  • Support
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 31, 2005 3:54:33 AM

Hi All,
When I click on the START and then select Help and Support the "Help and
Support" window briefly comes up and then dissappears.

What is the fix?
GJ

More about : windows window disappears

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:35:35 PM

See if these commands help, from Start, Run dialog:

helpctr -regserver
regsvr32 itss
regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
regsvr32 jscript

Fix Windows XP Help:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.ht...

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> When I click on the START and then select Help and Support the "Help and
> Support" window briefly comes up and then dissappears.
>
> What is the fix?
> GJ

May 31, 2005 1:35:36 PM

Hi Ramesh,
Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately the commands did not work including the utility in the Fix
Windows XP Help: link.
Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
GJ

> See if these commands help, from Start, Run dialog:
>
> helpctr -regserver
> regsvr32 itss
> regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
> regsvr32 jscript
>
> Fix Windows XP Help:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.ht...
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>> When I click on the START and then select Help and Support the "Help and
>> Support" window briefly comes up and then dissappears.
>>
>> What is the fix?
>> GJ

May 31, 2005 3:40:56 PM

Glen,

Is the result same when you run Helpctr.exe directly from Start/Run dialog:

%windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe

If so, a complete rebuild of Help might fix the problem. See

Helpfix.txt: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Helpfix.txt

--

> Hi Ramesh,
> Thanks for your help.
> Unfortunately the commands did not work including the utility in the Fix
> Windows XP Help: link.
> Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
> GJ

>> See if these commands help, from Start, Run dialog:
>>
>> helpctr -regserver
>> regsvr32 itss
>> regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
>> regsvr32 jscript
>>
>> Fix Windows XP Help:
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.ht...
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>> When I click on the START and then select Help and Support the "Help and
>>> Support" window briefly comes up and then dissappears.
>>>
>>> What is the fix?
>>> GJ

June 1, 2005 5:45:24 AM

Hi Ramesh,
The same symptoms was observed on running HelpCtr.exe.

However, The solution you sent does seem to address the issue and I will
test it later.

Thank you very much for your prompt replys and valuable suggestions.
Best Regards,
Glen

> Glen,
>
> Is the result same when you run Helpctr.exe directly from Start/Run
> dialog:
>
> %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe
>
> If so, a complete rebuild of Help might fix the problem. See
>
> Helpfix.txt: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Helpfix.txt
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Ramesh,
>> Thanks for your help.
>> Unfortunately the commands did not work including the utility in the Fix
>> Windows XP Help: link.
>> Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
>> GJ
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> See if these commands help, from Start, Run dialog:
>>>
>>> helpctr -regserver
>>> regsvr32 itss
>>> regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
>>> regsvr32 jscript
>>>
>>> Fix Windows XP Help:
>>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.ht...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:21:19 PM

>> The solution you sent does seem to address the issue.

That procedure rebuilds the help completely, thereby restoring missing files
and settings.

--

!