Petition to save FIDO ?

Would setting up an on-line petition which would then be handed over to
Industry Canada, asking to preserve Fido for the sake of competition and
affordable mobile phone service be worth doing ?

Or is the dog already at the SPCA waiting to be put down by Rogers with
nothing that can be done to save it ?
13 answers Last reply
More about petition save fido

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:31:23 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

    > Would setting up an on-line petition which would then be handed over to
    > Industry Canada, asking to preserve Fido for the sake of competition and
    > affordable mobile phone service be worth doing ?

    ROTFLMAO!

    When has any branch of the government listened to the people?

    Testy

    "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in news:lKcdd.24636$J16.915640
    @news20.bellglobal.com:

    > When has any branch of the government listened to the people?

    they listen to people who turn in tax cheats

    > When has any branch of the government listened to the people?

    They do if they think people care about the issue.
    In this case, I do think that a large enough petition drive
    would make the Competition Bureau look hard into the
    issue.

    Also, in a minority government situation, the
    opportunity to be heard is that much greater.

    I think writing to the minister would be good,
    if enough people do it. I'll certainly send
    a short note:

    Minister of Industry
    The Honourable David Emerson
    C.D. Howe Building
    5th Floor, West Tower
    235 Queen Street
    Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H5
    Tel.: (613) 995-9001
    Fax: (613) 992-0302
    E-mail: Minister.Industry@ic.gc.ca

    <SaveFido@competitionIsGood.com> wrote in message

    >> When has any branch of the government listened to the people?
    >
    > They do if they think people care about the issue.
    > In this case, I do think that a large enough petition drive
    > would make the Competition Bureau look hard into the
    > issue.
    >
    > Also, in a minority government situation, the
    > opportunity to be heard is that much greater.
    >
    > I think writing to the minister would be good,
    > if enough people do it. I'll certainly send
    > a short note:
    >
    > Minister of Industry
    > The Honourable David Emerson
    > C.D. Howe Building
    > 5th Floor, West Tower
    > 235 Queen Street
    > Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H5
    > Tel.: (613) 995-9001
    > Fax: (613) 992-0302
    > E-mail: Minister.Industry@ic.gc.ca

    Hi JF, you don't have to hide to express your opinion. Face facts though;
    Fido is obviously not viable with their current pricing model.

    "Brian G" <br1anNO@SPAMmail.com> wrote in

    > Hi JF, you don't have to hide to express your opinion. Face facts
    > though; Fido is obviously not viable with their current pricing model.

    Again... not viable for OTHERS to continue. Fido is doing just fine.
    Their finances turned around last year.

    The other cell companies have serious debt (rogers in particular), and need
    to raise prices, however nobody will pay $60 / 400 minutes when Fido comes
    in at $20 less.

    The buyout of Fido (note that Fido was NOT seeking suitors - Telus began
    this whole thing with an unsolicited takeover bid) has nothing to do with
    Fido's own economic situation.

    > I think writing to the minister would be good,
    > if enough people do it. I'll certainly send
    > a short note:
    >
    > Minister of Industry
    > The Honourable David Emerson
    > C.D. Howe Building
    > 5th Floor, West Tower
    > 235 Queen Street
    > Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H5
    > Tel.: (613) 995-9001
    > Fax: (613) 992-0302
    > E-mail: Minister.Industry@ic.gc.ca

    This address would also be useful:

    Commissioner of Competition,
    Competition Bureau
    Sheridan Scott
    Tel.: (819) 997-3304
    Fax: (819) 953-5013
    E-mail: scott.sheridan@cb-bc.gc.ca

    Brian G wrote:
    > Hi JF, you don't have to hide to express your opinion. Face facts though;
    > Fido is obviously not viable with their current pricing model.

    I am not the one who posted the industry canada and minister address/emails.
    (And many thanks to the person who did).

    In terms of Fido not being viable, this is not true. The fact that Fido
    emerged from bankrupcy protection means that Fido is viable.

    Furthermore, for canada, it is far better to have at least one competitor to
    the big guys. Bell/Telus and Rogers don't compete on price, they compete on
    advertising gimmicks.

    Good Man wrote:
    > The buyout of Fido (note that Fido was NOT seeking suitors - Telus began
    > this whole thing with an unsolicited takeover bid) has nothing to do with
    > Fido's own economic situation.

    That is not quite accurate. When the banks converted Fido's debt into equity
    during bankcupcy reorg, they became the major shareholders. Banks are on
    public record that they would want to stabilize Fido and eventually sell their
    shares so that they can get back some cold hard cash.

    So the current owners of Fido made it quite clear that they were opened to
    offers. In fact, one circular issued by Microcell went as far as stating that
    Microcell top management actively sought bids. (Of course they would since
    their board of directors told them to to reflect the wishes of the major shareholders).

    >> They do if they think people care about the issue.
    >> In this case, I do think that a large enough petition drive
    >> would make the Competition Bureau look hard into the
    >> issue.
    >>
    >> Also, in a minority government situation, the
    >> opportunity to be heard is that much greater.
    >>
    >> I think writing to the minister would be good,
    >> if enough people do it. I'll certainly send
    >> a short note:
    >>
    >> Minister of Industry
    >> The Honourable David Emerson
    >> C.D. Howe Building
    >> 5th Floor, West Tower
    >> 235 Queen Street
    >> Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H5
    >> Tel.: (613) 995-9001
    >> Fax: (613) 992-0302
    >> E-mail: Minister.Industry@ic.gc.ca
    >
    > Hi JF, you don't have to hide to express your opinion. model.

    Your assumption is incorrect. I have no idea who "JF" is.
    I assume he is not well regarded by you. If so, you should
    be careful before you fling what is essentially an accusation
    at me.

    There are many reasons people whish to remain annonymous.
    Since I was only expressing factual information, my identity is
    not relevant.

    >Face facts though; Fido is obviously not viable with
    >their current pricing

    Don't know enough about their business to know this.
    But it's irrelevant either way. Capitalism works best
    when there is competition. 4 firms is better than 3.

    No need for petition!. Rogers wants to keep the Fido brand and fight back
    Bell with their Virgin mobile that will be launch in Jan-Feb-05

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    > Would setting up an on-line petition which would then be handed over to
    > Industry Canada, asking to preserve Fido for the sake of competition and
    > affordable mobile phone service be worth doing ?
    >
    > Or is the dog already at the SPCA waiting to be put down by Rogers with
    > nothing that can be done to save it ?

    I have sent my opinions month ago with to help maintain a competitive mobile
    phone service industry.
    ----------------
    Dear
    Thank you for the comments you submitted recently to the Competition Bureau
    regarding the proposed acquisition of Microcell Inc. by Rogers. Your
    comments have been documented and forwarded to the case officers to be
    included on the official file. All of these comments and concerns will be
    reviewed by the case team as part of the ongoing review of the
    Rogers/Microcell proposed transaction. If further information or
    clarification is required, a case officer will be in touch with you.

    Regards,

    Luc Bourgeois
    Enforcement Support Officer
    Industry Canada
    Competition Bureau - Mergers Branch Division A
    50 Victoria Street
    Gatineau, Quebec
    Canada K1A 0C9