Is this a good laptop for gaming?

Hey everyone.

There's a laptop I'm looking at right now, and I was wondering if any of you have had experience using this laptop, or a laptop with at least the same CPU/APU and GPU.

My question is: will this laptop be able to play games like Battlefield 3, TESV: Skyrim, Crysis and Crysis 2, NFS: The Run, NFS: SHIFT 2 Unleashed, CoD (Black Ops, MW3,) Blacklight Retribution, etc. preferably at medium/mostly high settings??

I've heard that the AMD A10-4600M APU is a great processor for budget gaming, and I've also heard that the 7670M is a pretty good dedicated mobile GPU for gaming (and I assume that the 7660G + 7670M together would be better for sure) but I've never had a laptop with a great GPU or a great CPU, let alone a quad-core CPU and dual-CPU's.

LAPTOP SPECS:
Model: Samsung NP355V4-S01CA
Screen Size: 14"
Native Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768
Processor: AMD A10-4600M
Processor Cores: 4 Cores, 4 Threads
Processor Speed: 2.3GHz
Processor Cache: 4MB L2 Cache
HDD Capacity: 750GB
HDD Speed:5400RPM
RAM Size: 6GB
RAM Speed: 1600MHz
RAM Type: DDR3
Graphics Chipset: AMD Radeon HD 7660G + HD 7670M Dual Graphics
Video Memory: 1GB Dedicated
Video Type: Unknown (not sure if it's GDDR3 or GDDR5)
11 answers Last reply
More about good laptop gaming
  1. Yes it'll play those games on high. But how much does it cost?
  2. k1114 said:
    Yes it'll play those games on high. But how much does it cost?

I live in Canada, and right now I can get this laptop for $650 (not including tax.) The best thing that Intel/NVIDIA has to offer at that price point is an i3 or i5 equipped laptop with a 1GB GT-610 dedicated GPU, and even at that, I'd still be really lucky to find an i3/i5 + GT-610 equipped laptop at that price point.
  3. BF3 on High with that laptop? I find that hard to believe. NFS The Run uses the same engine as BF3 as well.
  4. vrumor said:
    BF3 on High with that laptop? I find that hard to believe. NFS The Run uses the same engine as BF3 as well.

I don't know... That's why I'm asking, because I don't know :P I don't think NFS: The Run would have too many problems running well, since it's not a very hard game to run (same with the rest of the racing games I want to play) but I'm wondering more about the other games I've listed, like Skyrim, Crysis 2, Blacklight Retribution, etc.

The A10-4600M is currently the best CPU/APU on the AMD side, and I just figured that with the two GPU's working together in Crossfire, there wouldn't be many problems running games on mostly high settings, but I've never own this laptop, nor have I ever owned a laptop that's similar, nor have I ever played games on this laptop or anything similar, so... I'm asking you guys for help with this one, because I don't know :P

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated :)
  5. tourist said:

Is a 3D Mark 11 performance score of almost 2k a good score for a $650 laptop do you guys think?
  6. I mean, this laptop does sound like a pretty good deal for $650. It packs a 2.3GHz (turbo up to 3.2GHz) quad-core CPU/APU with an amazing IGP + dedicated GPU together in Crossfire, it's got 6GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM which is very rare in sub-$700 laptops (at least, here in Canada,) a 750GB HDD (which is more than enough for me,) plus Bluetooth, HDMI, USB 3.0, webcam + microphone, and all that good stuff. I just wish more people could tell me specifically what their experiences were/are like using this laptop (or a laptop with the same specs) but I guess that's understandable, considering this laptop is only available in certain countries anyway (from what I've researched.) :P
  7. Those links are useless. Synthetics are misleading. The dual graphics drivers are horrid and will get worse performance in most games vs the 7670m alone. http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7660G-HD-7670M-Dual-Graphics.81173.0.html There aren't many benchmarks for dual. So here's just the 7670m. http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M.69483.0.html Here's hope that amd can pull it together for those drivers.
  8. Scroll down, there are actual games.
  9. It s true that Crossfire is not as impressive as it sounds, nevertheless this is a nice gaming laptop for its money.

Depending in the price you can find it in canada, this Dell http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15r-se-7520/pd.aspx is a potentially better offer, check it
  10. Best answer selected by firinmylazerman.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Gaming Processors Product