Which graphics card for this retro system?

slam

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
Which graphics card for this retro system?

Specs are

Abit BE6 II V2.0 440BX Chipset (2X AGP)
P3 slot1 1Ghz 133Mhz bus CPU
768mb PC133 Crucial SDRAM
450 Watt PSU

The one feature I’m looking for in the new card is the ability to play DVD’s/.avi files from my computer to my TV. Besides that, just the fastest 2X AGP compatible graphics card there is. I don’t mind if I go overkill and end up having some other component be the limiting factor – eventually, the card will be transferred to a newer system.

My thoughts were to get a ATI 9800 Pro 128mb which can currently be had for just $140 on pricewatch (actually cheaper than a 9700 pro). Would this let me watch DVD’s/.avi files played though my computer on my TV and would it work on my computer?

slam

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
I was initially going to get a 9600XT but the are only 4X/8X. pro version might be a good idea - a good bit cheaper and there's the 256mb version

slam

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
ok, now i notice a further $30 difference between a 128mb and 256mb version - is 256mb really going to do anything for me?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A 9800 Pro with 256-bit memory interface, 128MB, would be GREAT!

Beware that MOST of the 9800 Pro's on the market now use a 128-bit memory interface, that's why they're cheaper. This version of the 9800 Pro is actually just a 9500 Pro on steriods (it's a 9500 Pro with the 9800 chip and higher speed RAM).

Beware of the specifications on 9800 Pro boards. There are a lot of economy versions people will try to sell you hoping you don't know the difference.

Of course a REAL 9800 Pro 128MB (256-bit memory interface) will be a lot of card for that system.

You might consider looking very hard for a 9700 Pro. These can be had for around $130, when available. They perform MUCH BETTER than the 9800 Pro with 128-bit memory interface.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, you're not listening: The 9600 series doesn't support AGP 1.0 spec boards at all, it doesn't even fit the slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
By the way, I used to test your model of board with a Tualatin Celeron 1.1GHz overclocked to 1650MHz at 150MHz FSB! I used the Upgradware Slot-T adapter, this adapter is similar to the Abit Slotket III, but allows tulatins on boards like yours, and cost $20.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, by the way, you'll want to make sure the company you buy from has a reasonably good return policy. The reason? Most newer cards don't like AGP overclocking.

slam

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
let me get back to you - i think i'll put the purchase on hold. you've prompted me to come up with a million questions with your knowledge but no time to write now - celtics game!

slam

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
so crashman, the best cpu i could fit in this BE6-II (using the upgradeware slot-t) would be a 1.4 ghz tualatin at 133mhz bus with 512k cache? (i think this was a server cpu but should still be best) can you confirm that?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
9800 Pro had both key notches, 9800XT didn't. So when I'm telling people what cards fit, I have to make that exception.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. But a Celeron 1100@1466 is almost as fast as a PIII-S 1400, and cost around 1/4 the price.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dr. Wu, all the links in the world aren't going to change the fact that AGP divider options are limitted to 1:1 and 2/3 FSB.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll give you a clue: The BX (and ZX) chipset had the following ratios available:

AGP:FSB
1:1, 2:3

PCI:FSB
1:2, 1:3, 1:4

RAM:FSB
1:1

Now, what do you think?

Some boards had the correct clock generator to support the 1:4 PCI ratio while others didn't.

slam

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
I don't mind spending the money if the PIII-S 1400 is a little better - would i even be able to oc that?

ok, all this divider stuff confuses the hell out of me. am i going to have problems with say a 9600/9700/9800 pro?

with what card am i going to stop seeing a performance increase (where something else will become the limiting factor)?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't use a 9600 series card. 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro may work, or they might have a problem with the overclocked bus. At 133MHz CPU bus, your AGP clock is raised to 89MHz from the standard 66MHz. Cards from around 2001 were designed to tolerate such deviance, others aren't. But you don't know unless you try.

As for the PIII-S 1400, it's so expensive you could just as easily start off with a newer board and CPU.

slam

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
i'm just like that with computers - i'll get every thing i can out of a board before i start messing with a new one

i thought the only cards i'd have problems with are the 9600XT and 9800XT as they have a different core from all the other 9600/9700/9800 models

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well then, may I suggest trying to get a Tualatin Celeron 1200 to 1600MHz at 133MHz FSB?

Sure you can overclock the PIII-S 1400, but how far do you think you'll get when it's already using a 133MHz bus at stock?

slam

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2004
i'll really get the celeron to run at 133mhz fsb?

that isn't a bad deal - i can get one for $38

let me ask you this. if money was not a concern, what cpu would you buy for this be6-II? or ultimately, what cpu is going to give the best performance after overclocking?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by slam on 12/19/04 11:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the chances of getting a Tualatin to 1.6GHz are around 50%. My Celeron 1200 was one of the failures, it wouldn't go much past 1.5GHz. My Celeron 1100 was one of the sucesses, it would go to 1650MHz (150MHz FSB). I've heard the later CPU's would clock higher than the older ones, so perhaps your chances of getting a 1200 to 1600 are better now than they were then.

The Slot-T has voltage identification pin jumpers (VID). Those can be used to bypass your CPU's VID pins and make the system start with the CPU vCore you choose. I'd choose 1.65v to start, go to 1.70v if it works but with minor instability, or drop the vCore a bit if it works perfectly to find a lower vCore that's still stable (less heat, longer life).