Falcon Pac-Man boards - display inversion?

With the Falcon Pac-Man boards, and with the board set to upright
mode, is there any way that the screen can be 'flipped' for those
monitors where the display would otherwise be inverted?

Thanks

max-man <max-man@hotmail.com> wrote:
: With the Falcon Pac-Man boards, and with the board set to upright
: mode, is there any way that the screen can be 'flipped' for those
: monitors where the display would otherwise be inverted?

It's pretty easy to do this in either software or hardware, but it's not a
'user' hack.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

On 26 Jun 2005 15:48:44 GMT, "Mark C. Spaeth"
<mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote:

>max-man <max-man@hotmail.com> wrote:
>: With the Falcon Pac-Man boards, and with the board set to upright
>: mode, is there any way that the screen can be 'flipped' for those
>: monitors where the display would otherwise be inverted?
>
>It's pretty easy to do this in either software or hardware, but it's not a
>'user' hack.

Are the required mods (hardware or software) documented anywhere?

Somewhat on topic- (but plugging my own board at the same time) our 96
in 1 Multi-Pac supports the Falcon PCB's and handles the screen flip
via the onscreen configuration menus so there isn't any issue with the
harness or hardware.

Besides Pac displaying correctly, so will all the other games on the
kit :)

Mike Doyle

:
:>max-man <max-man@hotmail.com> wrote:
:>: With the Falcon Pac-Man boards, and with the board set to upright
:>: mode, is there any way that the screen can be 'flipped' for those
:>: monitors where the display would otherwise be inverted?
:>
:>It's pretty easy to do this in either software or hardware, but it's not a
:>'user' hack.
:
: Are the required mods (hardware or software) documented anywhere?

probably not :)

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

If you're talking about the FLIP signal I think it just does the
background tiles. I don't think it does anything for the sprites. I
know if you write to the flip during a game the maze inverts but the
sprites stay the same and the dots disapear from the opposite side of
the maze where Pacman is.

The controls would be easy enough, it's really just the sprites I'd be
concerned about.

I think most people go to pacman orientation though, not the other way.
Is there a consensus on which way is more common?

On 27 Jun 2005 15:02:38 GMT, "Mark C. Spaeth"
<mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote:

>: Are the required mods (hardware or software) documented anywhere?
>
>probably not :)

No surprise there then.

max-man <max-man@hotmail.com> wrote:
: On 27 Jun 2005 15:02:38 GMT, "Mark C. Spaeth"
: <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote:
:
:
:>: Are the required mods (hardware or software) documented anywhere?
:>
:>probably not :)
:
: No surprise there then.

There's a pin on one of the 74259's that controls the screen flip, and
probably the control swapping too.

If you cut the trace on its way into the video circuit, find a spare gate
on the board to invert it, and wire the negative signal back in, it'll
flip the screen.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

On 27 Jun 2005 21:43:23 GMT, "Mark C. Spaeth"
<mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote:

>There's a pin on one of the 74259's that controls the screen flip, and
>probably the control swapping too.
>
>If you cut the trace on its way into the video circuit, find a spare gate
>on the board to invert it, and wire the negative signal back in, it'll
>flip the screen.

I'll give it a bash, cheers.