sort of related

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
couple quick questions that are sort of related to graphix.

if you have a mother board, specificly a nforce3 board, is the on board sound decent? i know the sound from the nforce2 boards were pretty good. also if you have an nforce3 can you put ati on it, or does it cause some conflict? just curious. and finally does having onboard sound and lan steal power from the cpu? if so will it cause a big hit in performance?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Onboard sound steals power, usually its an AC97 solution and not very efficient or good, a cheap TurtleBeach or another card (even SB Live 5.1) will give you a slight boost and usually better audio.

ATI cards work fine with nForce3 boards. Neither ATI nor nVidia want to lose their market share by limiting the items things work with. There was some talk of nForce3 boards being tuned to boost nV performance, but that didn't pan out much beyond those initial engineering sample tests.

Neither nV nor ATI have enough of the MOBO market to do it, and they both have enough graphics card issues that they wouldn't want to introduce another to make people unhappy.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
ah thanks for the tip, and i just found something and i wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

<A HREF="http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13423&vpn=A8N-SLIDELUXE&manufacture=ASUS" target="_new"> nForce4 </A>

is this a decent board its the only one i have found so far. Also do sli boards come with that little card bus they need to connect or is that separate?

And i was just doing some research and it seems that a lot of ram producers advertise cas 2 on their ram but when put on an amd board it switches to 2.5. if you change the timing to 2.0 will it work anyway?
by the way is suprnova down or something? i can't get it open.
thanks for the help

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by johnnyinternet on 12/19/04 10:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Asus board is OK, I prefer the MSI and Gigabyte solutions, but the ASUS are first to market. MSI seems to have alot better tweakability.

The SLI bridge selector card should come with the mobo (notice it's an ASUS part in your link).

And i was just doing some research and it seems that a lot of ram producers advertise cas 2 on their ram but when put on an amd board it switches to 2.5.
That would be cheap ram IMO. Unless there's something funky with the MOBO it should Autodetect quality CL2 sticks and set it to CAS2.0 within the BIOS automatically. Sometimes you have stability issue with unmatched pairs, and that may be what the board decides is needed to achieve stability, but quality ram that is sold as CL2 should run at CAS2, although you may have to adjust the rest of the settings to achieve stability on your mobo.

Why would you want to open SuprNova? :evil:

Not at home, can't check right now.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
i see what you mean. what would be a top rated memory company?
also with msi and gigabyte releasing boards this comming spring, do you think they will be in the same price range or do you expect to see prices drop by that time? (i hope they do)

i need to open suprnova so i can....ummmm....
ok i am a thief. damn your sleuthing abilities ape!

Good Memory (Corsair [personal favourite, but not cheap], GEIL, OCZ, HyperX [by Kingston], Mushkin), all lines have their value ram. I like to get/have the <A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=8243&vpn=CMX512-3200C2 &manufacture=CORSAIR" target="_new">Corsair LowLatency stuff (XML)</A>, which isn't as expensive as the 'Platinum' or the 'PRO' (has the LEDs) but still good quality. I've heard good things about OCZ and HyperX, but everyone has their favourites.

Expect the MOBOs to drop somewhat, but not much beyond the 3rd week they hit the market (after the intial high price for new stuff).

ok i am a thief. damn your sleuthing abilities ape!
No sleuthing involved, takes one to know one. :evil:

That sux dude!

Only the threat of P2P keeps prices and quality anywhere near reasonable.

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
thanks for that wusy i was wondering what was going on. that really sucks. back to irc while its still alive. i hope they make a suprnova in like thailand or something.
anyone know of any other stable p2p systems?

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
thanks for the tip. is the heatspreader thats being advertised on ram chips truly necessary? i didn't realize ram got that hot.

Heat spreader is good to help OC'ing and yes RAM gets pretty hot. Just look at the graphics card ram, same idea.

Whether it's necessary or not would is questionable, but every little bit helps, and the better it can disipate excess heat, the more reliably it'll at faster settings.

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
oh oh, difference of opinion. can anyone tell me how ram gets damaged? perhaps it only takes a small amount of heat to wreck the junk. i guess it would be safe to say that if you plan to oc you should get a set of ram with heat spreaders just to be safe.

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
that was a bloody quick response. so thanks. static is brutal for everything it seems. you should go to bed its late.