Ambicom/Prism2 wireless lan wl1100-PC/PCI code 10 solution.

pc

If you have a Prism2 based wireless lan card (mine is the Ambicom
wl1100) the following information may be of use to you.

When I purchased my wl1100 (during 2002 i think) , i was running
Windows 98 on my Star Iridium Celeron 450 notebook, and never had any
problems whatsoever. I then upgraded to a Compaq with 2000 AMD
processor, and again the wl1100 worked fine under XP. Recently i
purchased a Compaq NX9010 and was very surprised to discover that the
wl1100 refused to work under XP, i was getting error code 10, the
device is unable to start.

I messed around with the ambicom driver for a while, with no success.

I then booted the machine with Knoppix ( A Debian GNU Linux CD based
system) which is wonderful at detecting hardware. Within 3 or 4
minutes the machine had booted, all hardware had been detected, and i
was able to browse the internet and local netowork using the wl1100.

Now i was satisfied that the wl1100 was capable of working in the
notebook, i started searching for an updated driver, none could be
found.

I wont bore you with the details, but for the next 6 or 7 hours i
tried different drivers for Prism2 based cards, all with no success.

Eventually i downloaded the driver for the Dlink DWL-650 card from
http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=9&pv=1 the driver you
want is version 1737F for WinXP, WinME, Win2K, Win98 and dated
(american format) 7/16/2002, if you have trouble downloading this
file, email me and ill tell you where else the file can be downloaded
from.

I ran the setup program for this card, and was very surprised to
discover that the wl1100 now works.

If you have a similar setup, i hope this information proves useful to
you, and if you get your Prism2 based card working using this driver,
why not post some hardware details here, help out another XP user.

Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

"PC" <paul@collishaws.com> wrote in message
> If you have a Prism2 based wireless lan card (mine is the Ambicom
> wl1100) the following information may be of use to you.
>
> When I purchased my wl1100 (during 2002 i think) , i was running
> Windows 98 on my Star Iridium Celeron 450 notebook, and never had any
> problems whatsoever. I then upgraded to a Compaq with 2000 AMD
> processor, and again the wl1100 worked fine under XP. Recently i
> purchased a Compaq NX9010 and was very surprised to discover that the
> wl1100 refused to work under XP, i was getting error code 10, the
> device is unable to start.
>
> I messed around with the ambicom driver for a while, with no success.
>
> I then booted the machine with Knoppix ( A Debian GNU Linux CD based
> system) which is wonderful at detecting hardware. Within 3 or 4
> minutes the machine had booted, all hardware had been detected, and i
> was able to browse the internet and local netowork using the wl1100.
>
> Now i was satisfied that the wl1100 was capable of working in the
> notebook, i started searching for an updated driver, none could be
> found.
>
> I wont bore you with the details, but for the next 6 or 7 hours i
> tried different drivers for Prism2 based cards, all with no success.
>
> Eventually i downloaded the driver for the Dlink DWL-650 card from
> http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=9&pv=1 the driver you
> want is version 1737F for WinXP, WinME, Win2K, Win98 and dated
> (american format) 7/16/2002, if you have trouble downloading this
> file, email me and ill tell you where else the file can be downloaded
> from.
>
> I ran the setup program for this card, and was very surprised to
> discover that the wl1100 now works.
>
> If you have a similar setup, i hope this information proves useful to
> you, and if you get your Prism2 based card working using this driver,
> why not post some hardware details here, help out another XP user.

CHECK YOUR FIRMWARE TOOOOOO