Can't find op system or HD...

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On startup computer says it can't find an operating system and when I use
product recovery disks that came with it they say they can't find the hard
drive. This only started happening today and most times when I switched it
on, but twice worked perfectly so is it the HD itself or something else?
Afraid to switch it off. Should I backup as much as poss and get new
computer? It's a 2yr old Sony notebook with Windows Home ed SP2. Would
really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Richard

dl

Sounds like your hd is going south
'Should I backup' you should backup anyway, if a problem occurs its probably
too late
If you are able to bootup, and know the make of your hd, you can get a hd
checking utility from the hd manu.web site
But methinks you know little about PC's, so perhaps better to take it to a
repair shop.
As for new pc, depends whether you've got money to burn, a new hd is approx
£50.
Not sure as to whether Sony recovery cd will function if you install new hd
though, ask Sony, perhaps their support has improved!