Taskbar Glitch

I'm trying to help a neighbor who has an eMachine running WinXP [home]. I'm
not overly familiar with XP . Suddenly, her Taskbar is too
wide - like two rows wide. She has only about 5 [little] icons in the
SysTray [aka: Notification Area] - and 4 small icons in Quick Launch.

Problem is: the only way to get the Taskbar 'width' back to the normal one
row, is to remove the Quick Launch icons. When I regain the normal width,
and put the 4 Quick Launch icons back, the Taskbar gets double-wide. This
occurs with no programs minimized - only the SysTray icons and the Quick
Launch icons present.

Observations: When QL icons are present, the SysTray icons are 'bunched
up' - not spread out. When QL icons are removed, SysTray icons are spread
out as normal. I've right-clicked on taskbar and gone to 'Properties' and
tried all sorts of things. I've tried selecting small icons. No matter what
I do, I'm unable to get her
taskbar back to 'normal.'

Help!

James
1 answer Last reply
More about taskbar glitch

    You can 'drag' the top edge of the QL Toolbar, up or down, with your mouse
    to resize it vertically. The size of the systray and quick launch icon
    areas, may be adjusted by placing the mouse pointer over the vertical
    dividing bar at the edge of each (you will not see this by the systray if
    you are not using the "hide inactive icons" feature....check this by right
    clicking a vacant area of the toolbar, Properties, Taskbar tab, look at the
    checkbox at the bottom of the window). Also, you can adjust the size of
    the QL icons.....
    right click a vacant area of the Desktop, Properties, Appearance tab,
    Advanced button and (using the dropdown 'Items:') select Caption Buttons and
    then adjust the size, in pixels. Not sure if this answers your
    issue....but, hope so.
    Heirloom, old and lernt that lately

    "James" <jc55@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to help a neighbor who has an eMachine running WinXP [home].
    > I'm
    > not overly familiar with XP . Suddenly, her Taskbar is too
    > wide - like two rows wide. She has only about 5 [little] icons in the
    > SysTray [aka: Notification Area] - and 4 small icons in Quick Launch.
    >
    > Problem is: the only way to get the Taskbar 'width' back to the normal
    > one
    > row, is to remove the Quick Launch icons. When I regain the normal width,
    > and put the 4 Quick Launch icons back, the Taskbar gets double-wide. This
    > occurs with no programs minimized - only the SysTray icons and the Quick
    > Launch icons present.
    >
    > Observations: When QL icons are present, the SysTray icons are 'bunched
    > up' - not spread out. When QL icons are removed, SysTray icons are spread
    > out as normal. I've right-clicked on taskbar and gone to 'Properties' and
    > tried all sorts of things. I've tried selecting small icons. No matter
    > what
    > I do, I'm unable to get her
    > taskbar back to 'normal.'
    >
    > Help!