Graphics cards w/ CAD?

Building a computer for college. I'm going for mechanical engineering, and my computer will probably see some CAD and other 3d rendering programs. I was looking at a socket 754 3400+ w/ 1GB of DDR400 ram. I'm looking for a video card in the 80-130 dollar range, preferablly with a TV Tuner. I was curious if anybody knew how much a good video card would help with programs like these? I won't be playing any video games, so I don't really think its necessary to spend a lot of money on a video card unless It'd help. Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about graphics cards
  1. If all you are going to do is modeling stuff you are going to want to get an ATI FireGL or nVidia Quadro. However, neither of those have a tv tuner. I recommend getting an ATI FireGL card and a separate ATI TVWonder PCI card for tv.
    I think a decent firegl card will run you about $150-200. A tvwonder pci will be about $50 or so. (an ati tvwonder will not work with an nVidia videocard)

A decent ati allinwonder card (gaming videocard w/ built in tv tuner) will run you about $200. nVidia doesn't make an all in one videocard.

Looks like you will need to scrape up a few more bucks. I advise that you don't go cheaper than that. You won't be happy with anything below about $200 and it isn't going to last very long as far as technology goes.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
  2. I did a little research, and it appears you can flash some of the Radeon 9800 SE and 9800 PRO cards as FireGL cards. Would this seem like a good idea?
  3. A ATI 9800 Pro would be fine, and prolly flash to XT version as well. Do not get the SE, and the FireGL is too much, for too little.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
    And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
    So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
  4. I think I might do that. Are the All in Wonders flashable to firegls? And how much of a performance gain would I get in 3d redering applications with the flash and how much would I lose in games with the flash (never know when you'll need to play a game)?
  5. If the 9800pro flash is successfull, it is the equivelant of the XT version.
    The AIW are not so good at flashing and o/c'ng...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
    And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
    So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
  6. Well, I wasn't really looking for overclocking. If I got a AIW w/ the same clockspeed as its FireGL counterpart, would the flash work?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics