Windows XP Home Edition - Freeze problem

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop.
Recently have started experiencing a strange problem where the system refuses
to respond. The following things continue to work:
>> Ctrl+Alt+Del gets me the task manager, but I can't change tabs or anything
>> Mouse movements continue
>> I can see the Avast antivirus icon rotating away on the task bar
Sometimes if I leave it alone, the system returns to normal. More often, the
system stays like this for a long time, I lose patience and hard boot -
obviously this is not a long term solution to the problem! Also, sometimes
when I am pressing down on the power off button, the system logs me off as
though it were a normal shutdown.

This problem is beyond my limited diagnostic skills ... any help would be
much appreciated!!
3 answers Last reply
More about windows home edition freeze problem

    You might try msconfig.exe and disable all start-up items, check if problems
    reoccur. If not its a Q of elimination.

    "Anushri" <Anushri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop.
    > Recently have started experiencing a strange problem where the system
    refuses
    > to respond. The following things continue to work:
    > >> Ctrl+Alt+Del gets me the task manager, but I can't change tabs or
    anything
    > >> Mouse movements continue
    > >> I can see the Avast antivirus icon rotating away on the task bar
    > Sometimes if I leave it alone, the system returns to normal. More often,
    the
    > system stays like this for a long time, I lose patience and hard boot -
    > obviously this is not a long term solution to the problem! Also, sometimes
    > when I am pressing down on the power off button, the system logs me off as
    > though it were a normal shutdown.
    >
    > This problem is beyond my limited diagnostic skills ... any help would be
    > much appreciated!!

    Thanks, I will try out msconfig. Hope it works, but nothing has changed in
    the startup params (including the list of startup programs etc.) in the past
    few weeks - the problem has only started surfacing recently.

    "DL" wrote:

    > You might try msconfig.exe and disable all start-up items, check if problems
    > reoccur. If not its a Q of elimination.

    You could also run in safe mode, for a while, if problem doesnt occur its
    likely down to a driver.
    Updated any recently?

    > Thanks, I will try out msconfig. Hope it works, but nothing has changed in
    > the startup params (including the list of startup programs etc.) in the
    past
    > few weeks - the problem has only started surfacing recently.
    >
    > "DL" wrote:
    >
    > > You might try msconfig.exe and disable all start-up items, check if
    problems
    > > reoccur. If not its a Q of elimination.

Windows XP