display Names vs local IP address?

Display Names vs local IP address?

is there a way to set up the router server so that it will pass on the names
of the other PCs on my home LAN? Im using XP and have a Linksys BEFSX41
router.

I am using a realvnc to monitor and control desktops on 3 other PCs and i
have to find and enter the IP address each time. If there was a name,
apparently it will display a choice. the VNC help suggested something about
DNC but I didnt see that feature in the router setup.

I also use Wallwatcher, and its supposed to show names of local machines vs
IP but I cant get it to do that either.
So im wondering if there is some routher setup thing I can do.

I have the latest firmware installed that is listed on the Linksys site.

thanks for any tips!
1 answer Last reply
More about display names local address

    windows Services, might look at Computer Browser & its dependencies.

    "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Display Names vs local IP address?
    >

    > is there a way to set up the router server so that it will pass on the
    > names of the other PCs on my home LAN? Im using XP and have a Linksys
    > BEFSX41 router.
    >
    > I am using a realvnc to monitor and control desktops on 3 other PCs and i
    > have to find and enter the IP address each time. If there was a name,
    > apparently it will display a choice. the VNC help suggested something
    > about DNC but I didnt see that feature in the router setup.
    >
    > I also use Wallwatcher, and its supposed to show names of local machines
    > vs IP but I cant get it to do that either.
    > So im wondering if there is some routher setup thing I can do.
    >
    > I have the latest firmware installed that is listed on the Linksys site.
    >
    > thanks for any tips!

IP Address Routers Windows XP Displays