DVD R/RW incorrectly recognised

I have an NEC ND 3520 DVD R/RW drive attached to my laptop through a
cable adaptor that converts the IDE socket on the drive to USB.

When I first plugged it in a couple of months ago it worked perfectly.

Now however, device manager is mis-recognising it as an AXV CD/DVD ROM
SCSI cd rom device and so, naturally, it won't record. It will also not
read the DVDs I have backed up onro.

I have tried uninstalling it in device manager and scanning for
hardware changes and it keeps coming up the same. Somewhere in the XP
operating system it is obviously mis-associating it and keeps some sort
of record (in the driver cache?) that "recognises" it wrongly every
time.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried manually installing it
through add hardware in control panel but when I click on NEC, it only
has CD ROMs in the list to choose from so I can't tell it that it is a
DVD R/RW. There are no drivers on the manufacturers website as it uses
native windows drivers so I can't do a driver update to try to solve it
either. (I have rung the manufacturers and they confirm they have no
specific drivers).

Operating system is XP Pro SP2.

--
flannelmeister
1 answer Last reply

    Have you checked the NEC website for possible conflict on this DVD drive?
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "flannelmeister" wrote:

    > I have an NEC ND 3520 DVD R/RW drive attached to my laptop through a
    > cable adaptor that converts the IDE socket on the drive to USB.
    >
    > When I first plugged it in a couple of months ago it worked perfectly.
    >
    > Now however, device manager is mis-recognising it as an AXV CD/DVD ROM
    > SCSI cd rom device and so, naturally, it won't record. It will also not
    > read the DVDs I have backed up onro.
    >
    > I have tried uninstalling it in device manager and scanning for
    > hardware changes and it keeps coming up the same. Somewhere in the XP
    > operating system it is obviously mis-associating it and keeps some sort
    > of record (in the driver cache?) that "recognises" it wrongly every
    > time.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried manually installing it
    > through add hardware in control panel but when I click on NEC, it only
    > has CD ROMs in the list to choose from so I can't tell it that it is a
    > DVD R/RW. There are no drivers on the manufacturers website as it uses
    > native windows drivers so I can't do a driver update to try to solve it
    > either. (I have rung the manufacturers and they confirm they have no
    > specific drivers).
    >
    > Operating system is XP Pro SP2.
    >

    > --
    > flannelmeister