XP Install

May 30, 2005 12:42:01 AM

I'm having serious trouble. I have a freinds computer and tried reinstalling
XP Pro. He had it on and working but it was full of junk and a couple viruses
so we did the reinstall thing.

When it gets to installing devices [34 minutes left] it hangs. If you
restart the computer it will restart the setup and then it will go through.
It restarts after the initial install, but after that if we install SP2 and
reboot, the blue progress bar stops and starts forever [15-20 minutes] and
will not restart.

Tried this twice and the next time instead of SP2, we installed the free AVG
and rebooted and the same thing happened.

We then tried Windows 2ooo Pro and after the install it booted fine, but if
we install even AVG free edition, and reboot it hangs and will not restart.

Its a celeron 650 with 256 RAM.

I know its a bit weak, but XP was on and working fine before.

Any ideas

More about : install

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:31:54 AM

Could you swap out the 256MB of Ram temporarily. Flaky Ram is sometimes
the cause.
"syserror" <syserror@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having serious trouble. I have a freinds computer and tried
> reinstalling
> XP Pro. He had it on and working but it was full of junk and a couple
> viruses
> so we did the reinstall thing.
>
> When it gets to installing devices [34 minutes left] it hangs. If you
> restart the computer it will restart the setup and then it will go
> through.
> It restarts after the initial install, but after that if we install SP2
> and
> reboot, the blue progress bar stops and starts forever [15-20 minutes] and
> will not restart.
>
> Tried this twice and the next time instead of SP2, we installed the free
> AVG
> and rebooted and the same thing happened.
>
> We then tried Windows 2ooo Pro and after the install it booted fine, but
> if
> we install even AVG free edition, and reboot it hangs and will not
> restart.
>
> Its a celeron 650 with 256 RAM.
>
> I know its a bit weak, but XP was on and working fine before.
>
> Any ideas

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:31:55 AM

Just tried that. No luck. The blue progress bar still just freezes up and
nothing happens.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Could you swap out the 256MB of Ram temporarily. Flaky Ram is sometimes
> the cause.
> "syserror" <syserror@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having serious trouble. I have a freinds computer and tried
> > reinstalling
> > XP Pro. He had it on and working but it was full of junk and a couple
> > viruses
> > so we did the reinstall thing.
> >
> > When it gets to installing devices [34 minutes left] it hangs. If you
> > restart the computer it will restart the setup and then it will go
> > through.
> > It restarts after the initial install, but after that if we install SP2
> > and
> > reboot, the blue progress bar stops and starts forever [15-20 minutes] and
> > will not restart.
> >
> > Tried this twice and the next time instead of SP2, we installed the free
> > AVG
> > and rebooted and the same thing happened.
> >
> > We then tried Windows 2ooo Pro and after the install it booted fine, but
> > if
> > we install even AVG free edition, and reboot it hangs and will not
> > restart.
> >
> > Its a celeron 650 with 256 RAM.
> >
> > I know its a bit weak, but XP was on and working fine before.
> >
> > Any ideas

May 30, 2005 9:49:54 AM

Flaky Power Supply could be the cause. Since SP2 is installed check here
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm

"syserror" <syserror@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having serious trouble. I have a freinds computer and tried
> reinstalling
> XP Pro. He had it on and working but it was full of junk and a couple
> viruses
> so we did the reinstall thing.
>
> When it gets to installing devices [34 minutes left] it hangs. If you
> restart the computer it will restart the setup and then it will go
> through.
> It restarts after the initial install, but after that if we install SP2
> and
> reboot, the blue progress bar stops and starts forever [15-20 minutes] and
> will not restart.
>
> Tried this twice and the next time instead of SP2, we installed the free
> AVG
> and rebooted and the same thing happened.
>
> We then tried Windows 2ooo Pro and after the install it booted fine, but
> if
> we install even AVG free edition, and reboot it hangs and will not
> restart.
>
> Its a celeron 650 with 256 RAM.
>
> I know its a bit weak, but XP was on and working fine before.
>
> Any ideas

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:49:55 AM

This happens also before SP2 is installed. Just tried again and XP installs
fine then it says to complete installation of some devices requires a reboot,
do you want to reboot now? I click yes and then it wont load. The progress
bar just freezes halfway across and then continues a bit and stops again and
on and on and on.

I booted into safe mode and looked in event viewer, application. This is
what it says:

The COM+Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of
d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.

There is also:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error. Unexpected error calling routine
CoCreateInstance. hr=0x80040206

!