Will XP backup utilility backup to a CD-RW disk?

In an article dated July 14, 2003, we are told that the XP backup utility
will not back up directly to a CD-RW disk.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

Question: Is this still correct? If so, it seems odd.

Tom
2 answers Last reply
More about will backup utilility backup disk

    Tom;
    Yes, it is still correct.
    You can back-up to another location then burn that to CD.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Doc Jones wrote:
    > In an article dated July 14, 2003, we are told that the XP backup
    > utility will not back up directly to a CD-RW disk.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
    >
    > Question: Is this still correct? If so, it seems odd.

    It is true and it doesn't seem odd to me.
    Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315255/

    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=544809
    John Savill / March 11, 2002
    Q. How can I use Windows XP's NTBackup to back up files to CD-RW?

    A. XP can write data to CD-RW, but not directly from NTBackup. However, you
    can place backup files in the XP CD-RW write subsystem's spooler, which
    effectively writes the data directly to CD-RW. To add files to the spooler,
    perform the following steps:

    Start NTBackup (go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click
    Backup).
    Select the Backup tab.
    Select the files that you want to back up to CD-RW.
    Select File for the type of "Backup destination."
    Enter the following file location:

    C:\documents and settings\<user name>\Local Settings\
    Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\Backup.bkf

    If you aren't sure what the <user name> variable needs to be, go to a
    command prompt and type
    echo %userprofile% to check your %userprofile% environment setting.
    After you specify the location of your files in the CD-RW cache, right-click
    the "CD write" icon in Windows Explorer and select "Write these files to CD"
    to write the backup files to CD-RW.

    Make sure the size of your backup doesn't exceed the capacity of your
    storage media.

    You do have this option for DVDs..
    http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/

    --