Will XP backup utilility backup to a CD-RW disk?

Tom;
Yes, it is still correct.
You can back-up to another location then burn that to CD.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Doc Jones wrote:
> In an article dated July 14, 2003, we are told that the XP backup
> utility will not back up directly to a CD-RW disk.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx
>
> Question: Is this still correct? If so, it seems odd.

It is true and it doesn't seem odd to me.
Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315255/

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=544809
John Savill / March 11, 2002
Q. How can I use Windows XP's NTBackup to back up files to CD-RW?

A. XP can write data to CD-RW, but not directly from NTBackup. However, you
can place backup files in the XP CD-RW write subsystem's spooler, which
effectively writes the data directly to CD-RW. To add files to the spooler,
perform the following steps:

Start NTBackup (go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click
Backup).
Select the Backup tab.
Select the files that you want to back up to CD-RW.
Select File for the type of "Backup destination."
Enter the following file location:

C:\documents and settings\<user name>\Local Settings\
Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\Backup.bkf

If you aren't sure what the <user name> variable needs to be, go to a
command prompt and type
echo %userprofile% to check your %userprofile% environment setting.
After you specify the location of your files in the CD-RW cache, right-click
the "CD write" icon in Windows Explorer and select "Write these files to CD"
to write the backup files to CD-RW.

Make sure the size of your backup doesn't exceed the capacity of your
storage media.

You do have this option for DVDs..
http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/

--