missing my cd writing wizard..help!

This is the problem I have been dealing with. When I bought my computer
4 years ago, it had Windows ME in it. Since then I upgraded to XP Pro
and love it. I have reformatted it a couple of times over the years
leaving the FAT32 system in it. No one ever told me about the NTFS
system til recently. I have used my CD Writing Wizard over the earlier
time I had XP, but since I reformatted it again and changed it to NTFS,
I can't find the Writing Wizard now. I honestly don't know if it was
part of ME, Xp, or what. All I know is that it's gone and I have no
idea how to get it back. Can someone help me out with this?
Thank you..Mav

--
mavdrivr
mavdrivr's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13275

    Mav, go to Control Panel>AdminTools>Services>IMAPI CD Burning Service COM
    Make sure it's started. Rt click on it and select Properties>In the Startup
    Type box select Automatic.
    "mavdrivr" <mavdrivr.1ptpip@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message

    > This is the problem I have been dealing with. When I bought my computer
    > 4 years ago, it had Windows ME in it. Since then I upgraded to XP Pro
    > and love it. I have reformatted it a couple of times over the years
    > leaving the FAT32 system in it. No one ever told me about the NTFS
    > system til recently. I have used my CD Writing Wizard over the earlier
    > time I had XP, but since I reformatted it again and changed it to NTFS,
    > I can't find the Writing Wizard now. I honestly don't know if it was
    > part of ME, Xp, or what. All I know is that it's gone and I have no
    > idea how to get it back. Can someone help me out with this?
    > Thank you..Mav
    >

    > --
    > mavdrivr
    > mavdrivr's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13275
    > View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819076650

    Ok Rich...I did that and then tried it again. Before I reformatted this
    last time, when I got the sound wavs and songs together in the D drive
    to copy them to disk, the wizard came up. Since the reformat and even
    after trying what you said, my Media Player comes up. The first time it
    did that I tried to copy them to a disk and got several error messages
    telling me something about the format or something was wrong. After I
    followed your directions, I tried once again and there was the Media
    Player. Should I of rebooted afterwards? I do NOT want my Media Player
    involved in what I am doing...or trying to do lol ;) I just want my
    computer to be the way it was.

    --
    mavdrivr
    mavdrivr's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13275
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819076650

    You also need to right click the drive..properties..recording tab and
    be sure Enable CD recording on this drive is checked.

    "mavdrivr" <mavdrivr.1pur0q@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in
    message news:mavdrivr.1pur0q@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com...

    | Ok Rich...I did that and then tried it again. Before I reformatted
    this
    | last time, when I got the sound wavs and songs together in the D
    drive
    | to copy them to disk, the wizard came up. Since the reformat and
    even
    | after trying what you said, my Media Player comes up. The first time
    it
    | did that I tried to copy them to a disk and got several error
    messages
    | telling me something about the format or something was wrong. After
    | followed your directions, I tried once again and there was the Media
    | Player. Should I of rebooted afterwards? I do NOT want my Media
    Player
    | involved in what I am doing...or trying to do lol ;) I just want
    my
    | computer to be the way it was.
    |

    | --
    | mavdrivr
    | mavdrivr's Profile:
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13275
    | View this thread:
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819076650

    Ok, I checked and the Enable CD Recording IS checked. It all looks ok,
    but still nothing. I have also noticed that I can't put smilies in
    here. lol Oh well...I am also finishing up with the reformat of my
    husband's computer and one item that I removed to save and have put
    back in, won't show up the way it did before. It says it's an ARL file.
    He went from 98 to XP. Seems like I am striking out all the way around.

    --
    mavdrivr
    mavdrivr's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13275
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819076650

    I just bought a large pack of CD-R's, which is what I have always used.
    I will check out the site you gave me, I am just bummed out and
    disappointed that it don't work anymore..or it's just plain missing. If
    I knew where I could find it (disc for computer or wherever), I would
    just love to get it right again. I thank you so very much for your help
    and if you or anyone can figure this out for me, I would love an email
    from them. Thanks a lot..and now off to check out the link. :)

    --
    mavdrivr
    mavdrivr's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13275
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819076650

    Mav, are you using CD-R or CD-RW disks? You could try a free cd burning
    software. I like this one
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cdburnerxp.html

    "mavdrivr" <mavdrivr.1ptpip@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message

    > This is the problem I have been dealing with. When I bought my computer
    > 4 years ago, it had Windows ME in it. Since then I upgraded to XP Pro
    > and love it. I have reformatted it a couple of times over the years
    > leaving the FAT32 system in it. No one ever told me about the NTFS
    > system til recently. I have used my CD Writing Wizard over the earlier
    > time I had XP, but since I reformatted it again and changed it to NTFS,
    > I can't find the Writing Wizard now. I honestly don't know if it was
    > part of ME, Xp, or what. All I know is that it's gone and I have no
    > idea how to get it back. Can someone help me out with this?
    > Thank you..Mav
    >

    > --
    > mavdrivr
    > mavdrivr's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13275
    > View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819076650

    Ok I have an update for those trying to help me out. I have been to
    several forum posts thru many searches and read up on others that have
    sorta the same problems. I DID find the troubles I am quite sure. I
    found thru the Computer Management's Event Viewer, where it told me
    that my Cd-Rom has a Bad Block. I did more searches on this and what I
    found was that I either need to clean it up with a cleaning tool of
    some kind, or if that don't work...a new Cd-Rom is needed. This really
    upsets me. But what confuses me a bit is, the date it gave me that this
    "happened" is like a week or so before I reformatted this last time. And
    I had no troubles in burning my stuff out of here at that point. Unless
    changing from FAT32 to NTFS had something to do with it. Anyone have
    any ideas on this? And does this info sound about right with regard to
    cleaning or replacing?

    --
    mavdrivr
    mavdrivr's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13275