barisc

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
Hi,
I've just ordered an Alienware Area-51® 5300 System (built on Shuttle SB81P case). I would use this as a Media Center PC - which graphics card that includes a TV tuner adn VIVO would you recommend?

thanks & Happy New Year in 2005.
- Baris

cleeve

Illustrious
The best media center video cards are still Ati's all-in-wonder series.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And the reason you're looking for a video card with the tuner built in is because you made the bad decision to go with an SFF form factor box in the first place.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

barisc

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
how unhelpful could you be :) - thanks for SFF comment.
I guess space and design constraint is more important to me. it's called personal choice - any suggestions within the given constraint are always welcome.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would have suggested a Micro ATX desktop for a home theater, or a Micro ATX thin tower for a desk, either would have used up less usable space while providing more room for upgrades. Then you'd have enough space for a double-width video card, a hardware-compression TV card, and a top quality sound card, while SAVING space. But you didn't ask, you just bought, and made yourself an enemy of the hardware community in the process.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

barisc

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
Thank you for the ATX suggestion.

I currently have TiVo and the COMCAST HDTV PVR (Seattle) in the house as part of my home theater.

I'm planning on using the PC once in awhile for video editing hence I would like to have a TV Tuner in the PC.

( :) didn't mean to become an enemy)

thanks for the insights.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The All-In-Wonder cards have a good tuner, but it's not as good as a hardware-compression tuner card like the Hauppauge Win PVR 250.