Choppiness in game demos with new 6600 GT

lljh

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
I just installed a new BFG 6600 GT OC (AGP) yesterday. It is running on a system I built a month ago:

Asus P4P800-SE MB
Intel P4 3.0E
1 GB of PC3200 dual-channel RAM
80GB SATA

I have the card overclocked to 545mhz core/1094mhz memory and my CPU is overclocked slightly to 3.15.

My scores in 3dmark05 and 3dmark03 aren't bad (3309 in 05), but I noticed that the demo in 05 ran choppy (usually a vertical line across the top or middle of the screen that flickers as it moves). I figured this was because it was a demo that usually works with the higher-end cards like the 6800 Ultra and X850 pros.

Then I downloaded the Doom3 demo and when I started it I had the same problem (opening scene is choppy with the flickering).

I have downloaded a demo from Nvidia which works great, but the other stuff has me worried. I figured I would at least be able to run Doom3 smoothly at high resolution. (The game seems to run well, but not the animated scenes).

Do you think its just because these are demo versions that they aren't running well? Could it be something else?

Thanks for any advice.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lljh on 12/18/04 05:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Plekto

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
The solution is to find and download a program called Reforce. With it you can scan every possible scanrate that your OS and monitor will do and then lock each mode down.

I set mine to 60hz for every resolution possible. Now my monitor and every last program/game/etc only see 60hz as the one and only refresh rate.

All of my direct-x glitches and crashes ceased as well.