How to install missing file?

In an effort to create more hard disk space, I uninstalled several programs
that I no longer use. I used the add/delete windows program and when I had
finished, I was asked to restart my computer. When I did, windows wouldn't
start and gave me the message," Windows cannot start because the file
<windows root>system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install the
file."

I can't get windows to start in any mode........It starts to boot up but
stops with the same message every time.........what to do?
3 answers Last reply
More about install missing file

    Sorry, I hadn't found the 5/26 post concerning this same problem or I
    wouldn't have posted my question......thanks anyway!

    "Arky2marks" wrote:

    > In an effort to create more hard disk space, I uninstalled several programs
    > that I no longer use. I used the add/delete windows program and when I had
    > finished, I was asked to restart my computer. When I did, windows wouldn't
    > start and gave me the message," Windows cannot start because the file
    > <windows root>system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install the
    > file."
    >
    > I can't get windows to start in any mode........It starts to boot up but
    > stops with the same message every time.........what to do?

    Can you find it in C:\I386?

    "Arky2marks" <Arky2marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In an effort to create more hard disk space, I uninstalled several
    > programs
    > that I no longer use. I used the add/delete windows program and when I
    > had
    > finished, I was asked to restart my computer. When I did, windows
    > wouldn't
    > start and gave me the message," Windows cannot start because the file
    > <windows root>system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install
    > the
    > file."
    >
    > I can't get windows to start in any mode........It starts to boot up but
    > stops with the same message every time.........what to do?

    "Arky2marks" <Arky2marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In an effort to create more hard disk space, I uninstalled several
    > programs
    > that I no longer use. I used the add/delete windows program and when I
    > had
    > finished, I was asked to restart my computer. When I did, windows
    > wouldn't
    > start and gave me the message," Windows cannot start because the file
    > <windows root>system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install
    > the
    > file."
    >
    > I can't get windows to start in any mode........It starts to boot up but
    > stops with the same message every time.........what to do?

    To retrieve HAL.SYS from the Windows CD-ROM

    Start > Run. then type
    MSCONFIG
    Click Expand File (button)

    OR

    Extract a new copy of the hal.dll file from the Windows XP CD to the
    Windows\System32 folder on your hard disk. To do so, type the following
    lines at a command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CDROMDrive
    is the drive letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows
    XP CD-ROM, and Drive is the drive on which Windows is installed:

    extract D:\i386\hal.dl_ Drive:\windows\system32\hal.dll

    For example, if your CD-ROM is drive D and Windows is installed on drive C,
    type extract D:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll, and then press
    ENTER.

    --
    Michael

Windows XP