is this a valid file?

in the i386 folder my friend has a file called dialler.exe.

At first I thought this was the dyfuca dialler program but antivirus
programs failed to find anything. So I'm wondering now if it is actually a
part of Windows OS?

Perhaps part of the software for the modem?

It's legit. There is a phone dialer that comes with XP.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"perthy" <perthy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> in the i386 folder my friend has a file called dialler.exe.
>
> At first I thought this was the dyfuca dialler program but antivirus
> programs failed to find anything. So I'm wondering now if it is actually a
> part of Windows OS?
>
> Perhaps part of the software for the modem?

David

If the spelling is with two L's then try this link

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/dialler.asp

David

"perthy" <perthy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> in the i386 folder my friend has a file called dialler.exe.
>
> At first I thought this was the dyfuca dialler program but antivirus
> programs failed to find anything. So I'm wondering now if it is actually a
> part of Windows OS?
>
> Perhaps part of the software for the modem?

Oh! I missed the second L in dialler.exe. I am glad you caught that. (-:

BTW, that is exactly how malware gets to stay on a system and is over
looked. Someone who is familiar with the computer "thinks" it is a valid
program because he knows what he is supposed to see. The mind often does not
notice the small difference. Dialer.exe is - dialler.exe is not!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"David" <davidedge1@nospamthankshotmail.com> wrote in message
> If the spelling is with two L's then try this link
>
> http://www.auditmypc.com/process/dialler.asp
>
> David
>
> "perthy" <perthy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> in the i386 folder my friend has a file called dialler.exe.
>>
>> At first I thought this was the dyfuca dialler program but antivirus
>> programs failed to find anything. So I'm wondering now if it is actually
>> part of Windows OS?
>>
>> Perhaps part of the software for the modem?

I discovered a similar example recently in my Processes list:
svchost.exe = legit,
scvhost.exe = malware
and another resource to help identify such things is at
www.processlibrary.com

~Ron