Windows Help window disappears

Hi All,
When I click on the START and then select Help and Support the "Help and
Support" window briefly comes up and then dissappears.

What is the fix?
GJ
5 answers Last reply
More about windows window disappears

    See if these commands help, from Start, Run dialog:

    helpctr -regserver
    regsvr32 itss
    regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    regsvr32 jscript

    Fix Windows XP Help:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > When I click on the START and then select Help and Support the "Help and
    > Support" window briefly comes up and then dissappears.
    >
    > What is the fix?
    > GJ

    Hi Ramesh,
    Thanks for your help.
    Unfortunately the commands did not work including the utility in the Fix
    Windows XP Help: link.
    Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    GJ

    > See if these commands help, from Start, Run dialog:
    >
    > helpctr -regserver
    > regsvr32 itss
    > regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    > regsvr32 jscript
    >
    > Fix Windows XP Help:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >> When I click on the START and then select Help and Support the "Help and
    >> Support" window briefly comes up and then dissappears.
    >>
    >> What is the fix?
    >> GJ

    Glen,

    Is the result same when you run Helpctr.exe directly from Start/Run dialog:

    %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe

    If so, a complete rebuild of Help might fix the problem. See

    Helpfix.txt: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Helpfix.txt

    --

    > Hi Ramesh,
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Unfortunately the commands did not work including the utility in the Fix
    > Windows XP Help: link.
    > Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    > GJ

    >> See if these commands help, from Start, Run dialog:
    >>
    >> helpctr -regserver
    >> regsvr32 itss
    >> regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    >> regsvr32 jscript
    >>
    >> Fix Windows XP Help:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> When I click on the START and then select Help and Support the "Help and
    >>> Support" window briefly comes up and then dissappears.
    >>>
    >>> What is the fix?
    >>> GJ

    Hi Ramesh,
    The same symptoms was observed on running HelpCtr.exe.

    However, The solution you sent does seem to address the issue and I will
    test it later.

    Thank you very much for your prompt replys and valuable suggestions.
    Best Regards,
    Glen

    > Glen,
    >
    > Is the result same when you run Helpctr.exe directly from Start/Run
    > dialog:
    >
    > %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe
    >
    > If so, a complete rebuild of Help might fix the problem. See
    >
    > Helpfix.txt: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Helpfix.txt
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Ramesh,
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >> Unfortunately the commands did not work including the utility in the Fix
    >> Windows XP Help: link.
    >> Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >> GJ
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> See if these commands help, from Start, Run dialog:
    >>>
    >>> helpctr -regserver
    >>> regsvr32 itss
    >>> regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    >>> regsvr32 jscript
    >>>
    >>> Fix Windows XP Help:
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP Shell/User
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> "Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> The solution you sent does seem to address the issue.

    That procedure rebuilds the help completely, thereby restoring missing files
    and settings.

    --

    > Hi Ramesh,
    > The same symptoms was observed on running HelpCtr.exe.
    >
    > However, The solution you sent does seem to address the issue and I will
    > test it later.
    >
    > Thank you very much for your prompt replys and valuable suggestions.
    > Best Regards,
    > Glen

    >> Glen,
    >>
    >> Is the result same when you run Helpctr.exe directly from Start/Run
    >> dialog:
    >>
    >> %windir%\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe
    >>
    >> If so, a complete rebuild of Help might fix the problem. See
    >>
    >> Helpfix.txt: http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/Helpfix.txt
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Glen" <gsj786@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Ramesh,
    >>> Thanks for your help.
    >>> Unfortunately the commands did not work including the utility in the Fix
    >>> Windows XP Help: link.
    >>> Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >>> GJ
    >>>
    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

Support Microsoft Windows XP