U.S. ranked lowest of newborn survival.

Münchausen syndrome by proxy is probably very common in the US.

Women wanting more attention after the father starts doting on the child.

Alternatively all of the radiation fallout from the nuclear testing ... or genetic damage to the second and third generation of children born post Agent Orange Vietnam Vets ... or possibly god is smiting all of the democrats for following Darwin's theory of evolution.

Take your pick of the least insulting of the above.

I can troll up more on demand ... with little or no recourse to the interwibble.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Because people don't use drugs in other countries...

@ reynod "Probably a reflection of the poor underpinning healthcare system in the US" - And your rational/comparision for this statement??

Not Knocking England, spent 3 years there and have relatives living there. For the average Joe Blow (Or his wife Jane), I'll take the US system over the English system!!!!

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

but people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" are more enlightened than the rest of us, right?

@ branden
And just how does spelling ability relate to IQ, or how “enlightened” one is?
My spelling is atrocious, probably one of the worst on this forum. Sometimes my dag burn fingers get too far behind my mind and type what I’m thinking and not the word my fingers are at (LOL). My other problem is, IT does not bother me, nor has it impeded my career.
.. Youngest E9 (USAF CMSgt) in my career field.
.. Was in charge of the Electronics Department and Assistant Dean at a community college.
.. Highly respected Electronic Technician
.. Currently the Test Engineer / Test Conductor for a 20 Million Dollar Satellite Instrument.
.. Could go on.

Do I believe “If you believe that article, your a complete idiot.” – No.
Their brain is just wired different than those of us that question the validity. The difference between politically left vs right, and social upbringing
I do feel that the article should be questioned – Yes. The motives of the author need to be looked at; the data needs to be looked at. Too often there are ulterior motives and flawed data is used.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
retiredchief, i fully realize IQ isn't necessarily proportional to spelling.

i'm just saying, here's an article from a reputable media source (that employs professional journalists and fact-checkers) with stats from the WHO to back up the interpretations made in the article. if geekapproved wants to convince us the article is bunk without providing sources of his own then spelling mistakes sure aren't going to help his cause.

I'm from Australia.

I won't get into a p!ssing competition as I am too tired to brag.

:)

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Anyway, it's stupid to ignore the big elephant in the room: as Reynod pointed out it's mostly the lack of affordable healthcare for large segments of American society that makes the US come out so bad. There's really no point in denying it.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

I agree that there is a lack of affordable health care but when it comes to births I think there are other factors as to why Americans have such a low newborn survival rate. Does Singapore have a better healthcare system and that's why they have the lowest mortality rate (Seriously I have no idea). In America you can plan your birth, take drugs to induce your birth, take more drugs to dull the pain, and lay on your back feet up. Throughout all of history childbirth has been done by a midwife.

**My Girlfriend is a human development major so I have to listen to craziness like this, also he3r clock is ticking......

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Yes, Singapore has a better healthcare system. It's true Americans take more drugs (both medicinal and the other kind), so that will factor into it somewhat. However, the healthcare thing is too big to ignore: it's not just the quality of care at the moment of the actual birth, high medical costs also scare pregnant women away from prenatal care for instance.

That last post about sums it up. Healthcare in the US is a great big money-grubbing racket, BUT when people around the world need urgent medical care, they come here. Of course, for them the costs may not be relevant, whereas they are for the large number of uninsured Americans. And before Gulli gets cranked up, that does NOT make insurance, or the care it funds, a "right." NOTHING is a right that is achieved or maintained at the forced expense of others; if those others weren't there, what happens to your "right?" The issue here is the game-playing and dishonesty surrounding the health care business. Too many lawyers, administrators, bureaucrats, and others with NOTHING TO DO WITH PATIENT CARE see the money flow and then find ways to leech onto it.

Misleading statistics.

This article tears CNN blog to shreds: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-doctor-is-in-infant-mortality-comparisons-a-statistical-miscarriage/?singlepage=true
the link that mrface posted.
Some highlights for the article:
-42 of the world's 52 surviving babies born at weights under 400g were born in America
-Some of the countries reporting do not count babies that die within the first 24 hours as live births, they count them as either "stillborn" or "miscarriage" and therefore do not affect mortality rates. In America, if you have a heartbeat when you are born then you are considered alive. (40% of all infant deaths occur within 24 hours. Gee, think that skews the stats a little?)
-In Switzerland, a baby under 30cm at birth is not considered a live birth.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

It's 12 million and is comparable to the rate in Western Europe (Spain even had a higher rate than the US, before they gave many of them an amnesty a couple of years ago). Medicaid does nothing for those just above the eligibility standard (millions of people, women of fertile age are overrepresented in this category). Also (you provided an example yourself, concerning your nephew) it doesn't even cover a C-section (your nephew still had to pay $500, which isn't exactly pocket change to young parents), so it's still scares away people.