Petition to save FIDO ?

Would setting up an on-line petition which would then be handed over to
Industry Canada, asking to preserve Fido for the sake of competition and
affordable mobile phone service be worth doing ?

Or is the dog already at the SPCA waiting to be put down by Rogers with
nothing that can be done to save it ?

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:31:23 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> Would setting up an on-line petition which would then be handed over to
> Industry Canada, asking to preserve Fido for the sake of competition and
> affordable mobile phone service be worth doing ?

ROTFLMAO!

testy

When has any branch of the government listened to the people?

Testy

"Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in news:lKcdd.24636$J16.915640
@news20.bellglobal.com:

> When has any branch of the government listened to the people?

they listen to people who turn in tax cheats

> When has any branch of the government listened to the people?

They do if they think people care about the issue.
In this case, I do think that a large enough petition drive
would make the Competition Bureau look hard into the
issue.

Also, in a minority government situation, the
opportunity to be heard is that much greater.

I think writing to the minister would be good,
if enough people do it. I'll certainly send
a short note:

Minister of Industry
The Honourable David Emerson
C.D. Howe Building
5th Floor, West Tower
235 Queen Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H5
Tel.: (613) 995-9001
Fax: (613) 992-0302
E-mail: Minister.Industry@ic.gc.ca

<SaveFido@competitionIsGood.com> wrote in message

>> When has any branch of the government listened to the people?
>
> They do if they think people care about the issue.
> In this case, I do think that a large enough petition drive
> would make the Competition Bureau look hard into the
> issue.
>
> Also, in a minority government situation, the
> opportunity to be heard is that much greater.
>
> I think writing to the minister would be good,
> if enough people do it. I'll certainly send
> a short note:
>
> Minister of Industry
> The Honourable David Emerson
> C.D. Howe Building
> 5th Floor, West Tower
> 235 Queen Street
> Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H5
> Tel.: (613) 995-9001
> Fax: (613) 992-0302
> E-mail: Minister.Industry@ic.gc.ca

Hi JF, you don't have to hide to express your opinion. Face facts though;
Fido is obviously not viable with their current pricing model.

"Brian G" <br1anNO@SPAMmail.com> wrote in

> Hi JF, you don't have to hide to express your opinion. Face facts
> though; Fido is obviously not viable with their current pricing model.

Again... not viable for OTHERS to continue. Fido is doing just fine.
Their finances turned around last year.

The other cell companies have serious debt (rogers in particular), and need
to raise prices, however nobody will pay $60 / 400 minutes when Fido comes
in at $20 less.

The buyout of Fido (note that Fido was NOT seeking suitors - Telus began
this whole thing with an unsolicited takeover bid) has nothing to do with
Fido's own economic situation.

> I think writing to the minister would be good,
> if enough people do it. I'll certainly send
> a short note:
>
> Minister of Industry
> The Honourable David Emerson
> C.D. Howe Building
> 5th Floor, West Tower
> 235 Queen Street
> Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H5
> Tel.: (613) 995-9001
> Fax: (613) 992-0302
> E-mail: Minister.Industry@ic.gc.ca

This address would also be useful:

Commissioner of Competition,
Competition Bureau
Sheridan Scott
Tel.: (819) 997-3304
Fax: (819) 953-5013
E-mail: scott.sheridan@cb-bc.gc.ca

Brian G wrote:
> Hi JF, you don't have to hide to express your opinion. Face facts though;
> Fido is obviously not viable with their current pricing model.

I am not the one who posted the industry canada and minister address/emails.
(And many thanks to the person who did).

In terms of Fido not being viable, this is not true. The fact that Fido
emerged from bankrupcy protection means that Fido is viable.

Furthermore, for canada, it is far better to have at least one competitor to
the big guys. Bell/Telus and Rogers don't compete on price, they compete on
advertising gimmicks.

Good Man wrote:
> The buyout of Fido (note that Fido was NOT seeking suitors - Telus began
> this whole thing with an unsolicited takeover bid) has nothing to do with
> Fido's own economic situation.

That is not quite accurate. When the banks converted Fido's debt into equity
during bankcupcy reorg, they became the major shareholders. Banks are on
public record that they would want to stabilize Fido and eventually sell their
shares so that they can get back some cold hard cash.

So the current owners of Fido made it quite clear that they were opened to
offers. In fact, one circular issued by Microcell went as far as stating that
Microcell top management actively sought bids. (Of course they would since
their board of directors told them to to reflect the wishes of the major shareholders).

>> They do if they think people care about the issue.
>> In this case, I do think that a large enough petition drive
>> would make the Competition Bureau look hard into the
>> issue.
>>
>> Also, in a minority government situation, the
>> opportunity to be heard is that much greater.
>>
>> I think writing to the minister would be good,
>> if enough people do it. I'll certainly send
>> a short note:
>>
>> Minister of Industry
>> The Honourable David Emerson
>> C.D. Howe Building
>> 5th Floor, West Tower
>> 235 Queen Street
>> Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H5
>> Tel.: (613) 995-9001
>> Fax: (613) 992-0302
>> E-mail: Minister.Industry@ic.gc.ca
>
> Hi JF, you don't have to hide to express your opinion. model.

Your assumption is incorrect. I have no idea who "JF" is.
I assume he is not well regarded by you. If so, you should
be careful before you fling what is essentially an accusation
at me.

There are many reasons people whish to remain annonymous.
Since I was only expressing factual information, my identity is
not relevant.

>Face facts though; Fido is obviously not viable with
>their current pricing

Don't know enough about their business to know this.
But it's irrelevant either way. Capitalism works best
when there is competition. 4 firms is better than 3.

No need for petition!. Rogers wants to keep the Fido brand and fight back
Bell with their Virgin mobile that will be launch in Jan-Feb-05

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> Would setting up an on-line petition which would then be handed over to
> Industry Canada, asking to preserve Fido for the sake of competition and
> affordable mobile phone service be worth doing ?
>
> Or is the dog already at the SPCA waiting to be put down by Rogers with
> nothing that can be done to save it ?

dl

I have sent my opinions month ago with to help maintain a competitive mobile
phone service industry.
----------------
Dear
Thank you for the comments you submitted recently to the Competition Bureau
regarding the proposed acquisition of Microcell Inc. by Rogers. Your
comments have been documented and forwarded to the case officers to be
included on the official file. All of these comments and concerns will be
reviewed by the case team as part of the ongoing review of the
Rogers/Microcell proposed transaction. If further information or
clarification is required, a case officer will be in touch with you.

Regards,

Luc Bourgeois
Enforcement Support Officer
Industry Canada
Competition Bureau - Mergers Branch Division A
50 Victoria Street
Gatineau, Quebec
Canada K1A 0C9