Can't get better than 1Mbps

Like many others, I'm new to this wireless game, so would very much
appreciate a bit of help.
I'm trying to set up a simple ad-hoc network between a desktop, with a
Linksys WMP54G-EU PCI card, and an IBM Thinkpad T30, with a Linksys
WPC54G-EU PC Card. Although they're currently sitting only about four
feet apart, the best speed I can get is 1 Mbps. The signal strength is
shown as "excellent".
In fact, they seem to start up at a higher speed, but as soon as I
actually try to do anything, like open folders, the speed drops to 1
Mbps and stays there.
I'm in a small village, and I can't see any obvious sources of
interference.
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong (assuming my aspirations should
be a little higher than 1 Mbps)?

Martin Jones

mjj6048@hotmail.com (Martin Jones) wrote in

> Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong (assuming my aspirations should
> be a little higher than 1 Mbps)?

Is that megabytes or megabits.

That makes a big difference : )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

I once had two wireless antennas very close together. I experienced
a lot of packet loss.

-
Robert

"Martin Jones" <mjj6048@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Like many others, I'm new to this wireless game, so would very much
> appreciate a bit of help.
> I'm trying to set up a simple ad-hoc network between a desktop, with a
> Linksys WMP54G-EU PCI card, and an IBM Thinkpad T30, with a Linksys
> WPC54G-EU PC Card. Although they're currently sitting only about four
> feet apart, the best speed I can get is 1 Mbps. The signal strength is
> shown as "excellent".
> In fact, they seem to start up at a higher speed, but as soon as I
> actually try to do anything, like open folders, the speed drops to 1
> Mbps and stays there.
> I'm in a small village, and I can't see any obvious sources of
> interference.
> Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong (assuming my aspirations should
> be a little higher than 1 Mbps)?
>
> Martin Jones

>I'm in a small village, and I can't see any obvious sources of
>interference.
What channel are you using? Try changing it.
Are you using any kind of wireless hardware in the vicinity?
If so try shutting it off.
- mouse
- keyboard
- earphones
- phone
- TV
- microwave oven
- ?

/Jan

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Very true. There is such things as too much signal.

Michael