Running Programs are not shown as buttons in the task bar

One day after I turned on the machine, I noticed that the task bar only shows
quick launch buttons and the language bar, but none of my running programs
are shown.

In other words, when I minimize a window, the taskbar doesn't show anything.
The only way for me to change from program to program is to use contral + tab.

I tried restarting the computer several times and restoring it to the last
known good configuration all to no avail.

Programs Aren't Minimized in the Taskbar (Line 240)