Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is gt650m better than hd 7670 m for gaming laptop?

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
September 10, 2012 4:09:14 AM

is gt650m better than hd 7670 m for gaming laptop?
September 10, 2012 4:32:15 AM

what does class 1 n class 2 model mean???
is there anything better than a gt650m?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 10, 2012 4:33:56 AM

yes its better.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 10, 2012 4:37:25 AM

its just general large tiers. a 650 todays standards for a laptop is on the higher spectrum of laptop gpus. IIRC the 7670 is a rebadged 6650 or somewhere near there.
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 4:51:18 AM

so getting a laptop with gt650m is recommended for high setting gaming?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 10, 2012 4:56:55 AM

well I should say laptop gpus arent the strongest(the 650m is maybe like a HD 7750 desktop gpu). Its better than most laptop gpus, but still isnt up there when it comes to performance comparing it to a desktop of course. the top 2 laptop gpus, 680 and 7970m barely reach the 7870 level(atm 260$ desktop gpu), thats telling you something
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 10, 2012 5:22:15 AM

The 7670M paired with an A10 can APU give the GT 650M some serious graphics performance competition.
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 5:40:54 AM

so what should i prefer a hd 7670 with core i5 3rd gen or a gt650m with core i5 3rd gen for hardcore gaming experience?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 10, 2012 5:43:34 AM

krishnakhatri said:
so what should i prefer a hd 7670 with core i5 3rd gen or a gt650m with core i5 3rd gen for hardcore gaming experience?


Mobile i5s are just mobile i3s with Turbo and maybe some more cache. It's not like desktop quad core i5s versus mere dual-core i3s.

If it's i5 plus GT 650M versus i5 plus Radeon 7670M, then the first option takes first place by far. If it's AMD A10 plus 7670M versus i5 plus GT 650M, the results are not so simple.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 10, 2012 5:44:09 AM

personally, i'd take the 650m
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 5:52:15 AM

should i prefer the samsung brands for laptops??or should i stick with dell?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 10, 2012 5:58:53 AM

Personally, I have a Clevo and Lenovo preference. However, with Samsung versus Dell, I'm not sure if either company makes notably better laptops than the other, so I'm not sure of which laptop I'd choose between them based on the branding.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 5:32:08 AM

One thing to remember is that Kepler GPUs (GT640/650/GTX660) can and will be different in laptops.

Case in point; Asus GT650m's use GDDR3 which is usually speculated to perform 5-10% (or more) less than a comparable GT650M chip on GDDR5 memory such as the MacBook pro which uses a GT650M with GDDR5 memory.

On the other hand you get manufacturers that love to mess with the speeds of the chips , memory, and cooling which limits performance due to heat.

Dells and Hp's are notorious for getting hot under load. Sony's use a highly underclocked GT640MLE which is 20% worse than a normal GT640M. Sammy's use standard chips but iirc was reputed to also get a bit warm under load. Lenovos are also excellent; same with asus.

If you get a kelper GPU; remember this. Every single chip is identicle be it a GT640m/650m/GTX660m. All that's different is clock speeds; memory interface; and cooling solutions of which all affects the performance of a laptop.

If its samsung vs dell.. i'd take samsung. Would prefer an Asus or a Lenovo or custome ones like a Clevo / Sager

m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 4:48:24 PM

lilotimz said:
One thing to remember is that Kepler GPUs (GT640/650/GTX660) can and will be different in laptops.

Case in point; Asus GT650m's use GDDR3 which is usually speculated to perform 5-10% (or more) less than a comparable GT650M chip on GDDR5 memory such as the MacBook pro which uses a GT650M with GDDR5 memory.

On the other hand you get manufacturers that love to mess with the speeds of the chips , memory, and cooling which limits performance due to heat.

Dells and Hp's are notorious for getting hot under load. Sony's use a highly underclocked GT640MLE which is 20% worse than a normal GT640M. Sammy's use standard chips but iirc was reputed to also get a bit warm under load. Lenovos are also excellent; same with asus.

If you get a kelper GPU; remember this. Every single chip is identicle be it a GT640m/650m/GTX660m. All that's different is clock speeds; memory interface; and cooling solutions of which all affects the performance of a laptop.

If its samsung vs dell.. i'd take samsung. Would prefer an Asus or a Lenovo or custome ones like a Clevo / Sager


GDDR3 on a modern graphics card? I didn't know that they still use it at all. Can you give me a link to look into this? I tried a web search but didn't find anything.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2012 10:14:03 PM

blazorthon said:
GDDR3 on a modern graphics card? I didn't know that they still use it at all. Can you give me a link to look into this? I tried a web search but didn't find anything.


some 7670m's and all 7730m are both GDDR3 cards as well as GT 620m/630m/640m as well as some GT 650m's. All modern graphics cards.
_________________________

7670m - http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M.69483....
7730m - http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7730M.72678....

GT 620m - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-620M.721...
GT 630m - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-630M.637...
GT 640m - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M.715...
GT 650m - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.718...
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 10:25:09 PM

I only see DDR3 and GDDR5 as options. No GDDR3. Are you sure that you didn't confuse DDR3 for GDDR3?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2012 10:26:51 PM

blazorthon said:
I only see DDR3 and GDDR5 as options. No GDDR3. Are you sure that you didn't confuse DDR3 for GDDR3?


I sure did. Nice catch and sorry for being misleading.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 10:42:39 PM

NP, I thought it was weird when you said GDDR3 because I haven't seen any new cards with that since either the DX 10.1 cards and maybe a few Radeon 5000/GTX 400 models :) 
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 6:35:30 AM

hell guys why are u arguing?i just need to figure out which is a better brand of laptop and what config is necessary for high or mid setting gaming????
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 12, 2012 12:10:24 PM

krishnakhatri said:
hell guys why are u arguing?i just need to figure out which is a better brand of laptop and what config is necessary for high or mid setting gaming????


No one was arguing and what went on is clear if you read the posts. We've already said what brands we think are the best. Unless you give us a budget, we can't recommend specific laptops to you.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:43:51 PM

mine budget is around 1200$ so please make it simple for me
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 12, 2012 3:14:12 PM

Is that $1200 USD?

Also, I just looked at your profile and looked up "biratnagar"... Asia? If that's where you live, can you give links to online stores that you can buy from? I can recommend laptops, but I don't know if you'd actually be able to afford them because I don't know how your listed location affects cost compared to the USA's prices.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 12, 2012 3:15:54 PM

krishnakhatri said:
wat is iirc????


I think that it's an acronym that stand for "If I Recall Correctly".
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 1:54:12 AM

yeah blazorthon bro thats rite im from nepal a country that is least developed in electronics items,electronics items such as laptops and its parts are hard to find and if you find them hardly it will cost u around double the rate that is mentioned in the website.....and concerning the price and affording a laptop,i m looking from flipkart.com,the site provides free shipping across indian states and as my brother studies their there is no issue in getting them shipped
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 13, 2012 2:39:40 AM

What do you think of this laptop:
http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-np355v5c-s03in-laptop-a...

7670 plus an A8-4500, it doesn't get much better than that. The GTX 650M would have similar performance, but the only laptop with that card from your linked website is almost twice as expensive, granted it does have an i7 CPU to justify the much higher cost as it's much faster than the AMD APU's CPU performance. The more expensive i7 laptop that I looked at is this model:

http://www.flipkart.com/dell-new-inspiron-17r-se-laptop...

The i7 laptop is around the top of your budget according to my currency calculator and the AMD laptop with similar graphics performance but inferior CPU performance is a little more than half of your budget according to the same calculator.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 3:29:53 AM

well i think my budget is around 52000 indian currency so how about i get this one please have a look,please mate help me with laptops as i ve never had one before,now i am looking to get one that worths every single penny of my money:
http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-np550p5c-s01
please help me if its a gaming system or does it sucks u can have a view at some more from flipkart.com and repost it after thinking whats right for my budget?
thanks buddy
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 13, 2012 1:46:51 PM

It won't let me see your links. Are they broken?

My first link is around 37600 Indian currency, so it should be well within the budget and provide the performance that you want.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 2:02:01 PM

so they are well within my range and i need to get the best
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 13, 2012 2:46:27 PM

The HP has an Intel CPU and a Radeon 7670M, so it is weaker than the Samsung laptop for gaming because the Samsung has the GT 650M. The laptops with a Radeon 7670M only have similar graphics performance when their CPU is an AMD A6 or A8 APU. The A6 and A8 APUs have decent GPUs built into them that can work with the Radeon 7670M to make a dual-GPU array that has similar graphics performance to the GT 650M.

The AMD laptop's performance per core on the CPU is a little low for modern gaming and many games might have problems with it. It offers similar graphics performance to the Intel laptop, but the CPU is weaker.

If you want to save money, then there are some tricks that you can do to really help the AMD's laptop's CPU performance, but no offense, you don't seem like the sort who likes dealing with advanced settings. The Intel laptop is the better way to go if you're willing to spend the extra money.
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:39:30 AM

please teach me those tricks i wanna be adie hard gamer....and wanna get the value of every single penny i pay....help me figure out
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 14, 2012 2:46:01 AM

If you insist. There is a program called PS Check from AMD. It can be used to alter the P states of the CPU (power/frequency states). You could use it to cut down the second core of each module (four cores of a CPU are organized like this: Core 0, Core 1, Core 2, Core 3; You'd be cutting down Core 1 and Core 3's P states) and boost the first core significantly. It probably wouldn't be able to quite match the mobile Intel i3/i5 CPUs, but it would be plenty powerful enough for some decent gaming. This would give it a good boost in games except BF 3 MP. If the laptop also has BIOS control of settings such as the BLCK and the memory frequency (unlikely, but possible), then you could do a little more with some minor overclocking.

However, like I said, this is advanced. If you're sure that you want to do it, then you know what laptop to buy and you now know what you'd need to do to work with it properly. If you need help on using the program, then there are probably some online tutorials that you could follow and/or you could come back to the Tom's forums for more help.
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:57:02 AM

ok can u give me those links for online tutorials?????
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 14, 2012 3:24:52 PM

Well, I've looked and looked, but I haven't found any, my bad. I'll send a PM to someone who I've talked to and supposedly did this with his/her own laptop that has a similar Trinity APU.
m
0
l
September 15, 2012 11:05:11 AM

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?276190-AMD-PSCHECK-for-Bulldozer-UPDATE-NEWER-VERSION-amp-INSTRUCTION-HOW-TO-USE-IT

That's PS Check and a quick guide on how to use it.

It's the program LN2 overclockers use to tweak their CPU's for maximum speed, it gives you a very large amount of control over your CPU's clock and voltage.

Modern CPU's actually have multiple clock / voltage settings, what's in the BIOS is just the default / maximum setting. If the CPU has an unlocked multiplier then you can not only set the maximum but also all the settings from the lowest (800Mhz) to the highest. A CPU's highest clock is often determined by it's temperature output (TDP), by underclocking unused cores you cause them to use less power / heat which free's up more power / heat for the core you do want to overclock. This is especially true for laptops which tend to have really bad thermal solutions, OEM's are cheap.

For the 7670 vs 650, it's a big game of "it depends". With generic DDR3 memory their both pretty much the same as their memory bandwidth starved. With GDDR5 the 650 pulls ahead by a good margin. Seeing as we're on a budget it might be a bit hard to find a good notebook with GDDR5 for it's GPU.

I used to be a big fan of the HP DV6/7z series but lately they've been making their notebooks without an internal dGPU and your stuck only using the iGPU. Of course their DV6/7t line (Intel CPUs) have dGPU's with them, so kinda puts me off that they would do that.
m
0
l
September 15, 2012 4:00:19 PM

But does the HD7670 1GB version have equal performance to the GT650M 2GB GDDR3 version? Because I am looking at 2 laptops now, both have a i7 3610QM.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 15, 2012 6:02:56 PM

Differences in capacity beyond 1GB will not make a difference for these cards. 2GB isn't better than 1GB unless you go for a much faster card.

I missed where the GT 650 M in your laptop is only DDR3. The AMD laptop has better graphics performance than the GT 650M DDR3 in that Intel laptop has.
m
0
l
September 15, 2012 6:25:31 PM

ok then blazthrone make it simple for me give me choices of laptops from flipkart.com..........
m
0
l
September 15, 2012 6:52:14 PM

the dell one is way too expensive for me buddy
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 15, 2012 7:00:51 PM

The Samsung laptop that I linked does exactly what you want to do, would let you get some somewhat hardcore experience with the computer's CPU (you seemed interested by that earlier), and would be far cheaper. It would seem to be the best option that you have from that website, so it's my recommendation, unless you want to look at other want sites too.
m
0
l
September 16, 2012 2:04:58 PM

AMD's hybrid crossfire is just a marketing gimmick i have an asus k53ta and never use crossfire option it microstutters have too many bugs and drivers never get any mature as said if you have the choice gt650 ddr3 ddr5 both miles away better than 7670m + crossfire option
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 16, 2012 3:20:15 PM

arabcian said:
AMD's hybrid crossfire is just a marketing gimmick i have an asus k53ta and never use crossfire option it microstutters have too many bugs and drivers never get any mature as said if you have the choice gt650 ddr3 ddr5 both miles away better than 7670m + crossfire option


That's with a weaker APU and a weaker graphics card. I also have to ask what the driver version that you're using is and if you properly updated it by booting into safe mode, using Driver Fusion to completely delete the AMD graphics drivers or a similarly thorough method, and then restarting the computer and installing the newest driver version. Current drivers or this are quite mature, so you almost definitely didn't set it up properly. That you mistook GDDR5 for DDR5 does not help your case.
m
0
l
September 18, 2012 12:02:04 AM

blazorthon said:
That's with a weaker APU and a weaker graphics card. I also have to ask what the driver version that you're using is and if you properly updated it by booting into safe mode, using Driver Fusion to completely delete the AMD graphics drivers or a similarly thorough method, and then restarting the computer and installing the newest driver version. Current drivers or this are quite mature, so you almost definitely didn't set it up properly. That you mistook GDDR5 for DDR5 does not help your case.



i didnt bothered to mention its graphic memory sure were talking about graphic cards

i tried every possible combination in the catalyst center to make crossfire benefitable but it was only a hassle. do you have a fusion lappy? have you ever tried messing options ?? im not the only one who think hybrid crossfire is a joke there many people on the net regret to buy those tech for believing that hybrid crossfire does make a difference but no hope. Just get the gt650m, if you go amd way you ll only be disappointed
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 18, 2012 1:36:20 AM

arabcian said:
i didnt bothered to mention its graphic memory sure were talking about graphic cards

i tried every possible combination in the catalyst center to make crossfire benefitable but it was only a hassle. do you have a fusion lappy? have you ever tried messing options ?? im not the only one who think hybrid crossfire is a joke there many people on the net regret to buy those tech for believing that hybrid crossfire does make a difference but no hope. Just get the gt650m, if you go amd way you ll only be disappointed


The problem is probably that you have a weak CPU. Try using PSCheck as stated above to increase one core's performance while decreasing the other core's performance to see if it helps. The A8s and A10s are a lot better than the Trinity A6s. Dual Graphics does work when it is set up properly and the CPU isn't too weak.
m
0
l
September 18, 2012 4:33:51 AM

so u guys mean that hd 7670m is weaker in every possible manner than a gt 650m???????
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 18, 2012 11:49:03 AM

The 7670M plus a good APU is not weaker than the GT 650M.
m
0
l
!