D-lin 614+ issue

Any help or suggestions appreciated. I have a home network that has Cox
high-speed, a cable modem, a D-link 614+ wireless router, one wired computer
and two auxiliary computers that link wirelessly. The system works, but is
not too fast. But that's not the question. If I disconnect the modem cable
from the router and connect it directly to the wired computer, it won't
connect to the internet. If I take one of the wireless computers and hook
it up directly to the cable modem wire, it won't connect. In other words,
the computers now will only connect through the router and not directly as
they could before the router installation. I update the 614+ firmware. Did
that have something to do with this? Is some code or something written now
to the os or modem that prevents direct connection? Does Cox have to reset
something for a direct connection to work? I'll gladly listen to all
advice. JG

peter

Sure, if you disconnect and reconnect another way, you change the MAC
address(es) the modem and ISP are "reading" from your setup and the link is
easily broken. This is not related to a particular router or modem.

The simplest way to solve this: just turn off all computers AND your modem.
Wait a few seconds, turn on the modem on then the computers. You will regain
access.

Peter

"JeffG" <jfgard44@pants.cox.net> a écrit dans le message de
> Any help or suggestions appreciated. I have a home network that has Cox
> high-speed, a cable modem, a D-link 614+ wireless router, one wired
computer
> and two auxiliary computers that link wirelessly. The system works, but
is
> not too fast. But that's not the question. If I disconnect the modem
cable
> from the router and connect it directly to the wired computer, it won't
> connect to the internet. If I take one of the wireless computers and hook
> it up directly to the cable modem wire, it won't connect. In other words,
> the computers now will only connect through the router and not directly as
> they could before the router installation. I update the 614+ firmware.
Did
> that have something to do with this? Is some code or something written
now
> to the os or modem that prevents direct connection? Does Cox have to
reset
> something for a direct connection to work? I'll gladly listen to all
> advice. JG

From what I've heard it's not a few SECONDS, it's more like more than
a minute or longer....

"Peter" <peterm@wanad00.com> wrote:

>Sure, if you disconnect and reconnect another way, you change the MAC
>address(es) the modem and ISP are "reading" from your setup and the link is
>easily broken. This is not related to a particular router or modem.
>
>The simplest way to solve this: just turn off all computers AND your modem.
>Wait a few seconds, turn on the modem on then the computers. You will regain
>access.
>
>Peter
>
>"JeffG" <jfgard44@pants.cox.net> a écrit dans le message de
>> Any help or suggestions appreciated. I have a home network that has Cox
>> high-speed, a cable modem, a D-link 614+ wireless router, one wired
>computer
>> and two auxiliary computers that link wirelessly. The system works, but
>is
>> not too fast. But that's not the question. If I disconnect the modem
>cable
>> from the router and connect it directly to the wired computer, it won't
>> connect to the internet. If I take one of the wireless computers and hook
>> it up directly to the cable modem wire, it won't connect. In other words,
>> the computers now will only connect through the router and not directly as
>> they could before the router installation. I update the 614+ firmware.
>Did
>> that have something to do with this? Is some code or something written
>now
>> to the os or modem that prevents direct connection? Does Cox have to
>reset
>> something for a direct connection to work? I'll gladly listen to all
>> advice. JG

peter

"gene martinez" <njkat@eclipse.net> a écrit dans le message de
> From what I've heard it's not a few SECONDS, it's more like more than
> a minute or longer....

For myself, I just disconnect, then reconnect after few seconds. The delay
could be related to the modem type and/or the ISP. God knows!

Regards!

> "Peter" <peterm@wanad00.com> wrote:
>
> >Sure, if you disconnect and reconnect another way, you change the MAC
> >address(es) the modem and ISP are "reading" from your setup and the link
is
> >easily broken. This is not related to a particular router or modem.
> >
> >The simplest way to solve this: just turn off all computers AND your
modem.
> >Wait a few seconds, turn on the modem on then the computers. You will
regain
> >access.
> >
> >Peter
> >
> >"JeffG" <jfgard44@pants.cox.net> a écrit dans le message de
> >> Any help or suggestions appreciated. I have a home network that has
Cox
> >> high-speed, a cable modem, a D-link 614+ wireless router, one wired
> >computer
> >> and two auxiliary computers that link wirelessly. The system works,
but
> >is
> >> not too fast. But that's not the question. If I disconnect the modem
> >cable
> >> from the router and connect it directly to the wired computer, it won't
> >> connect to the internet. If I take one of the wireless computers and
hook
> >> it up directly to the cable modem wire, it won't connect. In other
words,
> >> the computers now will only connect through the router and not directly
as
> >> they could before the router installation. I update the 614+ firmware.
> >Did
> >> that have something to do with this? Is some code or something written
> >now
> >> to the os or modem that prevents direct connection? Does Cox have to
> >reset
> >> something for a direct connection to work? I'll gladly listen to all
> >> advice. JG

"Peter" <peterm@wanad00.com> wrote:

>"gene martinez" <njkat@eclipse.net> a écrit dans le message de
>> From what I've heard it's not a few SECONDS, it's more like more than
>> a minute or longer....
>
>For myself, I just disconnect, then reconnect after few seconds. The delay
>could be related to the modem type and/or the ISP. God knows!
>
>Regards!

I guess so, I just know when talking to my cable isp they say to leave
it unpluged for more than a minute so on there end they will loose you
mac address...

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:16:20 -0400, "Peter" <peterm@wanad00.com>
wrote:

>Sure, if you disconnect and reconnect another way, you change the MAC
>address(es) the modem and ISP are "reading" from your setup and the link is
>easily broken. This is not related to a particular router or modem.
>
>The simplest way to solve this: just turn off all computers AND your modem.
>Wait a few seconds, turn on the modem on then the computers. You will regain
>access.
>
>Peter

You can also release the IP adres manually. In XP you can do;
IPCONFIG/RELEASE
of in other windows version use;
WINIPCFG

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Each Modem is different as is the configuration from the ISP. You need to
contact them and ask. Perhaps a cable modem router would be better for you
and that would eliminate your issue provided you do not need real world IP
addresses for Games, etc. If you just web and email it should work fine.

Michael