Sign in with
Your question

Ti4200 not recognized, possible heat damage?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 27, 2004 9:12:51 PM

Hello all,

I just wondered if anyone here could possibly help me out. I have a pretty old computer (Athlon 1800+, KT266A) that has a ASUS GF4 Ti4200 128 MB in it.

When I got home over christmas and used the comp for the first time in a couple of months, I noticed that the comp didn't recognize the Ti4200 at all, and was running some kind of default VGA driver. Reinstalling detonators did nothing to help this, so I checked the card itself and noticed that the fan on it was very still. Touching the card I felt it was pretty hot.

So, the card works (I'm using it right now, and it has been used in this semi-broken state for a few months by my family, so it doesn't seem to take any further damage) but it isn't recognized at all as a Ti4200, so everything is sluggish and slow. Appearantly, this means the card isn't totally ruined, but does someone know if there is any way of getting the computer to use the correct drivers for the card (it's not that hard to fix the failed fan) or do you think this card is impossible to use properly? Might there be some other reason it isn't recognized besides the possible heat damage?

Thanks in advance!

-----
AXP 1800+, EPoX 8KHA+, 512MB Kingston DDR266, GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB, 60GB IBM HD, Hercules MuseLT.
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2004 9:42:56 PM

Reinstall the VIA 4-in-1 drivers. Remove all the nVidia drivers. Remove all video cards from Device Manager. Reboot, let the system detect the card as some kind of default VGA adapter. Then re-install the nVidia driver.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 27, 2004 9:50:29 PM

You should never use the card once you realize the fan is not working.If I understand correctly the computer was being used even after you ralize of the problem with the video card.
The damage you inflict on the card due to overheating by now is unpredictable because U kept using it. It becomes hard to tell what corrective action you need to take until you
replace the fan and have the colling system of the card running. Then you can see how the card performs and take it from there.
Overheating will create a number of problems that can not be solved until temperatures go down to specs.
Related resources
December 28, 2004 1:51:55 PM

Yep, it's mainly my family that uses the comp, so they probably didn't even know something was broken until I noticed it a few days ago. As the card still is in working order after being run without a working fan for months, I figured the worst damage must already be done.

Still, I wonder if there is something that can be done to get the comp to recognize the card as a Ti4200 again if I replace the fan.

It's just a theoretical question, it might be too damaged to ever work properly again. I just wonder if I should even hope to get it in working order again or just buy a new one.

-----
AXP 1800+, EPoX 8KHA+, 512MB Kingston DDR266, GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB, 60GB IBM HD, Hercules MuseLT.
December 28, 2004 1:55:26 PM

Just to clarify, I have tried reinstalling Detonators and via 4-in-1, but the autodetection is broken somehow. My comp doesn't understand that it's a Ti4200 it's using. Even when I install the detonators it's still using the default VGA adapter driver. Is there some way to override the built in auto detection and force the comp to use the correct drivers?

Edit: It turns out I don't even have a graphics card tab in the device manager... Doesn't seem that good to me... The only way I can see that the device exists and what driver it uses is through the advanced display settings, under the Graphics card tab.

-----
AXP 1800+, EPoX 8KHA+, 512MB Kingston DDR266, GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB, 60GB IBM HD, Hercules MuseLT.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ollibolli on 12/28/04 02:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 28, 2004 7:37:48 PM

I really think that Crashman is on the button with this issue. If the AGP card can get past the CMOS check then mostly it should be fine. Rip out the nvidia drivers and chipset drivers, reboot into safe-mode and run driver cleaner then reboot. Let windows do its thing and reinstall the 4-in-1 chipset drivers then reboot. Then install the Forceware driver and reboot.

If that does not work then FDISK, FORMAT, REINSTALL DO DAH DO DAH!

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2004 10:33:45 PM

There is a last resort method, but it could screw things up: If you only have the one card listed in device manager, you can go to properties, update driver, "no, I will choose my own driver" and choose it from a list.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 29, 2004 7:37:50 PM

I'll try a full format with all extras in a few days, I'll update you on the results... :) 

As for the last suggestion, my card *isn't* listed at all in the device manager, my device manager doesn't even have a small "Graphics Card" thing to list cards below. The only way I can "see" the card as a device is through the advanced settings in display properties (right click on desktop).

-----
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2004 8:29:19 PM

Device Manager list it under the "Display Adapter" heading.

December 29, 2004 10:47:58 PM

Yup, there was no such heading in my device manager (I just translated from Swedish, got it a bit wrong)...

I've reformatted now, and turned a case fan into a temporary Ti4200 cooler, and everything works just fine again... :) 

Thanks a lot for all the help, I really thought I'd have to buy a new card, as it had been running in "overheat mode" for a few months already. Great to see the card handled that, it's far better than anything else that I have ever seen that's overheated.

Now, time to buy a new fan. Are there any that will fit into the stock heatsink? It's an ASUS card.

-----
AXP 1800+, EPoX 8KHA+, 512MB Kingston DDR266, GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB, 60GB IBM HD, Hercules MuseLT.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ollibolli on 12/29/04 11:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!