Sign in with
Your question

RADEON X850 XT PE vs. FireGL V7100

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2004 10:39:40 PM

Hi all,
I'm building a new system in january. ASUS P5AD2-E Premium, Pentium 4 560J (OC to 3.8Ghz, 1066MHz FSB), Audigy 2 ZS, etc... But i'm stuck on my graphics card solution.

First off, i'll preface this by saying i've used ATi's top line gaming cards in my new systems for a while now, mainly b/c i wanted power at a price i could afford. But now i can afford to get something better if i want.

I'll be using my computer for everyday use, as well as gaming, and DCC (Digital Content Creation). I use Newtek Lightwave 3D on a regular basis for work and recreation, as well as other 3D programs like MAX and Maya.

My question is this, given what i'll be using the computer for, is it time to get something like the Fire GL v7100 instead of a RADEON X850 XT PE? Where would i notice a difference, positive or negative, between the two? What are the main differnces in the two cards besides a list of specs? As in, what do the different specs between them do?

Thanx to anyone for their help, i really appriciate anything anyone can offer.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LogicSequence on 12/15/04 07:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 16, 2004 12:59:54 PM

The FireGL would have better drivers for 3d applications like 3dStudioMAX, lightwave, etc. better refresh rates in viewports and such.

To be honest, gaming 3d cards are pretty good nowadays in 3d apps, I'd save the cash and go with the X850 but that's just me. I don't think it's worth the extra cash unless ALL you do is work in CAD.

Related resources
December 16, 2004 7:17:55 PM

well DCC IS my job. i do it for a living.
December 16, 2004 8:26:42 PM

DCC is my job, too, but I've found that a decent gaming card will perform well enough in 3d apps, and if you use your computer for gaming and what have you it performs as good as a professional 3d card in those areas.

If you're super hardcore, and you have the cash to burn, then by all means get the FireGL.

December 17, 2004 4:12:56 PM

cleeve:
well i have a RADEON 9800pro right now, and to be honost, it's bothering me in Lightwave. I mean i work with models that have 1Million+ polys all the time, and even to rotate that around is like a freakin slide show... a bad slow one at that.
December 17, 2004 4:51:27 PM

1 million polys, eh? I don't think a professional card is going to make all that much difference to you in that kind of scene, but give it a shot.

I suspect you won't be impressed at the difference...

December 17, 2004 7:28:25 PM

Yeah, the videocard memory in professional 3d cards is for storing tons of texture data from what I understand.

Like Wusy said, there is a 9800PRO-to-FireGL softmod out there I believe. FireGL professional cards are basically gamer videocards with a BIOS tweak that allows them to use the professional 3d drivers.

You might want to look for the softmod (a simple, free software program that allows your 9800 PRO to be detected as a FireGL) and try it out to give you an idea what kind of performance a true FireGL would provide.

Ask around on the Rage3d.com forums, probably lots of knowledgable fellows there when it comes to softmodding a 9800 PRO to a FireGL.

And don't forget to come back here and let us know how much better it works. :) 

December 18, 2004 1:31:46 AM

If you got money to burn, get two 512MB quadros in SLI for a GB of DDR3 memory. Even the hugest models will fit in there. It will demolish any single card you can get. Even the Wildcat Realizms. You might want to consider a different CPU like the E0 stepped ones. Power draw is going ot be huge on that system no matter what though so I hope you got a good PSU :D 
December 18, 2004 6:30:02 PM

thanx everyone for suggestions. I will be getting an E0 stepping cpu, P4 560J. To be honost i haven't decided what i'm going to do yet. The FireGL is tempting, but... expensive. And i SHUDDER at the thought of Nvidia.... i haven't bought Nvidia since their whole cheating incident. and SLI.. man... that takes up too many PCI slots on the back of my case. Gah... Anyways... i'm still deciding, i will keep updating tho.
!