XP Home repair installation of OEM copy with Upgrade copy

I have an HP Pavillion laptop that won't start Windows XP Home using any
method (safe mode, etc). I wanted to do a repair installation using the OEM
version windows recovery disks that came with it. Unfortunately, the system
recovery disks that HP supplied do not allow you to do a repair installation
of windows (they only allow the hated reformat & reinstall method). I had
purchased a windows XP Home upgrade CD for my PC, and tried using that disk
to do the repair installation on the laptop. It won't allow me to enter the
windows product key from the laptop with the PC's windows upgrade disk,
though. Is there a way I can use the PC's windows upgrade disk to repair the
laptop's copy of windows, or do I have to do it the HP way and trash
everything on the laptop's hard-drive to get windows working again?
2 answers Last reply
More about home repair installation copy upgrade copy

    All you need to do is follow the HP procedure for performing
    a "non-destructive" recovery. You cannot use your upgrade CD
    to perform a repair install on your HP laptop since the HP
    Product Key will only work with a HP recovery method.

    Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
    recovery operation.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Jason Borden wrote:
    > I have an HP Pavillion laptop that won't start Windows XP Home using any
    > method (safe mode, etc). I wanted to do a repair installation using the OEM
    > version windows recovery disks that came with it. Unfortunately, the system
    > recovery disks that HP supplied do not allow you to do a repair installation
    > of windows (they only allow the hated reformat & reinstall method). I had
    > purchased a windows XP Home upgrade CD for my PC, and tried using that disk
    > to do the repair installation on the laptop. It won't allow me to enter the
    > windows product key from the laptop with the PC's windows upgrade disk,
    > though.

    That's correct. Product Keys are bound to the specific *type* and
    language of CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with
    which they are purchased. For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key
    won't work for any retail version of WinXP Home, or for any version of
    WinXP Pro, and vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with
    a full version CD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to
    install a retail product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an
    English CD. Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed &
    matched.

    > Is there a way I can use the PC's windows upgrade disk to repair the
    > laptop's copy of windows,

    No, I'm afraid not. But, if you can borrow an OEM installation CD from
    someone else, it could be used with your Product Key. Dell and Gateway
    normally provide their customers with true installation CDs, as do small
    systems builders. Ask around amongst your friends.

    > or do I have to do it the HP way and trash
    > everything on the laptop's hard-drive to get windows working again?

    If you can't find someone who can lend you a true OEM installation CD,
    it may come down to that, unfortunately.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm