New ad From Bell ...

If you didn't see the new ad from Bell (In french), Snap in the
Montreal Metro.

http://www.deadpeopletastelikechicken.biz/blog/bell_fido.JPG

:-S
--
EDgAr H.
thiothixene[at]gmail[dot]com

    they are across the country..

    malingerer@shaw.ca wrote:

    > they are across the country..

    What is the english punch line ?

    (In french: ne vous laissez pas attacher par le nouveau maitre de Fido)

    >> they are across the country..
    >
    > What is the english punch line ?
    >
    > (In french: ne vous laissez pas attacher par le nouveau maitre de Fido)

    Fido is doing what's best for them.. are you?

    > Fido is doing what's best for them.. are you?

    So I says to a Bell Mobility rep, "I need a phone that I can use all over
    North America, plus England, Italy, Germany and sometimes parts of Asia
    which also provides relatively fast internet access. Do you have any
    that'll do that?"

    Mobility sales guy to me, "I'm sorry, we don't."

    Says I to the Bell Guy, "Then why the heck would I want to switch to you
    guys from Fido?"

    Mobility guy, flustered, "I don't have an answer for you."

    Gotta love it.

    malingerer@shaw.ca wrote:
    > > (In french: ne vous laissez pas attacher par le nouveau maitre de Fido)
    >
    > Fido is doing what's best for them.. are you?

    In english, the punch line just isn't as "fido" as in french. In french, it
    really relates to the dog theme, as well as implies that Rogers will put fido
    customers on a leash. That just isn't carried in the english version.

    JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >malingerer@shaw.ca wrote:
    >> > (In french: ne vous laissez pas attacher par le nouveau maitre de Fido)
    >>
    >> Fido is doing what's best for them.. are you?
    >
    >In english, the punch line just isn't as "fido" as in french. In french, it
    >really relates to the dog theme, as well as implies that Rogers will put fido
    >customers on a leash. That just isn't carried in the english version.

    You don't see it on the picture but there is a "MC" next to the FIdo
    and usually when they are talking about "a" dog using "Fido" for a
    name there isn't the "MC" next to it ...
    --

    <malingerer@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >they are across the country..

    Still ...

    --
    EDgAr H.
    thiothixene[at]gmail[dot]com
    DPTLC.biz

    The Mobility Guy is a tool. If he actually knew the services that he sold
    he would know about the global roaming.

    Not saying that it would be cheaper than Fido because I don't know the
    rates. As a short answer, Bell Mobility can provide you with service in all
    the areas you asked for. They can provide you with a GSM phone to use when
    you are travelling to areas without CDMA coverage.

    The question is not really is the service better than Fido offers, but is it
    better than rogers offers.

    G M

    In article <4185ECB6.51B07E08@teksavvy.com>,
    JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:
    >malingerer@shaw.ca wrote:
    >> > (In french: ne vous laissez pas attacher par le nouveau maitre de Fido)
    >>
    >> Fido is doing what's best for them.. are you?
    >
    >In english, the punch line just isn't as "fido" as in french. In french, it
    >really relates to the dog theme, as well as implies that Rogers will put fido
    >customers on a leash. That just isn't carried in the english version.

    Also, unless there's something else in the English ad that hasn't been
    mentioned here, what if the person reading the ad hasn't heard about
    the takeover? The French ad gives a hint. The English ad seems more
    obscure. What's fido doing? What am I supposed to be doing?

    David Gaudine, Systems Analyst, School of Graduate Studies
    Concordia University, Montreal davidg@alcor.concordia.ca

    i must be missing something, this ad sugest that
    Bell is now the new "fido owner" i tought Rogers
    was just finalizing its deal to purchase fido ?!?!?

    M4tt

    G M wrote:
    > the areas you asked for. They can provide you with a GSM phone to use when
    > you are travelling to areas without CDMA coverage.

    At what cost ? I remember when Fido "offered phones" for when travelling
    outside of 1900mhz areas. Thety refered you to some outfit that rented those
    phones for an arm and a leg. It was actually cheaper to just go to ueope and
    buy a cheap phone there.

    The fact is that that there are so many multi-band phones available that
    renting phones shouldn't be an issue anymore.

    Now that GSM has really caugh up in the USA, Bell/Telus could have announced
    they were converting to GSM/UMTS for their 3g offering so that they would join
    the rest of teh world. It might also have given CDMA is final well deserved
    death blow and allowed the gsm world standard to be come standard even in
    north america.

    M4tt wrote:

    > i must be missing something, this ad sugest that
    > Bell is now the new "fido owner" i tought Rogers
    > was just finalizing its deal to purchase fido ?!?!?

    The french ad is quite specific. It says that Fido is gettng a new master:
    Rogers. It is named in the ad.

    The english ad is way too subtle and only a few would actually catch it.

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:31:35 -0500, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >Now that GSM has really caugh up in the USA, Bell/Telus could have announced
    >they were converting to GSM/UMTS for their 3g offering so that they would join
    >the rest of teh world. It might also have given CDMA is final well deserved
    >death blow and allowed the gsm world standard to be come standard even in
    >north america.

    In a dream world are we? Before you can "kill off CDMA" in North
    America you have an extremely large target that being Verizon Wireless
    and Sprint PCS. They are in it for the long haul. At present CDMA
    1XEVDO high speed data is *it* if you want high speed mobile data.
    GPRS isn't even close. EDGE will be some competition, but it's not
    even nearly complete in implementation.

    Ian's story was "can Bell provide him with a phone (signifies a single
    phone) that works in North America, England, Italy, etc.?" GSM is used in
    more parts of the world than CDMA. I'm not saying that GSM is better than
    CDMA but the simple truth is that GSM is used in more places in the world
    than CDMA. A multiband GSM phone will most likely work in more places in the
    world than a CDMA phone.

    I'm sure that Bell can provide a GSM phone to a customer if the customer
    travels to an area not serviced by CDMA but then, the customer wouldn't be
    using ***HIS/HER*** phone (with all the features that he/she is accustomed
    to using). I'm using a GSM smartphone and I doubt that if I were to go with
    Bell and I bought one of their CDMA smartphones, if I travelled to an area
    not serviced by CDMA, that they would give me a GSM phone with the same
    features as what I'm currently using.

    "G M" <greggm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > The Mobility Guy is a tool. If he actually knew the services that he sold
    > he would know about the global roaming.
    >
    > Not saying that it would be cheaper than Fido because I don't know the
    > rates. As a short answer, Bell Mobility can provide you with service in
    > all the areas you asked for. They can provide you with a GSM phone to use
    > when you are travelling to areas without CDMA coverage.
    >
    > The question is not really is the service better than Fido offers, but is
    > it better than rogers offers.
    >
    > G M
    >
    > "Ian Ryerson" <swampyfern@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Fido is doing what's best for them.. are you?
    >>
    >> So I says to a Bell Mobility rep, "I need a phone that I can use all over
    >> North America, plus England, Italy, Germany and sometimes parts of Asia
    >> which also provides relatively fast internet access. Do you have any
    >> that'll do that?"
    >>
    >> Mobility sales guy to me, "I'm sorry, we don't."
    >>
    >> Says I to the Bell Guy, "Then why the heck would I want to switch to you
    >> guys from Fido?"
    >>
    >> Mobility guy, flustered, "I don't have an answer for you."
    >>
    >> Gotta love it.

    I agree that that it would definitely be more convienient, and possibly
    cheaper (as I don't know all the details on Global Roaming), to stick with
    Fido.

    My point is if the Mobility Guy became flustered and didn't have an answer
    to a simple question, he is a tool, he should know the products and services
    of the company he is representing much better. I myself would not have
    suggested that as a frequenent world traveller, that our services would be
    more convenient, or less expensive (as I don't know all the rates for the
    Global Roaming, nor the cost that Bell Mobility would charge for a
    mulit-band GSM phone). I would however, attempt to find a solution for the
    customer instead of getting "flustered". In his case I would not suggest
    that the customer change. I am not afraid to suggest another service if it
    is clearly in the customers best interest.

    This question is for Ian though, why were you looking for another option for
    your cell phone usage?

    G M

    "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*ing-companies.com> wrote
    in message news:oFYhd.43540$t45.1914803@weber.videotron.net...
    > Ian's story was "can Bell provide him with a phone (signifies a single
    > phone) that works in North America, England, Italy, etc.?" GSM is used in
    > more parts of the world than CDMA. I'm not saying that GSM is better than
    > CDMA but the simple truth is that GSM is used in more places in the world
    > than CDMA. A multiband GSM phone will most likely work in more places in
    > the world than a CDMA phone.
    >
    > I'm sure that Bell can provide a GSM phone to a customer if the customer
    > travels to an area not serviced by CDMA but then, the customer wouldn't be
    > using ***HIS/HER*** phone (with all the features that he/she is accustomed
    > to using). I'm using a GSM smartphone and I doubt that if I were to go
    > with Bell and I bought one of their CDMA smartphones, if I travelled to an
    > area not serviced by CDMA, that they would give me a GSM phone with the
    > same features as what I'm currently using.
    >

    > "G M" <greggm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> The Mobility Guy is a tool. If he actually knew the services that he
    >> sold he would know about the global roaming.
    >>
    >> Not saying that it would be cheaper than Fido because I don't know the
    >> rates. As a short answer, Bell Mobility can provide you with service in
    >> all the areas you asked for. They can provide you with a GSM phone to
    >> use when you are travelling to areas without CDMA coverage.
    >>
    >> The question is not really is the service better than Fido offers, but is
    >> it better than rogers offers.
    >>
    >> G M
    >>
    >> "Ian Ryerson" <swampyfern@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> So I says to a Bell Mobility rep, "I need a phone that I can use all
    >>> over North America, plus England, Italy, Germany and sometimes parts of
    >>> Asia which also provides relatively fast internet access. Do you have
    >>> any that'll do that?"
    >>>
    >>> Mobility sales guy to me, "I'm sorry, we don't."
    >>>
    >>> Says I to the Bell Guy, "Then why the heck would I want to switch to you
    >>> guys from Fido?"
    >>>
    >>> Mobility guy, flustered, "I don't have an answer for you."
    >>>
    >>> Gotta love it.

Fido Gmail Internet Service Providers