Windows XP Home Edition - Freeze problem

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop.
Recently have started experiencing a strange problem where the system refuses
to respond. The following things continue to work:
>> Ctrl+Alt+Del gets me the task manager, but I can't change tabs or anything
>> Mouse movements continue
>> I can see the Avast antivirus icon rotating away on the task bar
Sometimes if I leave it alone, the system returns to normal. More often, the
system stays like this for a long time, I lose patience and hard boot -
obviously this is not a long term solution to the problem! Also, sometimes
when I am pressing down on the power off button, the system logs me off as
though it were a normal shutdown.

This problem is beyond my limited diagnostic skills ... any help would be
much appreciated!!

dl

You might try msconfig.exe and disable all start-up items, check if problems
reoccur. If not its a Q of elimination.

"Anushri" <Anushri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop.
> Recently have started experiencing a strange problem where the system
refuses
> to respond. The following things continue to work:
> >> Ctrl+Alt+Del gets me the task manager, but I can't change tabs or
anything
> >> Mouse movements continue
> >> I can see the Avast antivirus icon rotating away on the task bar
> Sometimes if I leave it alone, the system returns to normal. More often,
the
> system stays like this for a long time, I lose patience and hard boot -
> obviously this is not a long term solution to the problem! Also, sometimes
> when I am pressing down on the power off button, the system logs me off as
> though it were a normal shutdown.
>
> This problem is beyond my limited diagnostic skills ... any help would be
> much appreciated!!

Thanks, I will try out msconfig. Hope it works, but nothing has changed in
the startup params (including the list of startup programs etc.) in the past
few weeks - the problem has only started surfacing recently.

"DL" wrote:

> You might try msconfig.exe and disable all start-up items, check if problems
> reoccur. If not its a Q of elimination.

dl

You could also run in safe mode, for a while, if problem doesnt occur its
likely down to a driver.
Updated any recently?