Upgrading XP Home to XP Pro

I am about to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro.

MS doesn't seem to give any major words of wisdom and I would lke to know if
there are any critical preparations I should do before I run the Pro
install.

Will Home upgrade to Pro and keep applications and settings intact?

Thanks

Phil
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrading home

    Upgrade Advice, Known Issues, and Answers: http://microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/before.asp

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Setup Problems When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me :
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/310064

    Items Are Missing After You Upgrade to Windows XP Professional: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q307229

    Dial-Up Networking Connections Do Not Work After Upgrade to Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303488&Product=winxp

    Error Messages Appear During Upgrade from Windows Me or Windows 98 to Windows XP Professional (:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q307/1/53.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=catroot2&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WINXP

    NTLDR Is Missing Error Message When You Upgrade or Install Over Windows 95 or Windows 98 (Q2552:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q255/2/20.asp

    Stop 0x0000000A Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal Error Message During Windows XP Upgrade (Q311564):
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q311/5/64.ASP

    OLEXP Mail Objects Missing After Upgrade to Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q313055

    Q297185 - STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME Error Message During Windows XP Upgrade:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q297185

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509

    "Phil" <use@news.group> wrote:

    >I am about to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro.
    >
    >MS doesn't seem to give any major words of wisdom and I would lke to know if
    >there are any critical preparations I should do before I run the Pro
    >install.
    >
    >Will Home upgrade to Pro and keep applications and settings intact?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Phil

    Yes. Even though it is not mentioned in the documentation for the XP
    Pro Upgrade version, upgrades from Home to Pro are fully supported and
    should be no more problematic than upgrading from other versions of
    Windows. In fact there should be fewer concerns or issues because all
    the upgrade is doing is to add those additional functions and features
    that are unique to XP Pro and which are not included with XP Home.

    Other than those specific items the two versions are the same, and
    they are compiled from the same source code base. In particular there
    is zero difference in performance or stability between the two.

    One caution: If your installed XP Home has been upgraded to Service
    Pack 2 and your XP Pro Upgrade CD is for either the original release
    or Service Pack 1 versions then you will have to create a new
    installation CD with Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it before you
    can do the upgrade. See the following websites:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Mark, Ron,
    Many thanks to you both for your inputs. I will be givng this try this comig
    weekend!

    Again - Thanks,
    Phil

    "Phil" <use@news.group> wrote in message
    > I am about to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro.
    >
    > MS doesn't seem to give any major words of wisdom and I would lke to know
    if
    > there are any critical preparations I should do before I run the Pro
    > install.
    >
    > Will Home upgrade to Pro and keep applications and settings intact?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Phil

Support Microsoft Windows XP