Tech: Eprom 27c010-150v10

Hi

I have an Snow Bros PCB that dont work, the eproms nr: 3-a and 2-a is broken
( i think). I read the roms in my progammer and verifyed them on coinups
site and there where no problem. But the game dont work. I put the roms on a
working board but they dont wont to work.

Now, where can i find this eproms: 27c010-150v10 ? I can find 27c010 but can
i use this??

Thanks/
Hans

The 27c010 you have "should" work since it's the correct chip.

What you need to look at is the code after the "-"
the 150v10 part

The 150 means 150 nanosecond access time.
This is the time it takes the chip to transfer data (called delay).
The faster, the better (ie the lower the number, the better).
A 120 nsec chip can replace a 150nsec,
but not the other way around.

[NB. This isn't a hardened rule, if the CPU is slow,
the Erpom won't be bottleneck so a slower access time
might not cause a problem. I've sometimes used a "slower"
Eprom without problems, but you have to be sure of what
you are doing ]

All chips should have a similar code format,
that being "chip type" - "access time".

27c010-120 would be 120 nanoseconds

Some companies only use two digits, like 27c010-12
(...which is the same as 27c010-120 )

[Note : When access times on newer/faster chips dropped
to under 100 nanosec, everyone used two digits, which made
it confusing since -12 really means 120, but -90 means 90.

Recap:
150 or 15 = 150
120 or 12 = 120
100 or 10 = 100
090 or 90 = 90
etc...

So as long as your replacement has an access time equal or faster,
you should be OK.

As for your original problem,
I'm not sure how your chips can be bad if the checksum is good.
(...unless these are already replacement Eproms which are too slow...)

E-mail me if you have any questions.
(...or if you need Eproms ! )

Cheers,
Steph
www.HobbyRoms.com

====

Hans Johansson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an Snow Bros PCB that dont work, the eproms nr: 3-a and 2-a is broken
> ( i think). I read the roms in my progammer and verifyed them on coinups
> site and there where no problem. But the game dont work. I put the roms on a
> working board but they dont wont to work.
>
> Now, where can i find this eproms: 27c010-150v10 ? I can find 27c010 but can
> i use this??
>

> Thanks/
> Hans

Thanks for the info Steph :)

I took a closer look on my two boards and on the board that works, there is
eproms markt: 27c010-150v10 and on the board that dont work 27c010-155dc
The bad roms dont work on ethier board. The roms look like original, with
Toaplan stickers.

/Hans

Thanks