Sign in with
Your question

Watching TV on your monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2004 7:15:05 PM

I want to be able to watch TV on my computer monitor with the minimal number of components.

I looked at the ATI All In Wonder 9600XT. It looks like that card will do the job but it appears from the users manual on ATI.com that you need a VCR to watch TV on a monitor. I also appears that the card is designed to send data from the computer to a TV screen. (Opposite of what I want to do)

Is there a video card (or PCI card) that will allow me to take the cable TV feed from the wall cable TV connector and feed it directly into my computer and watch that feed on one of my computer monitors? (No intermediate components)

I want to be able to run 2 monitors. One monitor is for doing work, game playing etc... and the other monitor is to watch/monitor a CATV feed (Weather, City Council meetings etc..). I have limited desktop space so the only things I want on my desktop are the 2 monitors. I want to get rid of the 15" TV I use.

The computer I want to set up in this fashion is the Dell GX240.

Thanks for your help.

More about : watching monitor

December 14, 2004 7:17:31 PM

Any ATI all-in-wonder card WILL take a TV cable feed and allow you to watch it on your monitor.

Cheaper to get a TV-wonder card if you're happy with your videocard, though. All it does is take in TV cable to allow you to watch/record on your computer.

a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2004 11:44:28 PM

You got it wrong. The AIW 9600XT contains the features of 2 cards on 1: The 9600XT and the TV-Wonder Pro are combined in that 1 All-In-Wonder card.

The card has Video In AND Video Out, plus a tuner. The tuner displays CATV and air TV signals directly to your computer monitor. It also allows you to record TV to your hard drive.

The INPUTS add more, they allow you to view stuff from a VCR if you want, or to use a tuner box. You'd only need a tuner box if you had scrambled cable or digital cable. Ordinary cable can be recieved through the built-in tuner.

The OUTPUTS would allow you to record to a VCR so long as the video you displayed was not copy protected.

So the AIW lets you treat your computer like a TV. You don't need to connect a VCR or anything if you don't want to.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
December 15, 2004 2:05:37 PM

Quote:
You got it wrong. The AIW 9600XT contains the features of 2 cards on 1: The 9600XT and the TV-Wonder Pro are combined in that 1 All-In-Wonder card.

The card has Video In AND Video Out, plus a tuner. The tuner displays CATV and air TV signals directly to your computer monitor. It also allows you to record TV to your hard drive.

Thank you for setting me straight.

Quote:
The INPUTS add more, they allow you to view stuff from a VCR if you want, or to use a tuner box. You'd only need a tuner box if you had scrambled cable or digital cable. Ordinary cable can be recieved through the built-in tuner.

The OUTPUTS would allow you to record to a VCR so long as the video you displayed was not copy protected.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
So the AIW lets you treat your computer like a TV. You don't need to connect a VCR or anything if you don't want to.

Yipeeeee!!!!! I didn't screw up and recommend the wrong product.

The quote tags are quite useful.
December 15, 2004 2:06:41 PM

Thank you for your help.
December 15, 2004 4:18:18 PM

NVidia also makes a AIW clone. I've been using mine for a week until I can get a faster card(long story - tyrying to make S.O. happy so I give her my old card..yada yada...) and it is slick. Definately as fast as a 9600XT and has a slew of goodies and features like a remote and IR-retransmitter and so on.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041110/buyer...
The 9600XT and the 5700 are essentially tied. The features on the Nvidia version, though, are pretty decent and might warrant a closer look as the card is less expensive than the AIW last I checked.
December 15, 2004 5:11:10 PM

The current graphics card is an ATI Radeon 7500. I am of the opinion that the easier upgrade path is to stick with the ATI product line.

I try to buy the best performer for the $$$ but in this case sticking with ATI made more sense to me.

(Proud owner of GeForce Ultra/GTS (R.I.P), GeforceFX 5600 & Geforce6 6800GT)
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2004 9:02:36 PM

I'm using the AIW 9600 Pro right now (no longer on the market).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 18, 2004 12:02:24 AM

What is the ATI equivalent to nVidia's dualview? I want to be able to display unique information on each of my monitors. I do not want monitor 2 to be a clone of monitor 1.

I've read the users manual but I couldn't find anything about displaying different stuff on different monitors.

How do I go about setting one monitor up to view the CATV feed while having my e-mail & spreadsheets displayed on the other monitor? I want to be able to see 2 different things at the same time.
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2004 12:52:27 AM

You can use Hydravisions to choose which display shows what. You can watch TV on the second monitor by going into advanced options and making it the primary display.

December 18, 2004 7:32:56 AM

... but you can of course always catch tv in an a sized window on any monitor

Abit IC7 Max II Adv.- P4E3.0@3.6 - CNPS7000B-CU - i875P - 1024mb dual ddr400 3-2-2-5 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(buttom/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b
December 30, 2004 12:56:25 PM

Excuse me for being dense but HOW do you do that?

Display/Monitor 2 is a clone of Display/Monitor 1 and Hydravision only shows that I have one Display. I can have 9 or more desktops but they are all for Display 1.

HOW do I get my card to see 2 seperate displays/monitors?

My brain is stuck in nVidia mode. I do NOT understand the the ATI way of handling dual monitors etc...

Thanks for your help.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2004 9:16:51 PM

I've never used Hydravision! In display properties>Settings I selected the second display, which unhides the "Extend My Windows Desktop onto this monitor". With that unhidden, I clicked the button. Now I had both displays showing an extra wide desktop. From there I went into "advanced" and went to "Displays", then clicked the little button next to the second display to make the card treat it as primary. Then when I opened the TV window, if I drug it onto the first monitor it was black, but if I drug it to the second (now treated as primary) it would show the TV image. From there, I could maximize the TV window to fill the second monitor.

It's been a while since I've had the space for 2 monitors.

January 6, 2005 4:58:11 PM

Crashman,

Thank you for your help. I got everything working the way it should.

This was for my boss at work.

I'm my own boss at home. :p 
!