Help me choose a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastapro

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I am currently a computer science student and I need a new laptop to do some programming in. My main criteria includes

-high resolution screen(at least 1600x900 on 15'' screen)
-great speakers
-great keyboard/touchpad(for long hours coding)
-portable(13''-15'')
-under $1000(preferably around ~$800)

I will be doing NO gaming at all on this. It's mainly gonna be for music listening, watching movies, and doing coding work. A couple laptops I've been looking at are
-Sony Series S with Ivy Bridge i5(only flaws are the horrible speakers and color issues)
-HP Envy 15(only flaws are it runs hot and it's hard to find a good deal)
-Samsung Series 7 Chronos(only flaws are no ivy bridge, color issues, lower reso than previous 2)

Any other laptops I should look at? Right now I'm leaning towards the Sony Series S but the bad speakers are really a turn off for me.. Thanks guys.

mastapro

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
yea i guess battery life is pretty important. i can live with 4-5 hours on medium brightness. i'll be carrying the laptop around a lot to speak with people about the code and whatnot

mastapro

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Yea i've been suggested the thinkpads many times but i just can't get myself to get something that doesn't look nice to me. i recently just found a deal for a refurbished samsung 7 series that is about $600. right now it's pretty much between that and the sony s series. idk if the s series is worth $300 more than the samsung series 7 tho. the screen on the vaio s also makes me want to get it badly..

RoZmX

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I searched and searched for months for the perfect laptop for me. And it was the one I kept pushing aside because of looks. I have the thinkpad t520. And I got it for 650 with an upgrade 9 cell battery, and i5, and the higher screen resolution.

Once you own a thinkpad I don't think there is going back to "beautiful" laptops. You realize all that doesn't matter when you have a water resistant, super durable laptop, with easilyyy up gradable parts! I'd suggest taking a second thought about the thinkpad. All my friends joked about it's looks and now they all want one..

But I after my research I have found that the bang for your buck (either than the "ugly" thinkpad)
was anything asus. I found they had the best specs for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS