Network Sharing Help

Blake

I have 2000 Pro on my desktop & XP Pro on my laptop. Everything is working
fine on my desktop but I can not access my desktop from my laptop. When I
click on my desktop while on my laptop, I get \\computername is not
accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
this computer.

Also, I can not get the printers to work from my laptop. The printers are
connected to the desktop.

Thanks,
Blake

Blake wrote:
> I have 2000 Pro on my desktop & XP Pro on my laptop.
> Everything is working fine on my desktop but I can not
> access my desktop from my laptop. When I click on my desktop
> while on my laptop, I get \\computername is not accessible.
> You might not have permission to use this network resource.
> Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> have access permissions.
>
> Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested
> logon type at this computer.
>
> Also, I can not get the printers to work from my laptop. The
> printers are connected to the desktop.
>
> Thanks,
> Blake

Try creating an account on the desktop that is identical in
user name and password as the one you are using on the laptop.
For instance, if you have a Blake account on the XP machine,
you'll need a Blake account on the Win2K Pro box. Make sure
this new account has the proper permissions to access
resources. Log off your laptop and log back on. See if you can
access any shared folders. Assuming the desktop's printer is
shared, see if you can add it as a network printer on your
laptop.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Blake

I tried that. My laptop is setup as administrator and my desktop was the
same. My desktop had an administrator setting so I set the password to match
the laptop. When I logged on the desktop as administrator with the password,
the desktop would lock up when I tried accessing any folder. What do I need
to look for in the permissions? I did adjust the permissions settings but
maybe I missed something.

Thanks,
Blake

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Blake wrote:
> > I have 2000 Pro on my desktop & XP Pro on my laptop.
> > Everything is working fine on my desktop but I can not
> > access my desktop from my laptop. When I click on my desktop
> > while on my laptop, I get \\computername is not accessible.
> > You might not have permission to use this network resource.
> > Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> > have access permissions.
> >
> > Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested
> > logon type at this computer.
> >
> > Also, I can not get the printers to work from my laptop. The
> > printers are connected to the desktop.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Blake
>
> Try creating an account on the desktop that is identical in
> user name and password as the one you are using on the laptop.
> For instance, if you have a Blake account on the XP machine,
> you'll need a Blake account on the Win2K Pro box. Make sure
> this new account has the proper permissions to access
> resources. Log off your laptop and log back on. See if you can
> access any shared folders. Assuming the desktop's printer is
> shared, see if you can add it as a network printer on your
> laptop.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Hi Blake,
I had a similar problem networking two XP Pro machines recently. Do you have
a seperate (i.e. not Windows) Firewall program? If you do, it may be that. It
was, in my case. I checked the Firewall settings and altered them to suit my
network configuration.
Hope this helps
--
HRM

Blake wrote:
> I tried that. My laptop is setup as administrator and my
> desktop was the same. My desktop had an administrator
> setting so I set the password to match the laptop. When I
> logged on the desktop as administrator with the password,
> the desktop would lock up when I tried accessing any folder.
> What do I need to look for in the permissions? I did adjust
> the permissions settings but maybe I missed something.
>
> Thanks,
> Blake

First of all, you should reserve the built-in Administrator
account for emergency use only. The standard recommendation is
to create an additional account that is a member of the
administrator's group. If you've already created these
accounts, great.

That said, you might want to try the following:

1. As has been pointed out, make sure any 3rd party firewall
programs that are running on your desktop are configured to
allow access from other computers on your network.

2. Check the Local Security Policy on the Win2K machine. It's
located in Adminstrative Tools. Under Local Policies\User
Rights Assignment, make sure that "Deny access to this computer
from the network" has not been enabled. Also, make sure that
the appropriate groups are included in the "Access this
computer from the network" policy.

3.Log on to your desktop computer.
Stop sharing all the resources that are currently being shared
over your network, folders and printers. You should start from
scratch.
Reboot your computer.
Once your computer restarts, go back and recreate your shared
folders and printer. Make sure that the Everyone group has Full
Control. Check both the Sharing and the Security tabs.
Restart your laptop.
See if you can access the folders on your desktop.

If you're still having problems getting file sharing to work
and you haven't done so already you might want to post this
question to the Windows XP networking newsgroup. You can access
them here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web&lang=en&cr=US

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Blake

First of all. I appreciate all the answers and help.

Fitzbugglit,
I already checked the firewalls. I discovered the firewall situation by
searching a few days ago. I turned the Windows XP firewall off and I am using
the Norton firewall on my laptop. What is the difference between the 2
firewalls?

Nepatsfan,
I followed your steps and the file and printer sharing is working perfectly.
Now I have a few more questions. I am using Outlook Express 6 on my desktop
with Windows 2000 Pro. I am trying to get my e-mail to receive on my laptop
which I am also using OE6 but on XP Pro. I can send e-mail from my laptop but
I receive e-mail through my desktop. How do I set OE6 up to receive e-mail on
my laptop as well as my desktop? On my desktop, I have a profile for my wife
and myself. Which means she has her own address book and I have my own. Where
are the address books located? I was able to import the "DEFAULT" address
book but it has both my e-mail addresses as well as my wife's e-mail
addresses mixed together. Which is better OE6 or Outlook 2003?

I am hoping to do a clean install of XP Pro to my desk top this weekend.
Will I still be able to use my laptop to access the internet, e-mail,
printers and files while my desktop is down? I will save our important files
to my laptop before I perform the clean install.

Thanks,
Blake

Blake wrote:
> First of all. I appreciate all the answers and help.
>
> Fitzbugglit,
> I already checked the firewalls. I discovered the firewall
> situation by searching a few days ago. I turned the Windows
> XP firewall off and I am using the Norton firewall on my
> laptop. What is the difference between the 2 firewalls?
>
> Nepatsfan,
> I followed your steps and the file and printer sharing is
> working perfectly. Now I have a few more questions. I am
> using Outlook Express 6 on my desktop with Windows 2000 Pro.
> I am trying to get my e-mail to receive on my laptop which I
> am also using OE6 but on XP Pro. I can send e-mail from my
> laptop but I receive e-mail through my desktop. How do I set
> OE6 up to receive e-mail on my laptop as well as my desktop?
> On my desktop, I have a profile for my wife and myself.
> Which means she has her own address book and I have my own.
> Where are the address books located? I was able to import
> the "DEFAULT" address book but it has both my e-mail
> addresses as well as my wife's e-mail addresses mixed
> together. Which is better OE6 or Outlook 2003?
>
> I am hoping to do a clean install of XP Pro to my desk top
> this weekend. Will I still be able to use my laptop to
> access the internet, e-mail, printers and files while my
> desktop is down? I will save our important files to my
> laptop before I perform the clean install.
>
> Thanks,
> Blake

Glad to see that you got your networking issues resolved.

You might want to post your email questions to the Outlook
Express newsgroup:

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?lang=en&cr=US&dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&sloc=en-us

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Blake

Nepatfan,
Everything was working fine 2 nights ago once I followed you suggestions but
it was not working last night. I could not access the desktop from my laptop.
I could not see my laptop from my desktop. When I first got my laptop, I was
logged on as the "Administrator" and I had installed some programs, saved
some information to my "Favorite" folder, created some icons on my desktop
and created some files and folders. So when I got home yesterday, I moved
those items to my account "blake" which I created as per you previous
response. The internet went out for some time last night. Once the internet
(cable) came back on, I was not able to access my desktop and I could not
access the internet from my laptop. The wireless icon in the bottom tray just
showed that the laptop was accessing the network.
Did I to something without realizing it? How do I and what are the steps in
configuring the firewalls? I found a site (forum) that explained the firewall
configuration but I can not remember where that site is.

Thanks,
Blake

Blake wrote:
> Nepatsfan,
> The disconnection and reconnection of the cable and wires
> worked. Evrything is working fine.
>
> Thanks so much for your help,
> Blake
Great! Glad to hear you got that fixed.

File that procedure away for the next time you have trouble
with your internet connection. It's the first thing you should
try when you start troubleshooting the problem.

Nepatsfan