Blackberry with Fido?

Anyone know if Fido will offer this? Or will I have to wait for the
merger with Rogers since I dont want to change phone numer.

Thanks

M.
3 answers Last reply
More about blackberry fido

    Micho wrote:

    > Anyone know if Fido will offer this? Or will I have to wait for the
    > merger with Rogers since I dont want to change phone numer.

    While Fido doesn't market the blackberry, is there anything in its network
    that prevents a blackberry from working ?

    As I recall, this thing plugs into a specific server via IP/GPRS to push
    emails to you. So unless Fido blocks that port, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

    It won't work. BB are blocked for the Rogers Network and effectively, to
    work correctly as a data device, the BB connects to some internal servers of
    Rogers.

    You will have to wait until Rogers take over.

    By the way, Rogers will lauch their new 7290 end of Oct. and 7100t mid
    Nov...

    7290, 4band, 32 meg, bluetooth
    7100t, 4band, 32 meg, bluetooth, phone form factor (neat!)

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    > Micho wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyone know if Fido will offer this? Or will I have to wait for the
    > > merger with Rogers since I dont want to change phone numer.
    >
    > While Fido doesn't market the blackberry, is there anything in its network
    > that prevents a blackberry from working ?
    >
    > As I recall, this thing plugs into a specific server via IP/GPRS to push
    > emails to you. So unless Fido blocks that port, I don't see why it
    wouldn't work.

    well the older models were used on microcell.

    Keep in mind, RIM employees are entitled to a free blackberry to be used for
    work. And RIM had a large contract with microcell for Blackberry coverage
    and cell phone use (for use of fido phones.) that was of course before the
    Blackberry 7210 which was RIM's first phone enabled PDA. The 7210 did work
    on Microcell as it was tested on Microcell's network.

    "dafond" <dafond@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > It won't work. BB are blocked for the Rogers Network and effectively, to
    > work correctly as a data device, the BB connects to some internal servers
    > of
    > Rogers.
    >
    > You will have to wait until Rogers take over.
    >
    > By the way, Rogers will lauch their new 7290 end of Oct. and 7100t mid
    > Nov...
    >
    > 7290, 4band, 32 meg, bluetooth
    > 7100t, 4band, 32 meg, bluetooth, phone form factor (neat!)
    >

    > "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    >> Micho wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Anyone know if Fido will offer this? Or will I have to wait for the
    >> > merger with Rogers since I dont want to change phone numer.
    >>
    >> While Fido doesn't market the blackberry, is there anything in its
    >> network
    >> that prevents a blackberry from working ?
    >>
    >> As I recall, this thing plugs into a specific server via IP/GPRS to push
    >> emails to you. So unless Fido blocks that port, I don't see why it
    > wouldn't work.

Fido BlackBerry Internet Service Providers