Graphic card AGP 8X working at 4X

sasamaes

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
Hi,

I have a new GeCube RADEON 9600 PRO, wich supports AGP 8X.

My mobo is a GigaByte GA-8SG800, wich also supports AGP 8X, but the BIOS only recognizes the card as 4X. It doesn't give me the option to set to 8X.

I have the latest BIOS release, F5, wich is from early 2003, but anyway it should recognize the card as AGP 8X capable and it doesn't.

I'm wondering where the problem is, and if the card might not be a real AGP 8X card.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
it should be 8x. Do you have the catalyst drivers installed. goto the smartgart options in the CCC or in the ATi control panel and see what speed it says there.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

sasamaes

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
Thanks for answer,

I took a look and it says "actual AGP Speed: 4X". And the slide bar shows a possible range of 1x, 2x and 4x. Nothing about 8X.

What chipset does that mobo feature? You might have read one of those tricky phrases that means it CAN run 8x cards BUT at 4x or something. Try clearing the bios to defaults and if that doesnt work, perhaps try inserting another card then switch back to force it to check.

On the other hand 8x and 4x aint such a big diffrence - they both perform just about the same, maybe 1 or 2 fps diffrence.

sasamaes

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
Hi,

My mobo has SiS 648. This mobo is supposed to run any 8X card at 8X as the instructions manual and BIOS references say it is. The very same BIOS says "AUTO, 4X and 8X", just "8X" doesn't appears in the drop menu.

I sent an e-mail to the GigaByte Tech Support, let's see if they give me a logical answer...

Thanks again ;)

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well simple proble with simple resolutions here. Go into your bios and see if it gives you 8x option. If not, FLASH your CMOS and try again. If not, reinstall the AGP card and make sure it is making proper contact, may have you unscrew it from the case at this time. If nogo, make sure you have the right bios installed, could reinstall but most of the time does not do anything. If nogo there, try the card out on another machine that uses AGP 8x mobo to see if its your mobo or need to ditch that AGP card.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

pauldh

Illustrious
I bought an Asus GF4Ti4200 8X 128MB refurb video card from newegg. It only was recognized as a 4X (probably why it was rma'd). Anyway, I put it in many systems that supported AGP 8X, and only on two (out of at least 6 of them) was I able to get it to be recognized as an 8X. I chalked it up to the card maybe not quite aligning right in certain cases/mobos? Anyway, it didn't bother me, as even as a 4X it was by far the <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7677017" target="_new">fastest Ti4200</A> I own stable at 320/640 on stock cooling.

Anyway, just wanted to confirm it can happen while not having anything to do with bios/driver version/settings. Although, it performed so well, that I gave up and decided it wasn't worth any more time trying to figure out what the problem was. I would have assumed it was just a 4X card with amazing ram (ti4200 128MB 4X's usually had slower clocked ram compared to 8X versions or 4X 64MB versions). But once I found that infact it was recognized as an 8X in some systems, I was stumped but assured it was an 8X card afterall.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 12/19/04 09:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

sasamaes

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
Finally, I give up.

I installed a patch named "SiS AGP (GART)" wich comes in the mobo CD, and now the driver of the card detects 8X at SMARTGART, but the BIOS still has it at 4X, what is to me that this is a BIOS problem and that's all, no solution here.

Thanks to you all for your answers :)