OVERCLOCKING AND VOIDED WARRANTIES

Simpleton

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
I don't mean to sound too prudent...but I am a bit wary of overclocking a very expensive card which will go bust before warranty expires for whatever reason (not necesarily related to the overclocking)and the manufacturer will not honor thge warranty. That will be really bad luck.

Also...when U overclock...R U supoused to install better case cooling system than the one with which your case came with?

cleeve

Illustrious
The solution is simple:

If it breaks, don't tell the manufacturer that you overclocked it... they don't possess any magic utility that differentiates overclocking damage from any other, as far as I know.

Just don't change the card's BIOS and you should be OK.

pauldh

Illustrious
They may check for signs that the Heatsink/fan have been removed. Should be easy for them to tell between thermal tape and Artic Silver. My feeling is if you haven't removed the heatsink nor flashed the bios, good chance your warranty isn't jeopardized, so OC away.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
This is true.

I sort of assumed simpleton hadn't done any hardware modification. If he has, it's probably worth it to scrub off the thermal paste, put some thermal tape on it, and emulate the stock appearance...

This is what I plan to do to my 9700 PRO if it ever dies. I'll have to re-glue the shim back on, too... :)

RichPLS

Champion
I know this wont stand up to some, but should to those with children and moral character.
It is not ethically or morally right to cheat stated warranties. Sure you can fudge and lie and probally get by on falsifying the warranty since these parts are a commodity and not repaired, but you who know the warranty stipulation know the risk involved and take that chance.
Overclocking is a choice with a chance for failure on your part, not the manufacturer.
The values you live by, your children will grow up by. It is how you view yourself and the attitude you present that is what your children learn by. Plus, you will know in your heart the truth, and will have to live with that decision.
Think about it, is it worth the sacrifice?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
By your definition, I am an anomaly because I have children, but no moral character.

I can live with that.

Perhaps we can justify overclocking and seeking warranty repair on cards made by any company that lowers gpu/memory clocks form advertised spec, or completely lowers the memory interface bandwidth from 256-to-128 bit or 128-to-64 bit without declaring it to the customer. (Geforce 5200 64-bit versions... Radeon 9800 PRO's from Sapphire and Powercolor... etc.)

Clearly, these companies should be responded to with the same moral character they have demonstrated to their customers, no?

Simpleton

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
FOR RICHPLS
Your comment about morals is a bit out of context here and U R out of focus when you analize one side of the equation only.

You are saying nothing about the totally corrupted and croocked attitude of the video card manufacturers who take advantage of the demand for video games to charge superinflated prices for video cards whose real market price is not even half what they charge today and they are becoming multibillion dollar giants thanks to idiots like us.
On top of that you can ad the also croocked actions of these companies that take advantage of the ignorance of most customers about video card specs...by producing cards almost totally voided of any guts with the same name and model number of those that do have guts and selling them as hot potatoes (all they do is ad some LE...or...SE...letters to the Model number).
To thgat you can ad the corruption of the majority of resellers that will not tell you some of the critical specs of a video card (which makes the whole difference in price and quality:EXAMPLE: Saphire ATI RADEON 9800 128 megs 258 bits versus same card but with only 128 bits) and they will intentionally hide the bits detail from ignorant customers (the majority)and sale it as a high en card.

Don't come here to talk about morals.

RichPLS

Champion
Oh, yeah, forgot, two wrongs make a right...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

aLawLz187

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
i oced my 9600pro for a while and after a while it got messed up [due to power supply issues not oc'ing because i had already reverted it to default speeds and had it running at that for about a month] RMA'd it to ATI and they sent me back a new one in about 10 days or so.

-lawler

A64 3500+ / K8N Neo2 Plat / BBA 9600pro / 2x512mb HyperX ddr500 / Audigy LS / Samsung 120gb

Wanna buy a Thermaltake XaserIII SuperTower Blk Edition w/ 420w psu UNOPENED, tell me.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Uh Duh!

That is the risk of getting more out of your money. Personally I dont give a flip about warranties since you just get refurbs back that perform less, there I go and thinking like an OCer again.

Honestly buddy, OCing is for those that KNOW what they are doing and are willing to take the risk. So the hell wat if it pops, just an excuse for me to upgrade.

Naturally more than stock cooling would be needed.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>