TV+Monitor Problem

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I got a new TV for christmas as well as a desk. And the only place in my room I could put the tv was on top of my desk right above my monitor. The tv is about 4 inches above the monitor with about 2 inches of wood between them. And I can tell the are messeing each other up. There is a horizontal line the goes down my monitor slowly when my tv and monitor are on at the same time. And when my tv is on, and I just turn on my monitor, the tv will flash with rainbow colors and go back to normal. Is there any damage being done by this?

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
i've searched google...i can't find anything related..

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>|<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>|<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>|<font color=purple>NEC Accucync90 19"</font color=purple>|<font color=black>Sapphire 9600XT</font color=black>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Short-term, no damage being done. It's just the em interference of the 2 tubes causing the other to have strange effects.

Long-term may be a different issue, and I don't know how long-term 'long-term' is. But I'm pretty sure that if you were to leave them both on for a year, there would be some permanent change in one or both (maybe because the magnets would be changed? - don't know, reaching for reasons here...). I don't know where I got that idea, but I seem to remember someone reputable telling me that, many years ago.

Mike.

RichPLS

Champion
Wouldn't any magnetic interference be cleared up via degousing? So it wouldn't be permanent...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
My understanding of degaussing is that it just drains the static build-up off of the tube due to normal use. External interference may be different. Something (and I may be full of sh.t) is telling me that over time, constant warping of the magnetic fields around the tube (caused by another tube in close proximity) can cause a permanent change in the tube itself.

But seriously, I hope someone who really knows will post the real deal.

Thinking a bit more - maybe something as simple as tin foil (as a shield) between the monitor and TV could be enough to shield it. (insert picture of wierdo with tin-foil hat protecting him from cosmic rays here) :smile:

Mike.