W2k remote pcs cant run Office

messica

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Our remote pcs running w2k and using Office 2000 started having major issues with Office, Dialup Networking and other odd programs. Virus definitions and engine are up to date using Mcafee. PROBLEMS:
Excel errors "cannot open links and embedded objects.."
Word, Powerpoint and Access errors when attempting to open files. If you click ok on any of the errors, excel or whoever generated errors and will be closed.

Constant "svchost.exe" errors on other machines, dialup networking accounts disappearing or on some they connect but when try to disconnect from internet the system freezes.
Event Viewer freezes when you attempt to close on those systems.

Other misc.
Office assistant error, run w2k setup and repair...that basically is a redundant error message, in which the fix does not work.
"Easy Access is missing a component"

These machines that are affected are all across the country and use dialup and then authenticate through vpn to our network. No machines that are directly on the network seem to be affected at this point.

Can't find any solid leads on these problems. They all starting happening today in the last two hours before I left work, last count of affected machines was 15 with another 100+ to go(of remote sites, not counting the network machines at this point).

messica

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
standalone pc's and laptops, but nothing on network is affected

Some systems were msblaster was found but on most not,
the lastest Microsoft patch so far seems to fix the corrupt office but we have only tested one machine so far.

Eradz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
This problem just start to happen recently I take it? you have blaster worm infection. I HAD the same problem on my clients machines. Here take a look at this. First i had to get it off my machines then patch it. Im not an html person so i doubt that its clickable LOL but anyways

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/virus/alerts/msblaster.asp" target="_new">http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/virus/alerts/msblaster.asp</A>

take a look at that. I had to reinstall office package on some of the machines. I was getting the Svchost.exe and the excel problems. This site will givce you more info and you can get the patch. Also i had 3 machines do a reboot loop which never ends. I had to install 2k on a different dir like \winnt2 so all the info isnt lost. Good Luck and hope this helps!