laptop screen flickers if moved

I am using XP home SP2 on Gateway Solo laptop. For quite a while now, when I
move the screen back & forth on the hinge, the screen will black out (no
backlight) & then come back. Seems like a physical connection problem but I
don't know what connection to look for.
Just replaced hard drive & reloaded, so unless XP home has an inherent
problem, cannot see this as a software issue.
Everything else works fine EXCEPT, screen will not turn off (power options)
after allotted time & if screen saver time delay (say 3 mins) is longer than
"turn off monitor" time (2 mins), screensaver will not come on at all.

I want it to go black when asked & stay on when working. Is that to much to
ask?
8 answers Last reply
More about laptop screen flickers moved

    Apparently, you have some sort of hardware issue.
    Contact Gateway support for assistance.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Slave to the cow" wrote:

    | I am using XP home SP2 on Gateway Solo laptop. For quite a while now, when I
    | move the screen back & forth on the hinge, the screen will black out (no
    | backlight) & then come back. Seems like a physical connection problem but I
    | don't know what connection to look for.
    | Just replaced hard drive & reloaded, so unless XP home has an inherent
    | problem, cannot see this as a software issue.
    | Everything else works fine EXCEPT, screen will not turn off (power options)
    | after allotted time & if screen saver time delay (say 3 mins) is longer than
    | "turn off monitor" time (2 mins), screensaver will not come on at all.
    |
    | I want it to go black when asked & stay on when working. Is that to much to
    | ask?

    Can't. Gateway said (while still under warranty) that they would require me
    to send laptop in for undetermined amount of time & they were not sure what
    it was of if they could fix it. I need computer for school, can't go more
    than a couple of days without & issues are not bad enough to warrant time &
    money.
    I just hoped somebody had a similar prob & new of a fix.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Apparently, you have some sort of hardware issue.
    > Contact Gateway support for assistance.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Slave to the cow" wrote:
    >
    > | I am using XP home SP2 on Gateway Solo laptop. For quite a while now, when I
    > | move the screen back & forth on the hinge, the screen will black out (no
    > | backlight) & then come back. Seems like a physical connection problem but I
    > | don't know what connection to look for.
    > | Just replaced hard drive & reloaded, so unless XP home has an inherent
    > | problem, cannot see this as a software issue.
    > | Everything else works fine EXCEPT, screen will not turn off (power options)
    > | after allotted time & if screen saver time delay (say 3 mins) is longer than
    > | "turn off monitor" time (2 mins), screensaver will not come on at all.
    > |
    > | I want it to go black when asked & stay on when working. Is that to much to
    > | ask?

    You likely have a defective video adapter only a qualified
    Gateway service technician can replace.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Slave to the cow" wrote:

    | Can't. Gateway said (while still under warranty) that they would require me
    | to send laptop in for undetermined amount of time & they were not sure what
    | it was of if they could fix it. I need computer for school, can't go more
    | than a couple of days without & issues are not bad enough to warrant time &
    | money.
    | I just hoped somebody had a similar prob & new of a fix.

    The symptom you describe when moving the screen on the hinge is usually
    caused by a problem with the video cable. This cable, which connects the
    motherboard video output to the LCD panel inverter input, flexes when
    opening and closing the panel and is a common laptop failure point. It is
    replaceable though a delicate job. It may last a long time as its or may
    fail completely at some point.
    --

    "Slave to the cow" <Slave to the cow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:4DF0504B-9FDA-4380-8C36-B3F7E47C1681@microsoft.com...
    >I am using XP home SP2 on Gateway Solo laptop. For quite a while now, when
    > move the screen back & forth on the hinge, the screen will black out (no
    > backlight) & then come back. Seems like a physical connection problem but
    > don't know what connection to look for.
    > Just replaced hard drive & reloaded, so unless XP home has an inherent
    > problem, cannot see this as a software issue.
    > Everything else works fine EXCEPT, screen will not turn off (power
    > options)
    > after allotted time & if screen saver time delay (say 3 mins) is longer
    > than
    > "turn off monitor" time (2 mins), screensaver will not come on at all.
    >
    > I want it to go black when asked & stay on when working. Is that to much
    > ask?

    Thanks for the response. It has lasted for about 2 years. It is just a minor
    issue that I thought I would throw out & see if anyone had a clue.

    The other issue (the screen never turns off as requested) is actually the
    one that is really annoying me lately. Any ideas?

    "GTS" wrote:

    > The symptom you describe when moving the screen on the hinge is usually
    > caused by a problem with the video cable. This cable, which connects the
    > motherboard video output to the LCD panel inverter input, flexes when
    > opening and closing the panel and is a common laptop failure point. It is
    > replaceable though a delicate job. It may last a long time as its or may
    > fail completely at some point.
    > --
    >
    > "Slave to the cow" <Slave to the cow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:4DF0504B-9FDA-4380-8C36-B3F7E47C1681@microsoft.com...
    > >I am using XP home SP2 on Gateway Solo laptop. For quite a while now, when
    > > move the screen back & forth on the hinge, the screen will black out (no
    > > backlight) & then come back. Seems like a physical connection problem but
    > > don't know what connection to look for.
    > > Just replaced hard drive & reloaded, so unless XP home has an inherent
    > > problem, cannot see this as a software issue.
    > > Everything else works fine EXCEPT, screen will not turn off (power
    > > options)
    > > after allotted time & if screen saver time delay (say 3 mins) is longer
    > > than
    > > "turn off monitor" time (2 mins), screensaver will not come on at all.
    > >
    > > I want it to go black when asked & stay on when working. Is that to much
    > > ask?

    When you reinstalled XP, did you use a Gateway recovery media or a standard
    XP installation media? Have you checked Gateway for driver updates and any
    possible troubleshooting advice?
    --

    "Slave to the cow" <Slavetothecow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:6E883FD4-7A05-4EF5-826B-7D2D8F188D43@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for the response. It has lasted for about 2 years. It is just a
    > minor
    > issue that I thought I would throw out & see if anyone had a clue.
    >
    > The other issue (the screen never turns off as requested) is actually the
    > one that is really annoying me lately. Any ideas?
    >
    > "GTS" wrote:
    >
    >> The symptom you describe when moving the screen on the hinge is usually
    >> caused by a problem with the video cable. This cable, which connects
    >> the

    I used the orig Gateway recovery disks that came with the computer, and then
    installed updates from Microsoft that corresponded with my system, ie: SP1
    SP2 Security Updates, etc. I have found something on Gateway that is in
    response to a flickering screen but that requires a usable floppy disk drive.
    Mine has a metal slide piece from an old floppy stuck in it. Haven't tried
    downloading to a CD yet cause it may not work & my computer is running fine.

    But Gateway has not reported anything so far as I can see about the screen
    not shutting down using the power options timer, so I fear that even if I did
    get the update to work with a CD, it probably will not help the power options
    prob.

    "GTS" wrote:

    > When you reinstalled XP, did you use a Gateway recovery media or a standard
    > XP installation media? Have you checked Gateway for driver updates and any
    > possible troubleshooting advice?
    > --
    >
    > "Slave to the cow" <Slavetothecow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:6E883FD4-7A05-4EF5-826B-7D2D8F188D43@microsoft.com...
    > > Thanks for the response. It has lasted for about 2 years. It is just a
    > > minor
    > > issue that I thought I would throw out & see if anyone had a clue.
    > >
    > > The other issue (the screen never turns off as requested) is actually the
    > > one that is really annoying me lately. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > "GTS" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The symptom you describe when moving the screen on the hinge is usually
    > >> caused by a problem with the video cable. This cable, which connects
    > >> the

    I don't have any other specific ideas. FWIW Here's are a few general
    points re. power management troubleshooting. None seem particularly likely
    in your case but are worth checking..

    Is the Task Scheduler service running?
    Check BIOS settings.
    Use msconfig to disable start up items and reboot to help eliminate possible
    software conflicts.

    Also, if you are using any unusual screen saver, remove it. (There are some
    known issues with some 3rd party savers using DirectX, for example).

    It doesn't seem likely, but if all else fails, I wouldn't completely rule
    out that the problem video cable as an issue involving a signal line in the
    circuit. Unfortunately, there's no way to test it short of replacement.
    --

    "Slave to the cow" <Slavetothecow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:6676FF26-4CFF-46AD-89D7-2621E5D71D54@microsoft.com...
    >I used the orig Gateway recovery disks that came with the computer, and
    >then
    > installed updates from Microsoft that corresponded with my system, ie: SP1
    > SP2 Security Updates, etc. I have found something on Gateway that is in
    > response to a flickering screen but that requires a usable floppy disk
    > drive.
    > Mine has a metal slide piece from an old floppy stuck in it. Haven't tried
    > downloading to a CD yet cause it may not work & my computer is running
    > fine.
    >
    > But Gateway has not reported anything so far as I can see about the screen
    > not shutting down using the power options timer, so I fear that even if I
    > did
    > get the update to work with a CD, it probably will not help the power
    > options
    > prob.
    >
    > "GTS" wrote:
    >
    >> When you reinstalled XP, did you use a Gateway recovery media or a
    >> standard
    >> XP installation media? Have you checked Gateway for driver updates and
    >> any
    >> possible troubleshooting advice?
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Slave to the cow" <Slavetothecow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:6E883FD4-7A05-4EF5-826B-7D2D8F188D43@microsoft.com...
    >> > Thanks for the response. It has lasted for about 2 years. It is just a
    >> > minor
    >> > issue that I thought I would throw out & see if anyone had a clue.
    >> >
    >> > The other issue (the screen never turns off as requested) is actually
    >> > the
    >> > one that is really annoying me lately. Any ideas?

Laptop Screen Windows XP