(Mis)Applied Theme makes EVERYTHING black. Help?

Deckard

Distinguished
May 29, 2005

I am a Windows XP Pro user. After applying a new theme to Windows my entire
desktop went black, with the exception of a few colourful icons (the start
button and Quick Launch icons) and the wallpaper. Now I can launch programs,
open folders, etc, but they appear only as an entirely black rectangle on the
screen. Without being able to see anything, I'm having a hard time fixing
the problem.

Things I've tried already: System Restore doesn't recognize any recent
changes to the system, and won't revert. I applied other themes that used to
work fine (even though the window is black, I was able to figure out where
the buttons were from looking at another comp) and while they change the
wallpaper, everything is still black, no matter what theme I use. Starting
in safe mode doesn't change anything.

Any tips or nudges in the right direction are appreciated.

Press F8 on restart, then select 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt'. Run the command to use System Restore.

HOW TO Start System Restore Tool from Command Prompt (Q304449): http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q304/4/49.asp

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509