Space Panic Attract Mode Sound Tech Question

Last response: in Video Games
June 26, 2005 11:38:14 PM

I am a pinball collector so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to
video game technical questions. A friend asked me to look at a Space Panic
cocktail video game for them that they said wasn't working quite right.
Well it turns out that it is working fine except for the lack of sound in
the attract mode. There are some sounds during gameplay (as primitive as
they may be) but they say that there used to be music during the attract
mode. Can anyone tell me if this game was designed with sound in the
attract mode and any possible problems causing it not to work correctly
anymore (just the attract sound like I said)? I dowloaded a maual off the
net and I see a sub sound board - could this be the problem? It looks like
it has a pot on it to control volume and I know they go bad sometimes.
Oh yes, HOw the heck do you open up the coctail cabinet to get a look at the
boards. I see a lock on the coin door access and a lock on the side panel
but I could not open it up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kramertheman
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:37:12 PM

The board has a circuit to turn the sound off, so you should not have
any sound in attract mode - however, the circuit on the PCB I have here
must be slightly dodgy, since you can just make out the little footstep
and falling monster noises, but they are very very quiet. (and you would
probably not hear them if the radio was on or something similar)

now whether there's a dip switch to make this optional I'm not sure -
there's a manual linked from my page
<http://www.arcades.org.uk/collect.htm&gt; if you wanted to check.

You'll need to download the DJVU viewer to use it, I now use this since
it makes a typical manual about half the size!

Kramertheman wrote:
> I am a pinball collector so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to
> video game technical questions. A friend asked me to look at a Space Panic
> cocktail video game for them that they said wasn't working quite right.
> Well it turns out that it is working fine except for the lack of sound in
> the attract mode. There are some sounds during gameplay (as primitive as
> they may be) but they say that there used to be music during the attract
> mode. Can anyone tell me if this game was designed with sound in the
> attract mode and any possible problems causing it not to work correctly
> anymore (just the attract sound like I said)? I dowloaded a maual off the
> net and I see a sub sound board - could this be the problem? It looks like
> it has a pot on it to control volume and I know they go bad sometimes.
> Oh yes, HOw the heck do you open up the coctail cabinet to get a look at the
> boards. I see a lock on the coin door access and a lock on the side panel
> but I could not open it up. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kramertheman

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 6:06:40 PM

What resolution that .djvu file scanned, 50 dpi? You can barely zoom before it basically just
disappears into jiberish.

I really do not see a file size difference that's worth talking about. Maybe I need to look at some
more examples.

djvu =1056 KB
pdf = 1233 KB

Both are 27 pages with color for the front and back pages.

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF%20Arcade%20Manuals%20and...

File date of 2 Sept, 2003

I prefer 300dpi color for the covers of manuals, 300 dpi b&w line art for the manual and 600dpi b&w
line art for 11x17 schematics.

With those settings you can't go wrong.

David Haynes
dlh@bombjack.org

www.bombjack.org

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:37:12 +0100, Mike Coates <Mike@the-coates.com> wrote:

>The board has a circuit to turn the sound off, so you should not have
>any sound in attract mode - however, the circuit on the PCB I have here
>must be slightly dodgy, since you can just make out the little footstep
>and falling monster noises, but they are very very quiet. (and you would
>probably not hear them if the radio was on or something similar)
>
>now whether there's a dip switch to make this optional I'm not sure -
>there's a manual linked from my page
><http://www.arcades.org.uk/collect.htm&gt; if you wanted to check.
>
>You'll need to download the DJVU viewer to use it, I now use this since
>it makes a typical manual about half the size!
>
>Kramertheman wrote:
>> I am a pinball collector so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to
>> video game technical questions. A friend asked me to look at a Space Panic
>> cocktail video game for them that they said wasn't working quite right.
>> Well it turns out that it is working fine except for the lack of sound in
>> the attract mode. There are some sounds during gameplay (as primitive as
>> they may be) but they say that there used to be music during the attract
>> mode. Can anyone tell me if this game was designed with sound in the
>> attract mode and any possible problems causing it not to work correctly
>> anymore (just the attract sound like I said)? I dowloaded a maual off the
>> net and I see a sub sound board - could this be the problem? It looks like
>> it has a pot on it to control volume and I know they go bad sometimes.
>> Oh yes, HOw the heck do you open up the coctail cabinet to get a look at the
>> boards. I see a lock on the coin door access and a lock on the side panel
>> but I could not open it up. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kramertheman

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:05:18 AM

> What resolution that .djvu file scanned, 50 dpi? You can barely zoom before it basically just
> disappears into jiberish.

that was just converted from the pdf, and yes, the size isn't that
different. I got better results on the data IO manuals, they shrunk
significantly - one went from 10mb to about 2mb.

maybe I should scan the manual I have here to improve the quality, or
just re-scan the schematics and leave the rest as is.
!