Dell 2400 and the latest DVD writers

HI!!

I bought a Benq DVD writer, DW 1620, but it won't fit into the case of
my Dell 2400. It is about a 1/16th to 1/8th too wide for the front
opening. Can I assume that it is because Dell is a proprietary
computer, or is it because BenQ DVD writers are about 1/8 too long, or
what?

Has anybody filed the plastic opening in the Dell case to make a DVD
writer fit? My warrant is over, but I don't want to mess up the case,
either.

Whatever should I do now?

Thanks, as always, for great help

Mike
7 answers Last reply
More about dell 2400 latest writers

    Are you taking off the front plastic panel that covers
    the cd drives?
    Any cd/dvd drive should fit. I have the same computer
    and any cd/dvd drive will fit.
    Dave

    <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > HI!!
    >
    > I bought a Benq DVD writer, DW 1620, but it won't fit into the case of
    > my Dell 2400. It is about a 1/16th to 1/8th too wide for the front
    > opening. Can I assume that it is because Dell is a proprietary
    > computer, or is it because BenQ DVD writers are about 1/8 too long, or
    > what?
    >
    > Has anybody filed the plastic opening in the Dell case to make a DVD
    > writer fit? My warrant is over, but I don't want to mess up the case,
    > either.
    >
    > Whatever should I do now?
    >
    > Thanks, as always, for great help
    >
    > Mike

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/drives.htm#1107290

    Use the plastic tabs (3) to swing off the front bezel. These are visible
    with the side cover off. Secondly, note that there are (2) shouldered
    chromed screws (that hold nothing as they are for adding an optical drive)
    in the front center mounted to the chassis (at or around the power on/off
    switch). These function as alignment "ears" and should be installed on the
    FRONT lower mount holes of your new drive. Use your existing drive as a
    reference.

    With the bezel off, the drive should slide right into the steel case drive
    cage and line up with your existing drive almost perfectly. Remove the
    "blank" plastic optical drive cover for your formerly empty drive bay (if
    you plan to use both opticals). Couple of plastic tabs and pull it out.

    Stew

    It will fit. It's just a tight fit. I had a similar problem but eventually
    got it to work.

    Tom
    "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Are you taking off the front plastic panel that covers
    > the cd drives?
    > Any cd/dvd drive should fit. I have the same computer
    > and any cd/dvd drive will fit.
    > Dave

    Gee, am I ever humbled, and embarrassed, (and also stupid!)

    I never thought about removing the front cover of my Dell.2400 Thanks
    everybody!

    Mike

    > Gee, am I ever humbled, and embarrassed, (and also stupid!)
    >
    > I never thought about removing the front cover of my Dell.2400 Thanks
    > everybody!
    >
    > Mike

    Nah. No biggie. Now you know.

    Stew

    axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Gee, am I ever humbled, and embarrassed, (and also stupid!)
    >
    >I never thought about removing the front cover of my Dell.2400 Thanks
    >everybody!

    Don't feel bad Mike. Did the same thing with a philosophical
    predecessor to the 2400, an L733r that I was selling, and wanted
    to put a second, larger HD in [I had bought it but never
    installed it, now was the time] in the place of a never-used
    Dell-installed Zip Drive. Took forever for me to realize that
    removing the front cover was the ticket to doing so. I'd like to
    blame it on age [61], but the fact was that in true geek fashion,
    I refused to RTFM until it was absolutely necessary for me to get
    the job done. [CSI-Miami was coming on - well, more properly
    Emily Proctor and Khandi Alexander were coming on - shortly, so
    time-to-completion was of the essence. ;->]
    --
    OJ III

    axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Gee, am I ever humbled, and embarrassed, (and also stupid!)
    >
    > I never thought about removing the front cover of my Dell.2400

    That's why he gets the big bucks! :)

Dell Cases DVD Writers Computers