Laptop won't boot without power cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

chribsen

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I recently spilled some coffee in my laptop, which unfortunately have caused some failures regarding the boot up.

When my DC cable isn't plugged in, i am not able to boot the laptop. However, if i plug my cable in, boot it, and unplug the cable there is no problem.

Could it be the CMOS battery, or some circuit on the motherboard which took some water damage during my little coffee-incident?

I haven't experienced any checksum failures, nor clock resets.

At the moment i'm not able to provide you with the name of the computer, but it's a Zepto Znote (Unknown danish brand) and it's about 3 years old and is running Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!

chribsen

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
My CMOS battery or laptop battery?

The laptop battery is fine. without power cord, it can keep power just as normal

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
You could try cleaning the motherboard of the laptop with rubbing alchohol, and drying it well. However if you clean away the coffee, and the problem persists, there isn't much you can do short of replacing the mobo.

This is just my opinion, but beyond thoroughly cleaning the spill/residue, the damage is likely to be unrepairable, since it will be individual electrical components that have been damaged, and are causing your rather unique issue. Beyond that, a new motherboard would probably fix it, however laptop motherboards usually aren't worth replacing (cost as much as a new laptop).

chrismith1991

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I have the same issue on a hp touchsmart tx2. Wont power on unless it is plugged in.
Once booted up I can disconect the mains cable and works fine for about 90 minutes
This is a brand new battery

Status
Not open for further replies.