MBR Error 3

When i start my Dell (XPPro/SP2) i got a massage "MBR Error 3" for a short
time, after that the system starts normal. My research how to fix this error
wasnt real helpfull.

Please i need to now in what way i can fix it.
(not sure if i can fix it with writing new mbr from recovery console)

Thanks :)
4 answers Last reply
More about error

    MBR most likely refers to the "Master Boot Record". There is a utility available in the Recovery Console mode to repair that.

    Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : FIXBOOT /MBR

    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314058

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Powerrun" <Powerrun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:046BD431-9934-4371-AF9A-27EFE4301519@microsoft.com...
    > When i start my Dell (XPPro/SP2) i got a massage "MBR Error 3" for a short
    > time, after that the system starts normal. My research how to fix this error
    > wasnt real helpfull.
    >
    > Please i need to now in what way i can fix it.
    > (not sure if i can fix it with writing new mbr from recovery console)
    >
    > Thanks :)

    Thank you for the help :)

    as i did the FIXBOOT /MBR command i got an massage that there is no
    System Partition or cant be found.

    Little shocked i tryed FIXBOOT c: and voila, a new System Partition was
    written into the MBR. :)

    u guys are doing a good job

    bye
    Oliver B.
    (Germany)

    ARG!

    After a few days i get the same massage at startup!

    MBR ERROR 3

    Any ideas what to do to fix that, or why i get this massage again??

    I can give more infos about my system if needed. Pls help. thanks

    "Powerrun" wrote:

    > Thank you for the help :)
    >
    > as i did the FIXBOOT /MBR command i got an massage that there is no
    > System Partition or cant be found.
    >
    > Little shocked i tryed FIXBOOT c: and voila, a new System Partition was
    > written into the MBR. :)
    >
    > u guys are doing a good job
    >
    > bye
    > Oliver B.
    > (Germany)

    What type of Dell System & HDD (Hard Disk Drive) r u using?

    --
    monganon
    monganon's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13752

Microsoft Recovery Console Windows XP