Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 on multi computers

Last response: in Windows 7
July 2, 2010 3:49:52 PM

Hey, I was wondering if I buy win 7 if I can install it like on my desktop and laptop? I know I use to do it was xp and vista on my computers and families computer without a problem. Or did Microsoft become cheap and make it only work on one comp? I understand they don't want it to be used on like a huge business network but it is ridiculous if I have to pay for 2 win 7 to put it on my desktop and laptop.

More about : win multi computers

a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2010 3:58:07 PM

Hi laserpup,

When Windows 7 was first released there was an option to purchase the Family Pack (3 installs), but it quickly sold out. Now all editions of Windows 7 come with one license meaning it can be installed on one computer only. However, if you are running XP or Vista on either of your computers, you can purchase an upgrade version of Windows 7 (saving you a little money over the full retail version).

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windwos Outreach
July 3, 2010 12:00:43 AM

cassandraf_winteam said:
Hi laserpup,

When Windows 7 was first released there was an option to purchase the Family Pack (3 installs), but it quickly sold out. Now all editions of Windows 7 come with one license meaning it can be installed on one computer only. However, if you are running XP or Vista on either of your computers, you can purchase an upgrade version of Windows 7 (saving you a little money over the full retail version).

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windwos Outreach

Ok, well then why wouldn't everyone just buy OEM version for system builders for half the price then getting the full retail?
July 3, 2010 12:23:31 AM

The OP violated the license agreement of both xp and vista by installing on more than one computer. He had to lie to MS to activate via the phone or wait the 6 months between installs so that MS online didn't catch the duplicate installs. Neither XP or Vista or any prior OS allowed installs on more than one PC...unless you had a volume license agreement
!