IE Hijack virus survived a full hard drive reformat

I spent the best part of the weekend trying to fix my PC after Internet
Explorer was hijacked whilst I tried to download some DVD ripping
software - be careful guys. Having tried loads of antivirus / spyware
removal software to no avail, and having noticed that this evil virus
had badly messed with the registry of my PC, I decided that the only
thing to do was to reformat the hard drive.

First I found that the instructions for reformatting my XP hard drive
would not work. I think the virus was preventing me from formatting it!
I got down to the "Press Y to format" bit, pressed Y and got a circular
prompt.

I eventually found a way to do it, having tweeked BIOS and booting XP
from CD instrad of hard drive. I managed to fully reformat the hard
drive - all files gone. The first thing I installed was my internet
connection. I had been connected for about five seconds before a pop-up
appeared, telling me that my computer was infected. I had not even
opened Internet Explorer yet.

Has anyone ever seen this before? A virus surviving a hard drive
formatting?? Has this thing messed with the magnetic polarity of the
particles of my physical hard drive??! Is there any way I will ever be
able to shift this? It is pure evil....any ideas would be much
appreciated. Thanks in avcance.

--
CassiusPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
4 answers Last reply

    You answered your own question....

    You connected to the internet without first having a firewall and antivirus
    software loaded and running.

    Yes, you can get infected within 5 seconds...

    In your case, it was probably just a spam Messenger file, still caused by
    the fact that you had no firewall and antivirus running (and I do not mean
    the worthless firewall that comes with Windows SP2).

    Unless you had a boot sector virus, there is no way that it could have
    survived a destruct format.

    Bobby

    "Cassius" <Cassius.1pw8hm@> wrote in message

    > I spent the best part of the weekend trying to fix my PC after Internet
    > Explorer was hijacked whilst I tried to download some DVD ripping
    > software - be careful guys. Having tried loads of antivirus / spyware
    > removal software to no avail, and having noticed that this evil virus
    > had badly messed with the registry of my PC, I decided that the only
    > thing to do was to reformat the hard drive.
    >
    > First I found that the instructions for reformatting my XP hard drive
    > would not work. I think the virus was preventing me from formatting it!
    > I got down to the "Press Y to format" bit, pressed Y and got a circular
    > prompt.
    >
    > I eventually found a way to do it, having tweeked BIOS and booting XP
    > from CD instrad of hard drive. I managed to fully reformat the hard
    > drive - all files gone. The first thing I installed was my internet
    > connection. I had been connected for about five seconds before a pop-up
    > appeared, telling me that my computer was infected. I had not even
    > opened Internet Explorer yet.
    >
    > Has anyone ever seen this before? A virus surviving a hard drive
    > formatting?? Has this thing messed with the magnetic polarity of the
    > particles of my physical hard drive??! Is there any way I will ever be
    > able to shift this? It is pure evil....any ideas would be much
    > appreciated. Thanks in avcance.
    >

    > --
    > CassiusPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    Recent test proove that an unprotected XP Computer (no filewall, no
    anti-virus, no spyware protection) will result in Virus infection, spyware
    infestation in 4 seconds during certain time of the day and in less than 1
    minute other times.

    Cassius Wrote:
    > The first thing I installed was my internet
    > connection. I had been connected for about five seconds before a
    > pop-up
    > appeared, telling me that my computer was infected. I had not even
    > opened Internet Explorer yet.
    >

    > --
    > CassiusPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    If that was the first thing you did, can I infer that you hadn't yet
    installed anti-virus, adaware, spybot search and destroy, spyware
    blaster and the microsoft free anti spyware software? (all these I find
    essential to keep your PC free from nasties)

    If you haven't got anti-virus, there are very good free ones available
    from Grisoft (AVG Free) and Avast!.

    It could simply be that connecting to the net unprotected you were
    quickly re-infected, this can literally happen in seconds if you
    haven't got anti-virus and something like the "tea timer" resident
    protection found in spybot search and destroy or microsoft's
    anti-spyware program.

    --
    flannelmeister

    An 'unprotected PC' connected to the internet can be infected within a
    matter of minutes.
    The virus didnt survive your formating, you just got reinfected.
    BTW you cannot format your sys drive within win. You 'have' to use the cd.
    Run an online scan via www.kaspersky.com or www.symantec.com
    Once up and running, ensure win is updated, buy a decent AV app and install
    a Firewall App
    If you had these in the first place it is unlikely you would have been
    infected, unless by user stupidity!
    If you want any specific help on the virus you will have to give us a clue -
    its name?!

    "Cassius" <Cassius.1pw8hm@> wrote in message

    > I spent the best part of the weekend trying to fix my PC after Internet
    > Explorer was hijacked whilst I tried to download some DVD ripping
    > software - be careful guys. Having tried loads of antivirus / spyware
    > removal software to no avail, and having noticed that this evil virus
    > had badly messed with the registry of my PC, I decided that the only
    > thing to do was to reformat the hard drive.
    >
    > First I found that the instructions for reformatting my XP hard drive
    > would not work. I think the virus was preventing me from formatting it!
    > I got down to the "Press Y to format" bit, pressed Y and got a circular
    > prompt.
    >
    > I eventually found a way to do it, having tweeked BIOS and booting XP
    > from CD instrad of hard drive. I managed to fully reformat the hard
    > drive - all files gone. The first thing I installed was my internet
    > connection. I had been connected for about five seconds before a pop-up
    > appeared, telling me that my computer was infected. I had not even
    > opened Internet Explorer yet.
    >
    > Has anyone ever seen this before? A virus surviving a hard drive
    > formatting?? Has this thing messed with the magnetic polarity of the
    > particles of my physical hard drive??! Is there any way I will ever be
    > able to shift this? It is pure evil....any ideas would be much
    > appreciated. Thanks in avcance.
    >

    > --
    > CassiusPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Hard Drives Windows XP