How to install missing file?

Tags:
  • Windows XP
May 29, 2005 11:59:01 PM

In an effort to create more hard disk space, I uninstalled several programs
that I no longer use. I used the add/delete windows program and when I had
finished, I was asked to restart my computer. When I did, windows wouldn't
start and gave me the message," Windows cannot start because the file
<windows root>system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install the
file."

I can't get windows to start in any mode........It starts to boot up but
stops with the same message every time.........what to do?

More about : install missing file

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 12:28:01 AM

Sorry, I hadn't found the 5/26 post concerning this same problem or I
wouldn't have posted my question......thanks anyway!

"Arky2marks" wrote:

> In an effort to create more hard disk space, I uninstalled several programs
> that I no longer use. I used the add/delete windows program and when I had
> finished, I was asked to restart my computer. When I did, windows wouldn't
> start and gave me the message," Windows cannot start because the file
> <windows root>system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install the
> file."
>
> I can't get windows to start in any mode........It starts to boot up but
> stops with the same message every time.........what to do?
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:25:17 AM

Can you find it in C:\I386?

"Arky2marks" <Arky2marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In an effort to create more hard disk space, I uninstalled several
> programs
> that I no longer use. I used the add/delete windows program and when I
> had
> finished, I was asked to restart my computer. When I did, windows
> wouldn't
> start and gave me the message," Windows cannot start because the file
> <windows root>system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install
> the
> file."
>
> I can't get windows to start in any mode........It starts to boot up but
> stops with the same message every time.........what to do?
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:32:42 AM

"Arky2marks" <Arky2marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In an effort to create more hard disk space, I uninstalled several
> programs
> that I no longer use. I used the add/delete windows program and when I
> had
> finished, I was asked to restart my computer. When I did, windows
> wouldn't
> start and gave me the message," Windows cannot start because the file
> <windows root>system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install
> the
> file."
>
> I can't get windows to start in any mode........It starts to boot up but
> stops with the same message every time.........what to do?

To retrieve HAL.SYS from the Windows CD-ROM

Start > Run. then type
MSCONFIG
Click Expand File (button)

OR

Extract a new copy of the hal.dll file from the Windows XP CD to the
Windows\System32 folder on your hard disk. To do so, type the following
lines at a command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CDROMDrive
is the drive letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows
XP CD-ROM, and Drive is the drive on which Windows is installed:

extract D:\i386\hal.dl_ Drive:\windows\system32\hal.dll

For example, if your CD-ROM is drive D and Windows is installed on drive C,
type extract D:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll, and then press
ENTER.

--
Michael