Upgrading XP Home to XP Pro

May 31, 2005 2:21:21 AM

I am about to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro.

MS doesn't seem to give any major words of wisdom and I would lke to know if
there are any critical preparations I should do before I run the Pro
install.

Will Home upgrade to Pro and keep applications and settings intact?

Thanks

Phil

More about : upgrading home pro

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:23:51 PM

Upgrade Advice, Known Issues, and Answers: http://microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/b...

HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Setup Problems When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me :
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/310064

Items Are Missing After You Upgrade to Windows XP Professional: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q307229

Dial-Up Networking Connections Do Not Work After Upgrade to Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303488&Product=winxp

Error Messages Appear During Upgrade from Windows Me or Windows 98 to Windows XP Professional (:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q307/1...

NTLDR Is Missing Error Message When You Upgrade or Install Over Windows 95 or Windows 98 (Q2552:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q255/2...

Stop 0x0000000A Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal Error Message During Windows XP Upgrade (Q311564):
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q311/5...

OLEXP Mail Objects Missing After Upgrade to Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q313055

Q297185 - STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME Error Message During Windows XP Upgrade:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q297185

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Phil" <use@news.group> wrote in message news:qKGdnWzZjb22RQbfRVn-3A@comcast.com...
>I am about to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro.
>
> MS doesn't seem to give any major words of wisdom and I would lke to know if
> there are any critical preparations I should do before I run the Pro
> install.
>
> Will Home upgrade to Pro and keep applications and settings intact?
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:12:12 PM

"Phil" <use@news.group> wrote:

>I am about to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro.
>
>MS doesn't seem to give any major words of wisdom and I would lke to know if
>there are any critical preparations I should do before I run the Pro
>install.
>
>Will Home upgrade to Pro and keep applications and settings intact?
>
>Thanks
>
>Phil

Yes. Even though it is not mentioned in the documentation for the XP
Pro Upgrade version, upgrades from Home to Pro are fully supported and
should be no more problematic than upgrading from other versions of
Windows. In fact there should be fewer concerns or issues because all
the upgrade is doing is to add those additional functions and features
that are unique to XP Pro and which are not included with XP Home.

Other than those specific items the two versions are the same, and
they are compiled from the same source code base. In particular there
is zero difference in performance or stability between the two.

One caution: If your installed XP Home has been upgraded to Service
Pack 2 and your XP Pro Upgrade CD is for either the original release
or Service Pack 1 versions then you will have to create a new
installation CD with Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it before you
can do the upgrade. See the following websites:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-boot...
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
June 1, 2005 1:04:36 AM

Mark, Ron,
Many thanks to you both for your inputs. I will be givng this try this comig
weekend!

Again - Thanks,
Phil

!