error (257)

May 29, 2005 8:00:01 PM

I think that I posted this to the wrong group. Anyway, I just built a new
computer because my old harddrive died. I am trying to install XP now.

When I boot from my XP CD, I get the windows setup screen, and it loads all
it's files. Then I get the error: "An unexpected error (257) occurred at
line 5118 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c. Press any key to
continue." When I hit a key, about a minute passes then the Welcome to Setup
screen comes up. I accepted the license agreement, then it says it can't
find a previous version of windows so I put in my win98 cd. It accepts that
and then says that it found "32248 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atipi [MBR],
partition1 [unknown]. I delete the partition so it will create a new one.
This is a 200 Gig Seagate model ST3200822A drive. But at this point, I don't
care what size it says it is. I just want to get this system up and running.

I hit enter, and use the default NTFS file system formatting. It takes
about 5 minutes to format. Then I get the message: "Setup was unable to
format the partition. The disk may be damaged." It also says the usual -
make sure power is connected, etc. It tells me that I must select a
different partition for Windows XP. I have tried a different harddrive with
the same results.

Any suggestions would sure be appreciated....

Thanks!

-Wes-

More about : error 257

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 2:08:46 PM

The 200 gig drive is probably going t take some special setting in your BIOS, that the other drive did not need.

137 gig limit - How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509