Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell 2400 and the latest DVD writers

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:27:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

HI!!

I bought a Benq DVD writer, DW 1620, but it won't fit into the case of
my Dell 2400. It is about a 1/16th to 1/8th too wide for the front
opening. Can I assume that it is because Dell is a proprietary
computer, or is it because BenQ DVD writers are about 1/8 too long, or
what?

Has anybody filed the plastic opening in the Dell case to make a DVD
writer fit? My warrant is over, but I don't want to mess up the case,
either.

Whatever should I do now?

Thanks, as always, for great help

Mike
March 14, 2005 7:54:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Are you taking off the front plastic panel that covers
the cd drives?
Any cd/dvd drive should fit. I have the same computer
and any cd/dvd drive will fit.
Dave
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 11:04:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1110846449.470777.217040@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> HI!!
>
> I bought a Benq DVD writer, DW 1620, but it won't fit into the case of
> my Dell 2400. It is about a 1/16th to 1/8th too wide for the front
> opening. Can I assume that it is because Dell is a proprietary
> computer, or is it because BenQ DVD writers are about 1/8 too long, or
> what?
>
> Has anybody filed the plastic opening in the Dell case to make a DVD
> writer fit? My warrant is over, but I don't want to mess up the case,
> either.
>
> Whatever should I do now?
>
> Thanks, as always, for great help
>
> Mike
>


http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/e...

Use the plastic tabs (3) to swing off the front bezel. These are visible
with the side cover off. Secondly, note that there are (2) shouldered
chromed screws (that hold nothing as they are for adding an optical drive)
in the front center mounted to the chassis (at or around the power on/off
switch). These function as alignment "ears" and should be installed on the
FRONT lower mount holes of your new drive. Use your existing drive as a
reference.

With the bezel off, the drive should slide right into the steel case drive
cage and line up with your existing drive almost perfectly. Remove the
"blank" plastic optical drive cover for your formerly empty drive bay (if
you plan to use both opticals). Couple of plastic tabs and pull it out.


Stew
Related resources
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 4:08:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It will fit. It's just a tight fit. I had a similar problem but eventually
got it to work.

Tom
"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1110848061.335713.21690@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Are you taking off the front plastic panel that covers
> the cd drives?
> Any cd/dvd drive should fit. I have the same computer
> and any cd/dvd drive will fit.
> Dave
>
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:36:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Gee, am I ever humbled, and embarrassed, (and also stupid!)

I never thought about removing the front cover of my Dell.2400 Thanks
everybody!

Mike
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:11:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1110976571.011058.120130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Gee, am I ever humbled, and embarrassed, (and also stupid!)
>
> I never thought about removing the front cover of my Dell.2400 Thanks
> everybody!
>
> Mike
>

Nah. No biggie. Now you know.


Stew
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:29:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:

>Gee, am I ever humbled, and embarrassed, (and also stupid!)
>
>I never thought about removing the front cover of my Dell.2400 Thanks
>everybody!

Don't feel bad Mike. Did the same thing with a philosophical
predecessor to the 2400, an L733r that I was selling, and wanted
to put a second, larger HD in [I had bought it but never
installed it, now was the time] in the place of a never-used
Dell-installed Zip Drive. Took forever for me to realize that
removing the front cover was the ticket to doing so. I'd like to
blame it on age [61], but the fact was that in true geek fashion,
I refused to RTFM until it was absolutely necessary for me to get
the job done. [CSI-Miami was coming on - well, more properly
Emily Proctor and Khandi Alexander were coming on - shortly, so
time-to-completion was of the essence. ;->]
--
OJ III
[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:
> Gee, am I ever humbled, and embarrassed, (and also stupid!)
>
> I never thought about removing the front cover of my Dell.2400

That's why he gets the big bucks! :) 
!