Inspiron 8200 Noisy Fan

Last week I wrote thinking that my hard drive was hurting.
Have now concluded that it is the Fan.

I know that fans make some noise, but, trust me, this is not
its 'normal' noise level. (for the lad thinking about
getting the Insp.6000 - until very recently the noise level
of my fan was totally acceptable)

Have been communicating via email with Dell Support and
since I have extended warranty, they are offering to pick up
machine and check-out/replace the fan.

Before I do that, though, I would like to run diagnostics.
ALthough the email agent gave me 'instructions', can't get
them to run.

I do not appear to have a separate diagnostic cd; all I have
is the one for reinstalling system software. (which
purportedly includes diagnostics and utilities).

Anyone know where I can find them/how I can run them?

Thanks
--

Rex's Mom
5 answers Last reply

    "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Last week I wrote thinking that my hard drive was hurting. Have now
    > concluded that it is the Fan.
    >
    > I know that fans make some noise, but, trust me, this is not its 'normal'
    > noise level. (for the lad thinking about getting the Insp.6000 - until
    > very recently the noise level of my fan was totally acceptable)
    >
    > Have been communicating via email with Dell Support and since I have
    > extended warranty, they are offering to pick up machine and
    > check-out/replace the fan.
    >
    > Before I do that, though, I would like to run diagnostics. ALthough the
    > email agent gave me 'instructions', can't get them to run.
    >
    > I do not appear to have a separate diagnostic cd; all I have is the one
    > for reinstalling system software. (which purportedly includes diagnostics
    > and utilities).
    >
    > Anyone know where I can find them/how I can run them?
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    >
    > Rex's Mom

    Boot the REsource CD

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Last week I wrote thinking that my hard drive was hurting. Have now
    >>concluded that it is the Fan.
    >>
    >>I know that fans make some noise, but, trust me, this is not its 'normal'
    >>noise level. (for the lad thinking about getting the Insp.6000 - until
    >>very recently the noise level of my fan was totally acceptable)
    >>
    >>Have been communicating via email with Dell Support and since I have
    >>extended warranty, they are offering to pick up machine and
    >>check-out/replace the fan.
    >>
    >>Before I do that, though, I would like to run diagnostics. ALthough the
    >>email agent gave me 'instructions', can't get them to run.
    >>
    >>I do not appear to have a separate diagnostic cd; all I have is the one
    >>for reinstalling system software. (which purportedly includes diagnostics
    >>and utilities).
    >>
    >>Anyone know where I can find them/how I can run them?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>--
    >>
    >>Rex's Mom
    >>

    > Boot the REsource CD

    I do not appear to have a Resource CD. The closest I have
    is: 'Drivers, Utilities, and Applications' (for reinstalling
    Dell System Software). I did try re-booting with the CD in
    place and it went through its 'normal' boot.

    Isn't there a way to start the machine, hit one of the
    Function keys and get to diagnostics. I vaguely recalling
    doing this with a Dell tech on the line. Cannot remember
    how, cannot find any notes I may have made AND cannot find
    it in any of the Dell Support places I have already looked.

    Please, please I need an answer - the noise is unacceptable
    and I have extensive needs to do things on my computer.

    --

    Rex's Mom

    Rex's Mom wrote:

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    >> "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Last week I wrote thinking that my hard drive was hurting. Have now
    >>> concluded that it is the Fan.
    >>>
    >>> I know that fans make some noise, but, trust me, this is not its
    >>> 'normal' noise level. (for the lad thinking about getting the
    >>> Insp.6000 - until very recently the noise level of my fan was
    >>> totally acceptable)
    >>>
    >>> Have been communicating via email with Dell Support and since I have
    >>> extended warranty, they are offering to pick up machine and
    >>> check-out/replace the fan.
    >>>
    >>> Before I do that, though, I would like to run diagnostics. ALthough
    >>> the email agent gave me 'instructions', can't get them to run.
    >>>
    >>> I do not appear to have a separate diagnostic cd; all I have is the
    >>> one for reinstalling system software. (which purportedly includes
    >>> diagnostics and utilities).
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know where I can find them/how I can run them?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Rex's Mom
    >>>

    >> Boot the REsource CD
    >>
    > I do not appear to have a Resource CD. The closest I have is:
    > 'Drivers, Utilities, and Applications' (for reinstalling Dell System
    > Software). I did try re-booting with the CD in place and it went
    > through its 'normal' boot.
    >
    > Isn't there a way to start the machine, hit one of the Function keys
    > and get to diagnostics. I vaguely recalling doing this with a Dell
    > tech on the line. Cannot remember how, cannot find any notes I may
    > have made AND cannot find it in any of the Dell Support places I have
    > already looked.
    >

    > Please, please I need an answer - the noise is unacceptable and I have
    > extensive needs to do things on my computer.

    You should have received a diagnostic CD and you should have diagnostics
    on your hard drive unless you removed them or changed out the drive,
    however, here are the diagnostics for the Inspiron 8200:
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_8200&category=13&os=WW1&osl=EN

    Rex's Mom wrote:

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    >> "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Last week I wrote thinking that my hard drive was hurting. Have now
    >>> concluded that it is the Fan.
    >>>
    >>> I know that fans make some noise, but, trust me, this is not its
    >>> 'normal' noise level. (for the lad thinking about getting the
    >>> Insp.6000 - until very recently the noise level of my fan was totally
    >>> acceptable)
    >>>
    >>> Have been communicating via email with Dell Support and since I have
    >>> extended warranty, they are offering to pick up machine and
    >>> check-out/replace the fan.
    >>>
    >>> Before I do that, though, I would like to run diagnostics. ALthough
    >>> the email agent gave me 'instructions', can't get them to run.
    >>>
    >>> I do not appear to have a separate diagnostic cd; all I have is the
    >>> one for reinstalling system software. (which purportedly includes
    >>> diagnostics and utilities).
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know where I can find them/how I can run them?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Rex's Mom
    >>>

    >> Boot the REsource CD
    >>
    > I do not appear to have a Resource CD. The closest I have is: 'Drivers,
    > Utilities, and Applications' (for reinstalling Dell System Software). I
    > did try re-booting with the CD in place and it went through its 'normal'
    > boot.
    >
    > Isn't there a way to start the machine, hit one of the Function keys and
    > get to diagnostics. I vaguely recalling doing this with a Dell tech on
    > the line. Cannot remember how, cannot find any notes I may have made AND
    > cannot find it in any of the Dell Support places I have already looked.
    >

    > Please, please I need an answer - the noise is unacceptable and I have
    > extensive needs to do things on my computer.

    Finally got a human being at Dell and go thte answer (turns
    out the CD I have does the trick.)

    Thanks anyway.

    --

    Rex's Mom

    Jerry Park wrote:

    > Rex's Mom wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Scales wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message

    >>> Boot the REsource CD
    >>>
    >> I do not appear to have a Resource CD. The closest I have is:
    >> 'Drivers, Utilities, and Applications' (for reinstalling Dell System
    >> Software). I did try re-booting with the CD in place and it went
    >> through its 'normal' boot.
    >>
    >> Isn't there a way to start the machine, hit one of the Function keys
    >> and get to diagnostics. I vaguely recalling doing this with a Dell
    >> tech on the line. Cannot remember how, cannot find any notes I may
    >> have made AND cannot find it in any of the Dell Support places I have
    >> already looked.
    >>

    >> Please, please I need an answer - the noise is unacceptable and I have
    >> extensive needs to do things on my computer.
    >>
    > You should have received a diagnostic CD and you should have diagnostics
    > on your hard drive unless you removed them or changed out the drive,
    > however, here are the diagnostics for the Inspiron 8200:
    > http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_8200&category=13&os=WW1&osl=EN

    Thanks for that.

    You raised a point which raises another question:
    Yes, my hard drive was changed, but I used a service to
    transfer the data and they assured me that everything was
    transferred.

    Furthermore, I was (see the thread 'Ignore....) able to run
    the diagnostics from my CD (naming problem...everyone was
    referring to that cd by a different name, but, it worked in
    the end).

    So...the question...do you think I have 'lost' my diagnostics?

    Thanks

    --

    Rex's Mom

Dell Fan Inspiron Computers