Partition w/o Partition Magic

The reason I dont' want partition margic b/c it messes up the boot/partition
table and force you to keep the software after you perform the
partition/resizing. I find it very inconvenient for my network.

Is there any software available to perform partition/formating drives w/o
that software?

I'm using Win XP SP1 by the way
10 answers Last reply
More about partition partition magic

    You can boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then type:DiskPart
    In DiskPart,delete,or create a partition,if you leave unallocated space for
    another
    partition thats ok to,run,type:diskmgmt.msc R.click the unallocated space(s),
    then format.Back in DiskPart,once thru,press Esc key,then type:FORMAT C: /FS:
    ntfs You can format any partition,just change the letter,or type:HELP
    For all
    cmds,when thru,type:EXIT

    "treehh" wrote:

    > The reason I dont' want partition margic b/c it messes up the boot/partition
    > table and force you to keep the software after you perform the
    > partition/resizing. I find it very inconvenient for my network.
    >
    > Is there any software available to perform partition/formating drives w/o
    > that software?
    >
    > I'm using Win XP SP1 by the way

    Hi Guys,

    Maybe I should elaborate what I'm trying to accomplish: I already installed
    the os on the hd with 1 partition @ 40g and the other @ 210g. I wanted to
    resize it b/c that 40g partition b/c I don't need the o/s partition to be
    that big. Just wondering how can I do it w/o reformating the hd.

    If your saying you wish to format/partition then the winxp cd will do this
    but then Im not entirely clear as to what your asking.

    Andrew E. wrote:
    > You can boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then
    > type:DiskPart In DiskPart,delete,or create a partition,if you leave
    > unallocated space for another
    > partition thats ok to,run,type:diskmgmt.msc R.click the unallocated
    > space(s), then format.Back in DiskPart,once thru,press Esc key,then
    > type:FORMAT C: /FS: ntfs You can format any partition,just change
    > the letter,or type:HELP
    > For all
    > cmds,when thru,type:EXIT

    Another useless post from Andrew the Terminally Clueless F**kwit. You
    *CANNOT* use DiskPart on a drive with no unallocated space, nor can it be
    used to create unallocated space.

    He has, in case you're not paying close attention, also just instructed you
    to FORMAT C.

    Andrew, you are a clueless moron of the very lowest order. If the OP had
    been a naive newbie (which he's obviously not) he could have followed your
    'advice' blindly and lost everything on his hard drive (but that would have
    been mission accomplished for you, wouldn't it?)

    treehh wrote:
    > The reason I dont' want partition margic b/c it messes up the
    > boot/partition table and force you to keep the software after you
    > perform the partition/resizing. I find it very inconvenient for my
    > network.
    >
    > Is there any software available to perform partition/formating drives
    > w/o that software?
    >
    > I'm using Win XP SP1 by the way

    I don't really understand what you're on about. I have been using PM for
    years (I currently have version 8) and it has *NEVER* "messed up the
    boot/partition table" (whatever that really means).

    It also does *NOT* "force you to keep the software after you perform the
    partition/resizing". I have partitions on my disks that were created with
    PM8, which is no longer installed because I refuse to use anything that is
    now owned by Symantec.

    I also don't understand why having PM installed is "very inconvenient for my
    network".

    It sounds very much to me that any errors or problems you were encountering
    were PEBCAK issues.

    I now use Acronis's Disk Director instead (bought it in a half price bundle
    with True Image). But, if you cannot use PM properly, you won't have any
    better luck with Disk Director.

    Yet another wonderful post! Please continue with your sage advice!!

    > treehh wrote:
    >> The reason I dont' want partition margic b/c it messes up the
    >> boot/partition table and force you to keep the software after you
    >> perform the partition/resizing. I find it very inconvenient for my
    >> network.
    >>
    >> Is there any software available to perform partition/formating drives
    >> w/o that software?
    >>
    >> I'm using Win XP SP1 by the way
    >
    > I don't really understand what you're on about. I have been using PM for
    > years (I currently have version 8) and it has *NEVER* "messed up the
    > boot/partition table" (whatever that really means).
    >
    > It also does *NOT* "force you to keep the software after you perform the
    > partition/resizing". I have partitions on my disks that were created with
    > PM8, which is no longer installed because I refuse to use anything that is
    > now owned by Symantec.
    >
    > I also don't understand why having PM installed is "very inconvenient for
    > my network".
    >
    > It sounds very much to me that any errors or problems you were
    > encountering were PEBCAK issues.
    >
    > I now use Acronis's Disk Director instead (bought it in a half price
    > bundle with True Image). But, if you cannot use PM properly, you won't
    > have any better luck with Disk Director.
    >

    > --
    > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    treehh <treehh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >The reason I dont' want partition margic b/c it messes up the boot/partition
    >table and force you to keep the software after you perform the
    >partition/resizing. I find it very inconvenient for my network.
    >
    >Is there any software available to perform partition/formating drives w/o
    >that software?
    >
    >I'm using Win XP SP1 by the way

    There are other partitioning utilities available, such as BootItNG
    from www.bootitng.com (which is what I currently use).

    I fail to understand your problems with Partition Magic. I used it
    for several years for partitioning drives and also used their
    BootMagic as my boot manager for choosing between the 3 different
    versions of Windows that I had installed.

    I switched to BootItNG because it was less expensive that Partition
    Magic, but I find it equally functional and I have no partitioning
    related issues with my computer whatever.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    HI Ron:

    Thanks for the info, I'm not against PowerQuest or it's products. It's just
    I don't want a software to add a file on the c:\ and change the way it boots
    up.

    To elaborate my problem, here is what I encountered, I have 2 hardisks in in
    one box running winxps. I installed PowerQuest on the first hd and performed
    partitions. When I tried to switch the master/slave drives. It can't find the
    boot
    table and can't find a valid partition table either.

    That's why I'm trying to use another software without japordizing what I
    have on the disks or the need to reformatting the hard disks.

    Any suggestions?

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > treehh <treehh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The reason I dont' want partition margic b/c it messes up the boot/partition
    > >table and force you to keep the software after you perform the
    > >partition/resizing. I find it very inconvenient for my network.
    > >
    > >Is there any software available to perform partition/formating drives w/o
    > >that software?
    > >
    > >I'm using Win XP SP1 by the way
    >
    > There are other partitioning utilities available, such as BootItNG
    > from www.bootitng.com (which is what I currently use).
    >
    > I fail to understand your problems with Partition Magic. I used it
    > for several years for partitioning drives and also used their
    > BootMagic as my boot manager for choosing between the 3 different
    > versions of Windows that I had installed.
    >
    > I switched to BootItNG because it was less expensive that Partition
    > Magic, but I find it equally functional and I have no partitioning
    > related issues with my computer whatever.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    treehh <treehh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >HI Ron:
    >
    >Thanks for the info, I'm not against PowerQuest or it's products. It's just
    >I don't want a software to add a file on the c:\ and change the way it boots
    >up.
    >
    >To elaborate my problem, here is what I encountered, I have 2 hardisks in in
    >one box running winxps. I installed PowerQuest on the first hd and performed
    >partitions. When I tried to switch the master/slave drives. It can't find the
    >boot
    >table and can't find a valid partition table either.
    >
    >That's why I'm trying to use another software without japordizing what I
    >have on the disks or the need to reformatting the hard disks.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    The non-boot problem would be a Windows XP issue I believe.

    Windows XP will put the boot files onto the Primary DOS partition of
    the Primary Master hard drive, regardless of which partition on which
    drive the actual XP install is made to.

    So when you swapped the master and slave drives, the boot files were
    now on the slave drive and when the computer tried to boot from what
    was now the primary master drive (the former slave drive) there were
    no boot files found.

    And if you had BootMagic installed (the boot manager from Partition
    Magic) the same thing would have happened to it- Boot Magic was now on
    the slave drive.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    A pc technician told me it's b/c when I installed the bigger hard disk, I put
    it as a slave thus the primary drive info doesn't reside on the bigger hard
    disk but the smaller one. I had to reinstall the bigger one as a master and
    w/o any slave disks to correct the situation

Partition Partition Magic Software Windows XP Product